The Student Room Group

Don't Know What to do

Long Post ahead be warned :smile:

Basically, I tried immensely hard in years 9 and 10 and took all my predicted grades to 8s. Even with all the awful teachers we had (about 10 throughout the year for sciences).

Since then, in year 11, in my mocks my grades slipped drastically.
Chem, Bio, R.S., Maths = 5
Geog, Phys = 6
Eng Lit - 7
Eng Lang, Psychology = 8
(French and Computing = 3, but these don't matter XD)

I am to do Chemistry, Biology and Psychology for A level and as you can see, it's not ideal. I need at least 7s and 8s for all 3 and am only on 5s.

Moreover, my parents are Asian and, typically, don't exactly give a sh!t about feelings and stuff. So to say I've been feeling down lately is an understatement. Cried for the first time in years cos of emotions (which felt weird af). I don't actually want to do chemistry AT ALL for A levels becuase I hate the subject and I am going to die in years 12 and 13, but my mum pressured my. Even now, she thinks psychology is a soft and pointless option to take even though it is by far my best. I don't mind about Biology because I like it. Ideally, I would like to have picked Psychology, English and Biology but I can forget that because... SHOCK my parents are Asian and dont give a damn about what i wanna do yay.

Every time I sit to revise I get distracted somehow.

I have mini mocks over the next month and am revising hard for these, but parents are ripping into me about failures and completely disregarding my 7s and 8 grades, because of course, if you're Asian, anything less than a 7 is basically a U. That's extremely off putting and not helping at all with my mental state cos now all I can bloody think about is failing and what am I gonna do if i don't get the grades I want.

Now of course, you can say that, just don't listen to them and do what I want and stuff, but not as simple as that considering I am obviously seeing them everyday and now my GCSEs are the big thing going on so it comes up at least once a day.

Any kind words or help or advice or empathy or how to improve in subjects (specifically maths) would be so very, very appreciated.

Much love...
Reply 1
My parents are (South) Asian, and boy they are different to yours. Yes they want me to do well etc. but they've never pressured me into doing a particular course etc. I completely bombed my GCSE's 2 years ago, just managed to get passes in english,maths, and my highest Grade I got was a B in Business. Fastforward to 2019, im in year 13 and am doing very well, got an A in Business, A* in Finance and a B in Law.

GCSE's do not mean everything, in fact it would be helpful if you told us your future ambitions. Do you plan to go to uni? If so, do some research, where do you want to go? what do you want to study? What are their GCSE requirements? I've recieved offers from all 3 of my chosen Unis, trust me its a breeze. Don't even stress, think of GCSEs as a stepping stone for A levels, and A levels a stepping stone for Uni. You need to stop stressing over GCSE's, take a laid back approach, as I fear all the stress your going thru might actually make u worse off academically.

Finally, listen to your parents, but remember, your doing this primarily for you. Make choices that you know you want to make, I mean, whats the worst that can happen? Your parents will hate you for a few days, a week maybe. You just need to sit down with them, explain your choices and why you made them, and your career ambitions. Trust me, once you take a laid back approach to life its a breeze.
Thank you. Insane help. The timetables never seem to work for me cos I just feel the need to not stop making notes on a subject until it's all complete for that one subject. If that makes sense. But thanks!
Original post by Fekky.
My parents are (South) Asian, and boy they are different to yours. Yes they want me to do well etc. but they've never pressured me into doing a particular course etc. I completely bombed my GCSE's 2 years ago, just managed to get passes in english,maths, and my highest Grade I got was a B in Business. Fastforward to 2019, im in year 13 and am doing very well, got an A in Business, A* in Finance and a B in Law.

GCSE's do not mean everything, in fact it would be helpful if you told us your future ambitions. Do you plan to go to uni? If so, do some research, where do you want to go? what do you want to study? What are their GCSE requirements? I've recieved offers from all 3 of my chosen Unis, trust me its a breeze. Don't even stress, think of GCSEs as a stepping stone for A levels, and A levels a stepping stone for Uni. You need to stop stressing over GCSE's, take a laid back approach, as I fear all the stress your going thru might actually make u worse off academically.

Finally, listen to your parents, but remember, your doing this primarily for you. Make choices that you know you want to make, I mean, whats the worst that can happen? Your parents will hate you for a few days, a week maybe. You just need to sit down with them, explain your choices and why you made them, and your career ambitions. Trust me, once you take a laid back approach to life its a breeze.

Ty, didn't think of it in that way lol. How it's just a stepping stone to A-levels and further. It does take pressure off a bit thinking of that but still GCSEs are looming and in the here and now I need to get my head down and revise which is sooo difficult for me. Procrastination master, I am.
In terms of the future. I wanna go Uni and as I said, Asian parents and stuff, so they want me to pursue medicine. Which for real, I am totally fine with. It's an ambition I have since a few years ago and I like the sound it. However, that was before I found about Psychology, which I'm insanely good at plus I love the subject. So I could probably combine the 2 somehow we'll see lol. The one thing that annoys me the most is that I absolutely NEED Chemistry A-lvl to even think about a medicine course at Uni (preferably Oxbridge obviously lol, but not fussed) and that's not doable right now cos I hate chemistry. I simply despise it. But it's a necessity for Medicine. ffs. But big up, appreicate the help <3
I find the best way for me get motivated to revise is to plan to meet up with a friend who you know doesn't get distracted while revising and do some homework/revision with them.
also I don't know about your school but I have my A level options meeting in a few days and r parents come to that but the school also gives u an opportunity to talk to the teachers by yourself especially if r being pressured into a certain subject. maybe you could talk yo your form teacher or head of year for advice?
Original post by Alicxcowell
I find the best way for me get motivated to revise is to plan to meet up with a friend who you know doesn't get distracted while revising and do some homework/revision with them.
also I don't know about your school but I have my A level options meeting in a few days and r parents come to that but the school also gives u an opportunity to talk to the teachers by yourself especially if r being pressured into a certain subject. maybe you could talk yo your form teacher or head of year for advice?

That's a plan lol. Ty
That's a big help lol. Appreciate it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest