JayMan16
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
My new teacher had been making my class read every single case within a topic. We are currently studying contract law and I feel he is making us do too much. Am I expected to remember all contract cases? If not please let me know the relevant cases.
Laurence010401
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Yes u do
My law teacher told us (my class) at the start of year 12 that we would have to remember hundreds of cases
Was scary to hear that at first but much easier than it sounds lol
Laurence010401
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
My favourite contract case so far is chapel v nestle
Gonna start selling chocolate wrappers now lmao
Laurence010401
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Are u doing law at a level like me? Or are u talking about university? If the latter then I’ve just made myself look a right idiot
DarkChaoz95
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by JayMan16)
My new teacher had been making my class read every single case within a topic. We are currently studying contract law and I feel he is making us do too much. Am I expected to remember all contract cases? If not please let me know the relevant cases.
I don't think its too hard to memorise the cases, all you need to know for each topic is the case name (no citation needed) i.e l'estrange v graucob and the legal principle i.e decision of the case. That's pretty much it.

knowing the case name + principle is the important things to remember so you know when to apply it to a given factual situation.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
At A Level you really don't need to be reading cases to get a good grade. As DarkChaoz95 says, knowing the case name and the principle that goes with it (and vice versa) is what's important.
Catherine1973
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
that's what i did - wrote all the cases out in a little pocket notebook with case name (and year, though i didn't bother learning that) and a brief summary.
And watched some youtube videos of lego people acting out criminal cases, that was funny. And just kept trying to learn the case names with some visual clues (ie related to someone i know or a famous person with same name doing that sort of crime). When in the exam, i looked at what sort of law each part was on (robbery or the assult side and quickly wrote down the key case names at the start)
Laurence010401
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Catherine1973)
And watched some youtube videos of lego people acting out criminal cases
Deffo gonna start doing that lmao
Catherine1973
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Laurence010401)
Deffo gonna start doing that lmao
Search Carol Withey to find them
username3917068
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Catherine1973)
Search Carol Withey to find them
i love u

I wonder if citing this in my bibliography is pushing it
but thank you nonetheless
CryinglawUK
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this is just the case with Contract Law. My universities the same. Sadly most of contract is based upon case law! x
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by CryinglawUK)
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this is just the case with Contract Law. My universities the same. Sadly most of contract is based upon case law! x
It is but that doesn't mean you have to read the judgment of every case. In fact that is rather inefficient. As ever - study smarter and not harder!
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by CryinglawUK)
Contract is a bit of a basic and artificial subject. You'll only ever really need the facts, principle, and a few quotes (which you'll get from your cases book). You can make clever arguments, which rely on having a fuller awareness of what was said in the case -- but academics have already done that in journals. Read the journals, which you'll be told to do, and you'll be A-OK.

I enjoy reading cases. It can help you out, and when you've spent a few hours looking at a case it tends to stick out in your mind. But you need to be sensible with your time, and not just think processing lots of info will get the job done. You need to spend many more hours than you spent reading considering the principles, facts and so on -- you don't wanna start doing this for the first time in an exam.
Last edited by Notoriety; 8 months ago
Mimir
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I agree with much above. In short, if you want to make a point of law in your answer (e.g. a valid contract requires an intention to treat) you must also have the name of the case to back it up.

In practice, we only really assert the principles developed from case law, but to get there you do need the legwork and learn almost by rote.

Learning a few facts about the cases is important too in order to decide if you can distinguish the scenario from the facts of the authority.

Law is voluminous. Nothing you can do to get around that fact.
Last edited by Mimir; 7 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (115)
17.37%
It's just nice to be back! (182)
27.49%
Not great so far... (238)
35.95%
I want to drop out! (127)
19.18%

Watched Threads