rory29901283
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am thinking of going to Portsmouth uni and was just wondering what the nightlife is like, I've been to Portsmouth loads but with family not on a night out. and secondly if there is a drum and bass scene there or if it is non existent? <3
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rory29901283)
I am thinking of going to Portsmouth uni and was just wondering what the nightlife is like, I've been to Portsmouth loads but with family not on a night out. and secondly if there is a drum and bass scene there or if it is non existent? <3
Moved to University of Portsmouth

Tagging the official rep for the uni, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rory29901283)
Hi @rory29901283

Portsmouth night life is great, and there is a drum and bass scene.

There are a number of places to go in Portsmouth all offer a different type of night out, and most of them have a dedicated student night so you know where to go for a good crowd on what day.

Firstly we have our most popular club with students Astoria, which is often connected to Mr Miyagi next door. Mr Miyagi is more R&B and Astoria offers House music and drum and base split accross two levels. They often have bigger DJ acts such as MK. These are situated down Guildhall walk which is really close to the halls, in fact from James Watson you can look out the window and see what the ques are like before you decide to leave. There are also other bars down there to go to before Astoria.

We also have Prysm which is a huge club that plays music you can sing to, like chart music. Again this is very close to the halls of residence, and is over the road from Catherine House. We also have Popworld and fleet, which is very popular on Wednesdays for our official night out. This is where all the societies get together and go out. Popworld plays cheesy music and fleet plays house.

Down in gunwarf we have Tiger Tiger which is our "fancy" night out. The one everyone gets more dressed up for and you can go for coctails first in Slug and Lettuce. Not sure if you have a Tiger near to you but its got different rooms, its got an R&B room, cheese music room, house music room and a wierd hawaii themed one.

We also have lots of independant bars and pubs - Albert Road is a hot spot for second and thrird year students. The one eyed dog is really good and plays different music on different days. Some of them play more indie music too - also a great place to find good food!

If you want a change of scene you can also go to Southampton for a night out. You can get the train there and share a taxi back and it wouldn't be that expensive, especially if you got a group of you together.

There are loads of places and the student nights are changing all the time, you also have the Union where they do quiz nights.

Hope this helps, let me know if you want to know anything else.

Alex - UoP Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.47%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (32)
15.92%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (33)
16.42%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (30)
14.93%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (55)
27.36%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (38)
18.91%

Watched Threads