It's World Cancer Day! Watch

Analyst89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hello friends

Today is World Cancer Day!

Cancer is a terrible disease which takes many, many lives each year. You can have breast cancer, lung cancer, bowel cancer, brain tumour, bladder cancer, prostate cancer, blood cancer.

Unfortunately, I've lost two dear one's with cancer and you may know someone who has had cancer too.

To detect cancer:

-If you feel tired all the time
-Unusual lump or swelling
-If you feel unusual discomfort in your body
-Very heavy night sweats
-Blood in your poo
-Difficulty peeing
-Coughing up blood

You need to see a doctor and get this checked out, which the doctor will take a blood test. Also there will be breast screenings, bowel screenings, cervical screening which can all help spot cancer early.

Preventing cancer, we need to first look at what can cause cancer:

Consuming a bad diet, a stressful lifestle, use of tobacco, alchohol and being overweight and sunburn can increase the risk of cancer.

Also:

-Canned foods: the lining of canned foods contain bisphoenal a which is known to increase cancer. Many plastic packaging also contain this.
-Soda's which have harmful colors, preservatives loaded with sugers. What is harmful is hidden sugers added by manufacturers in processed and packaged foods.
-Microwaveable popcorn which the bag has peruflouro-octanic acid. The corn kernals are genetically modified and the fumes released from the aritifical butter contain diacetyl which are toxic to humans
-Hydrogenated fats: Change the shape of membranes and promote the growth of abnormal cells.

The treatment of cancer

Treating cancer can take part in various forms such as surgery, physiotherapy, radiotherapy, cancer drugs, stem cell and bone marrow transplant.

Ways you can support and fund

There are any ways to fund and raise awareness. There are cancer runs all across the country which you can get yourself sponsored by family, friends, acquaintances, co workers etc. Also you can give money to charity such as cancer research uk, anthony nolan charity to name just two.
Last edited by Analyst89; 11 months ago
Analyst89
Rep:
?
You can all add and share your experiences .
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Wow thank you for all this info! I've known quite a few people affected by cancer, including people very close to me. It's a scary thing but it's made easier by seeking help as soon as you need! Generally the sooner you seek help the better.

What are people experiences with a diagnosis of cancer of a loved one or even yourself?
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Also really sorry to hear you've lost two people to cancer and know someone with it. Do you have any tips for this difficult experience? Analyst89
Rock Fan
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Lost my Nan to cancer, also one of my good friends as a terminal brain tumour
tesconyc
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I don't have cancer
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Lost my grandad to it, my two grandma's both survived cancer and my other grandad has oesophagael cancer at the moment treatment is helping but they can't remove the tumor so it's quite likely we ll lose him to it at some point.
Analyst89
Rep:
?
(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
Also really sorry to hear you've lost two people to cancer and know someone with it. Do you have any tips for this difficult experience? Analyst89
Thank you!

It was an aunty and a friend. Especially the friend who unfortunately had the cancer spread. He was very positive. He even said "I'm worried more about my parents". He was just positive and his courage, mental strength inspired all of us. He was not willing to give up.

You just got to be in there them, support them in their time.
Last edited by Analyst89; 11 months ago
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Great way to spread awareness
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Also national sickie day... any connection?
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I think there's a lot of 'stigma' around cancer, for want of a better word - a lot of people find the word scary, and I think that makes it more difficult for people to talk about what they or a loved one are going through, without ultimately having to reassure the person they're talking to, which really shouldn't be the case!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (99)
49.5%
No (101)
50.5%

Watched Threads