Student Parents... Watch

bethg23
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My husband and I are thinking about studying degree at the same time. We have 3 children.
Is anyone else in a similar position? Do you claim any benefits?
Thanks
CheeseIsVeg
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bethg23)
My husband and I are thinking about studying degree at the same time. We have 3 children.
Is anyone else in a similar position? Do you claim any benefits?
Thanks
Hey there :hi:
Have just put your thread into our Mature Students forum so that I hope you may get a few more responses relevant to your query!
You could have a look at student finance/scholarship requirements/government funding schemes or consider something such as the Open University as I suspect you may not both have time to do a full-time degree? What sort of thing were you looking for/considering?
Do have a look around!
In the meantime as I'm no expert, :bump:
bethg23
Rep:
?
(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
Hey there :hi:
Have just put your thread into our Mature Students forum so that I hope you may get a few more responses relevant to your query!
You could have a look at student finance/scholarship requirements/government funding schemes or consider something such as the Open University as I suspect you may not both have time to do a full-time degree? What sort of thing were you looking for/considering?
Do have a look around!
In the meantime as I'm no expert, :bump:
Hey! Thank you so much! Not sure how to use this!
I’m going to study dental therapy and hygiene so no option for distance learning.
My husband is looking at a school for electronic music... it’s possible he can do it online but we can’t see a way of getting maintenance loans etc.
All info online is ‘you could get...’, so I was just hoping to get some real feedback from other students...
x x
Moments
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m going to study dental therapy and hygiene so no option for distance learning.
My husband is looking at a school for electronic music... it’s possible he can do it online but we can’t see a way of getting maintenance loans etc.
All info online is ‘you could get...’, so I was just hoping to get some real feedback from other students...
x x
https://www.gov.uk/get-undergraduate-student-loan

The steps are laid out there, but i don't believe you can get the maintenance loan and benefits (don't quote me though) it's one or the other.

I will say as a self-funded mature student it's expensive if you want to do it full time without working at all. My outgoings in total are around £20k a year for both tuition and the living/travelling basics, that's without any kids. A friend on my course has a young boy and she works the 3 off days a week, without any time for assignments or further learning, her grades suffer despite her being a very clever girl.

Just have to sit down and work out your household outgoings now and decide whether you can both stop work for 3 years.
bethg23
Rep:
?
We think we could maybe get by with the maintenance loans and my husband working part time too. Our income is pretty low now so if we sold our house to pay off debt that’d help!
It’s just not very clear what we could actually borrow...
Thank you for responding x x
claireestelle
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
We think we could maybe get by with the maintenance loans and my husband working part time too. Our income is pretty low now so if we sold our house to pay off debt that’d help!
It’s just not very clear what we could actually borrow...
Thank you for responding x x
Renting as students, especially a family can be tricky so i d look at other options before selling your house. You should both get maximum student loans, you won't have to pay council tax and there's a childcare grant and parental learning allowance that one of you can get. You might get some universal credit too
bethg23
Rep:
?
No bank will lend to us for a mortgage as students, so if we relocate we’d have to rent if at all possible... perhaps social housing?
Ah ok that’s great to know about the council tax, thank you. X
CheeseIsVeg
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
x x
No problem!
Ah okay, I see! :hugs:

:bump: I hope you get even more useful advice here!
SPEW
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't know if it's changed now but back in the day (going back 10 years now) my partner and I claimed benefits as well as me studying full time. He has a little boy who was 2 at the time so was a stay at home dad. The loan I got didn't count towards income from the benefits perspective. Your best bet is to have a chat with citizens advise and see what they can advise.
bethg23
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
THAts great thank you, will go to citizens advice then 😊 it looks like we might be able to get something... all just uncertain x x
SPEW
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This page has a lot of good info on it though as it says, everyones circumstances are different

https://www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk/money/students-children/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.83%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.92%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.18%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.72%

Watched Threads