A2 Biology - photosynthesis questions help! Watch

science_geeks
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone,

I've had a go at the end of chapter questions in the AQA biology textbook on photosynthesis after revising the topic but, unfortunately I've got pretty much all the questions wrong. I feel like I understand the topic but, I really don't know how to get to the mark scheme answer either. If possible, please could someone go through the questions with me to help me better understand where I went wrong? It would be much appreciated since, I'm really stuck and I don't know what I could do differently to get a better mark in these questions.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
science_geeks
Rep:
?
Any Help would be really appreciated! ☺️
Untamed-child
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
use physics and maths tutor they are really helpful and use mindmaps by this i mean take a piece of plain paper and have a few words on flashcards or something use those words as hints and put everything you know about photosynthesis then check with the CGP book or the big AQA textbook. Oh and use videos like tailored tutors they have some free content on youtube. Make sure you look at the mark scheme and write down common questions that you often get wrong.

Hope this helps
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by science_geeks)
Hi everyone,

I've had a go at the end of chapter questions in the AQA biology textbook on photosynthesis after revising the topic but, unfortunately I've got pretty much all the questions wrong. I feel like I understand the topic but, I really don't know how to get to the mark scheme answer either. If possible, please could someone go through the questions with me to help me better understand where I went wrong? It would be much appreciated since, I'm really stuck and I don't know what I could do differently to get a better mark in these questions.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
First thing to do is to thoroughly check out your revision techniques and make sure that they work for you . Then create swot cards and mind maps for the whole topic. Then did A2 photosynthesis questions on the internet. Do timed answers . Then check details in your textbook then in your Mark scheme. You will improve significantly if you do this regularly when studying. Laziness kills grades!
science_geeks
Rep:
?
(Original post by y.lattice)
use physics and maths tutor they are really helpful and use mindmaps by this i mean take a piece of plain paper and have a few words on flashcards or something use those words as hints and put everything you know about photosynthesis then check with the CGP book or the big AQA textbook. Oh and use videos like tailored tutors they have some free content on youtube. Make sure you look at the mark scheme and write down common questions that you often get wrong.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the advice. I already use Physics and maths tutor but just for questions their revision material doesnt really help me much. That's the thing I completely understand photosynthesis but it's just the AQA textbook questions that I've done rubbishly in. I just wanted to go through those one's specifically. I haven't heard of tailored tutors before so, I'll take a look. I've even started to create a model answers library for biology, where for the most repeatedly asked question's I'd write down in there with their mark scheme answers.
science_geeks
Rep:
?
(Original post by mgi)
First thing to do is to thoroughly check out your revision techniques and make sure that they work for you . Then create swot cards and mind maps for the whole topic. Then did A2 photosynthesis questions on the internet. Do timed answers . Then check details in your textbook then in your Mark scheme. You will improve significantly if you do this regularly when studying. Laziness kills grades!
Thank you for the suggestions! I use multiple revision techniques - I mostly use flashcards but also use textbooks, CGP guides and school notes too. What's a swot card? Haven't heard of that before! I use revision flashcards so, they'd be like my mini notes everything that I need to know condensed on a small card. Trust me, that's similar to what I do already!! It's just these specific questions that I've looked to the mark scheme too as well but, I just don't see how the answers and questions are related. I think it might be because the questions involve a lot of graph work and quite less actual photosynthesis knowledge. I've tried the photosynthesis questions that were on PMT and I've done alright in them (a lot better than the questions from the AQA Textbook) I really want to correct myself but really don't know how to because I don't even understand where they've got the answers from!
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by science_geeks)
Thank you for the suggestions! I use multiple revision techniques - I mostly use flashcards but also use textbooks, CGP guides and school notes too. What's a swot card? Haven't heard of that before! I use revision flashcards so, they'd be like my mini notes everything that I need to know condensed on a small card. Trust me, that's similar to what I do already!! It's just these specific questions that I've looked to the mark scheme too as well but, I just don't see how the answers and questions are related. I think it might be because the questions involve a lot of graph work and quite less actual photosynthesis knowledge. I've tried the photosynthesis questions that were on PMT and I've done alright in them (a lot better than the questions from the AQA Textbook) I really want to correct myself but really don't know how to because I don't even understand where they've got the answers from!
Sounds like you need more prsctice with data /experimental interpretation questions relating to photosynthesis. You are of course aware that you are dealing with a very practical subject as well! Actually graphical questions really do test a students full understanding of photosynthesis in terms of, for example, understanding in detail what the effect of the various limiting factors are on photosynthesis in detail. the effect of a lack of magnesium mineral on photosynthesis etc. You will be rewarded for your determination to succeed so press on! Check the source of the markscheme and hunt down an A2 biology teacher for help! or publish the questions on this forum and see if someone can help. A swot card is the same as a flash card!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?