Received a Parking Charge Notice Watch

MikePL
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Two weekends ago I went to an awards night that was held at a hotel in town. I decided to drive to the hotel as I wasn't planning on drinking much and left my car in the hotel car park. I know that the hotel requires visitors to pay during the day however as it was late at night and I was a guest I maybe stupidly assumed that I wouldn't have to pay for using the car park. And when I entered the hotel lobby, there was nobody at the desk where you need to pay if you are using the car park during the day so again I just assumed I didn't have to pay. Fast forward to now and I have received a Parking Charge Notice stating that I didn't pay for enough time I had my car parked in the hotel.

I have since spoken to the hotel and they have said that they will speak to the company that operates the car park and see if they can cancel the fine but the company will have final say. I realise I am probably at fault here but it doesn't seem fair that I have been fined when I have been using the hotels facilities an buying drinks and spending money in the hotel. Is there any other appeals I can do?
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by MikePL)
Two weekends ago I went to an awards night that was held at a hotel in town. I decided to drive to the hotel as I wasn't planning on drinking much and left my car in the hotel car park. I know that the hotel requires visitors to pay during the day however as it was late at night and I was a guest I maybe stupidly assumed that I wouldn't have to pay for using the car park. And when I entered the hotel lobby, there was nobody at the desk where you need to pay if you are using the car park during the day so again I just assumed I didn't have to pay. Fast forward to now and I have received a Parking Charge Notice stating that I didn't pay for enough time I had my car parked in the hotel.

I have since spoken to the hotel and they have said that they will speak to the company that operates the car park and see if they can cancel the fine but the company will have final say. I realise I am probably at fault here but it doesn't seem fair that I have been fined when I have been using the hotels facilities an buying drinks and spending money in the hotel. Is there any other appeals I can do?
There's loads of info available online. You might be able to wriggle out under one of the technicalities, but as you say, you made some poor assumptions so don't be surprised if you have to pay up.
xDron3
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No, there would be a sign somewhere stating the terms of parking. Your argument wouldn't hold up anywhere.

Hope the hotel can do you a favour, if not you'll have to pay up, which is better to do sooner rather than later if you get an early payment opportunity.
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by MikePL)

Who's the parking company?
StriderHort
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I suspect the issue is you were a guest of whatever the awards thing is, NOT the hotel, and as said, you knew they charged for parking, to me 'hotel guest' = you've registered and booked a room.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (215)
60.06%
No (143)
39.94%

Watched Threads