Stupid voting Watch

Abaddon rex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Vinny C)
I'm referring to the decision to hold the referendum in the first place, not what motivated the voters. Most leavers voted as they did because they felt ignored and disenfranchised... a spot of attention seeking.
How arrogant you are to assume you know the motivations of people you have never met.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Most/many... if your only criticism is petty semantics then I'm doing quite well. No objection to the first bit, then?
That is fair, I agree that some people voted leave because they felt disenfranchised. However, I think many others voted for other reasons that had nothing to do with political engagement and more to do with their own personal lives.

On the other hand, one can argue that some remainers voted to remain on emotions rather than sensible reasons. For example, an English woman voted to remain because her husband was from the EU [country name intentionally removed]. When she was probed about other reasons, she had nothing else to mention. I was shocked that people voted on basis of marriage rather than the good of the nation. Some people are married to Iranians, Russians and North Koreans, should we demand closer political integration with North Korea??
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
That is fair, I agree that some people voted leave because they felt disenfranchised. However, I think many others voted for other reasons that had nothing to do with political engagement and more to do with their own personal lives.

On the other hand, one can argue that some remainers voted to remain on emotions rather than sensible reasons. For example, an English woman voted to remain because her husband was from the EU [country name intentionally removed]. When she was probed about other reasons, she had nothing else to mention. I was shocked that people voted on basis of marriage rather than the good of the nation. Some people are married to Iranians, Russians and North Koreans, should we demand closer political integration with North Korea??
Certainly... see how happy they all look. Or is that just compared to Trump? Keep your hair on, Donald!

Last edited by Vinny C; 1 week ago
pe-goose
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Drewski)
No, I call people out for being idiots, regardless of political leaning.
The answer of a true idiot. There's always one.
pe-goose
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wired_1800)
There is a subtle hope among remainers that another vote would keep the UK in the EU, but what happens if the second vote is for Brexit? Do we have a third vote? It is ridiculous.

Also, should Scotland have a second vote after the SNP lost the first one?

This is really silly.
Thing is ppl who voted remain...kinda have seen how messed up everything is in EU, and would want to vote leave. My parents voted stay, as they just weren't sure. They both said if there's another vote they will vote to leave.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by pe-goose)
Thing is ppl who voted remain...kinda have seen how messed up everything is in EU, and would want to vote leave. My parents voted stay, as they just weren't sure. They both said if there's another vote they will vote to leave.
People voted leave or remain for many reasons. My girlfriend voted remain because she was not convinced that the UK would be stronger outside the EU. She basically listened to the arguments on both sides and voted for the side that she felt had stronger points. Her father voted leave because he hated the bureaucracy within the EU.

People made choices and went with them. It was not based on reasons that the media and remain politicians are trying to peddle to the masses.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Certainly... see how happy they all look. Or is that just compared to Trump?

That’s the point.

Some people make decisions based on very flimsy reasons that shout about it. Some kids voted remain, so they can be able to cheaply travel to mainland Europe. it is insane to base a serious decision on whether you would be able to go get smashed in Amsterdam or Tenerife.
pe-goose
Rep:
?
I personally think it's a bad idea to let ex pat's vote as well ...you leave you shouldn't get a vote. I don't know who's idea that is
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (238)
59.65%
No (161)
40.35%

Watched Threads