milliemayx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I have to decide my gcses very soon and I have no idea wether to take business or photography. My dad said he can always teach me the basics of photography as he is a camera man but I don’t know if I would enjoy business more or not? Please give me positives and negatives for both 😬
SoftGingerCat
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I can only speak on an a level basis but photography (according to my boyfriend) is really hard and I know he had to spend alot of money on camera and lens. Meanwhile I took business studies and, as baised as it sounds, I absolutely love it. I wish I had taken business studies at GCSEs now. Business studies is also something that can teach you general things about the world and loads of universities and colleges love it when students have a qualification in it! Hope this helps!~
thatlauramill
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Though I take neither for a GCSE, I would say that business would be a more suitable choice. Photography can be taught anywhere nowadays - there are many books and tutorials that you can get for free. Business, however, is more something that should be taught in a classroom, because the concepts are harder to grasp.
On the other hand, if you have a passion for the subject, you may want to choose photography. Just remember that though it is not necessary to become a photographer with a photography GCSE, it is very helpful to have a Business GCSE if you want to pursue business.
Hope this helps!
milliemayx
Rep:
?
Thankyou I think I will take business as I will probably find it more intresting x
unknownalienn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by milliemayx)
So I have to decide my gcses very soon and I have no idea wether to take business or photography. My dad said he can always teach me the basics of photography as he is a camera man but I don’t know if I would enjoy business more or not? Please give me positives and negatives for both 😬
As someone who did their GCSE a few months ago I would say that from experience from people around me, photography as a GCSE is pretty easy but it gets boring after a while. I don't know what exam board you will be doing but with AQA 60% of it is coursework so all you will be doing for most of the two years are taking photos in the style of someone else, putting those photos on a board(usually a black A3 piece of paper) and then do the same thing over and over again. Normally you can choose some independant photographers and add them to your work if you want to aim for a higher mark. You normally get more independence when it comes to doing your exam prep so if you're creative and love taking photos then I would recommend it.
However I am currently doing Business Studies as an A Level right now and I know that I would've preferred to have done it for my GCSEs. It depends on what you what to do. If you don't know then I would personally go for photography because it is more creative but I think it also depends on what other subjects you are thinking of doing. If you are thinking of doing hard subjects then i would recommend photography but if most of your options are quite creative such as art, or graphics, then I would go for business.
HobbinsE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by milliemayx)
Photography at that level is more writing about pictures than taking them or at least it was when I did it 3-4 years ago. A few of my friends did business and said it was the easiest subject they chose and they got to go on trips for it as well.
milliemayx
Rep:
?
Thankyou !
milliemayx
Rep:
?
Thankyou x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
18.21%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (82)
28.18%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (108)
37.11%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (38)
13.06%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed