Subject choices Watch

Vladimir Poutine
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
It’s that difficult time of year again where we need to choose subjects for next year. I’ve spent seemingly an eternity pondering over my options and prospects; happy to say I’ve eventually come up with two main routes for further progression through school, shown below.

S5:
Higher English
Higher Maths
Higher Physics
Higher Modern Studies
Higher History

———> S6: Advanced Higher English, Advanced Higher Modern Studies, Advanced Higher History maybe with Higher RMPS as well if allowed

OR

S5:
Higher English
Higher Maths
Higher Physics ?
Higher Modern Studies
Higher French

———> S6: Advanced Higher English, Advanced Higher Modern Studies, Higher RMPS, Higher History

All S5 subjects will be ones I have studied at Nat5 level, where I’m predicted for all A’s in the final exams (which I achieved in the prelims). My ambitions after school are to study Law at University and from there see where that takes me. So I guess my main questions are as follows:

1. Have you studied any of these at various levels, and if so how did you find them in terms of enjoyment and difficulty?
2. If you took a language at Higher do you think this was a good decision that helps Uni/general prospects? How much exactly might it boost application chances if so?
3. You may notice the question mark next to the Physics Higher, that is because - typically - while writing this I’ve become uncertain again. I’d say I’m decent in it and just scraped an A2 in my prelim, although my reason for continuing it was mainly to have a more diverse subject base and assumed a science Higher could reflect well on me in applying. Is this reasoning fair, or if I were to go ahead with all written-based ones excepting Maths would that be ok?
4. Which of the two pathway options looks like the best to you?

If you can answer even just one of these questions or can give input about anything I may have missed I’d be grateful.
学生の父
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Vladimir Poutine)
It’s that difficult time of year again where we need to choose subjects for next year. I’ve spent seemingly an eternity pondering over my options and prospects; happy to say I’ve eventually come up with two main routes for further progression through school, shown below.

S5:
Higher English
Higher Maths
Higher Physics
Higher Modern Studies
Higher History

———> S6: Advanced Higher English, Advanced Higher Modern Studies, Advanced Higher History maybe with Higher RMPS as well if allowed

OR

S5:
Higher English
Higher Maths
Higher Physics ?
Higher Modern Studies
Higher French

———> S6: Advanced Higher English, Advanced Higher Modern Studies, Higher RMPS, Higher History

All S5 subjects will be ones I have studied at Nat5 level, where I’m predicted for all A’s in the final exams (which I achieved in the prelims). My ambitions after school are to study Law at University and from there see where that takes me. So I guess my main questions are as follows:

1. Have you studied any of these at various levels, and if so how did you find them in terms of enjoyment and difficulty?
2. If you took a language at Higher do you think this was a good decision that helps Uni/general prospects? How much exactly might it boost application chances if so?
3. You may notice the question mark next to the Physics Higher, that is because - typically - while writing this I’ve become uncertain again. I’d say I’m decent in it and just scraped an A2 in my prelim, although my reason for continuing it was mainly to have a more diverse subject base and assumed a science Higher could reflect well on me in applying. Is this reasoning fair, or if I were to go ahead with all written-based ones excepting Maths would that be ok?

If you can answer even just one of these questions or can give input about anything I may have missed I’d be grateful.
Hi Vlad.

I'm wondering if you took Higher History in S5 instead of Physics, would you then be able to take it at Advanced Higher in S6? Or just take RMPS at S5 instead of Physics, with 3 AHs in S6 - English, Modern Studies and History.

Either would give you an excellent grounding for Law at university (as indeed would the two potential pathways you have outlined above).

Yes, personally I think taking French at S5 would be better than Physics (especially as you say that isn't your strongest subject). But then I'm a linguist, so I would say that wouldn't I! You've got Maths, so that should tick the non-writing box.
Vladimir Poutine
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 学生の父)
Hi Vlad.

I'm wondering if you took Higher History in S5 instead of Physics, would you then be able to take it at Advanced Higher in S6? Or just take RMPS at S5 instead of Physics, with 3 AHs in S6 - English, Modern Studies and History.

Either would give you an excellent grounding for Law at university (as indeed would the two potential pathways you have outlined above).

Yes, personally I think taking French at S5 would be better than Physics (especially as you say that isn't your strongest subject). But then I'm a linguist, so I would say that wouldn't I! You've got Maths, so that should tick the non-writing box.
Thank you so much for your very prompt reply, that’s really helpful. I am beginning to reconsider wether or not Physics really belongs in any of those lists, and think it might be a better choice to definitely not to drop History. French replacing Physics in the first list might work best, I think you could be right.

Again, thank you!
Labrador99
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Vladimir Poutine)

S5:
Higher English
Higher Maths
Higher Physics
Higher Modern Studies
Higher History

OR

S5:
Higher English
Higher Maths
Higher Physics ?
Higher Modern Studies
Higher French

Either of those options would be more than fine for Law (unless you want to go to an English uni, which may require 3 AHs, in which case option 1 for S6).

To answer your questions...
1. I've done English, maths and physics at higher...English mirrors Nat 5 in terms of the structure of the course, but you need to do more in depth analysis etc. to get the marks. Maths and physics are ones that people who struggled with Nat 5 dropped, and people who did okay at Nat 5 struggled a bit with higher. They are both a step up as you would expect, but if you put the work in and are doing well with Nat 5, I don't think you'll have too much of a problem with them.
2. I didn't take a language at higher, but unless universities specify that it is advantageous (which for most courses it isn't) then it doesn't particularly matter whether you have one or not. If you enjoy and do well in French, pick it, if you would only try and pick it to give you the edge in uni applications, it probably won't.
3. Similar to French, unless you think you might want to pursue something that needs physics, it won't matter whether you have it or not. While some people will advocate for a broad subject range, if the unis haven't specified it, it own't advantage you and you shouldn't feel obliged to pick it.
4. Either one of the two looks more than fine. Choose the set of subjects that are likely to result in the best grade outcomes (which will hopefully match up with what you enjoy most), as ultimately when it comes to applying to law, so long as you have the required subjects, it's the grades that matter more than what you picked for the remainder of your choices.

Hope this helps!
Vladimir Poutine
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Certainly does, thank you.

In the end I settled on English, Maths, Modern Studies, History and French. These were the four which came out strongest in prelims and which I know I’ll enjoy. Your comments were very insightful and I think the consideration of enjoyment and grades is really important.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (83)
58.45%
No (59)
41.55%

Watched Threads