The Student Room Group

Does hard work really pay off?

Last year I graduated from university and worked really, really hard during my studies.
I always received good grades during my time at uni and always worked - never took a break.
By this I mean, when I wasn't in the library studying I would be either working and getting back to my flat early hours of the morning or in my tutors offices helping them do their work for nothing.
During the holidays, I never got that summer and went abroad like everyone else did, I worked at least 2 jobs so that I could pay my way when university was over.

However, when I graduated I struggled to find employment for a while and ended up having to move in with my Dad as I had no job, car or money despite my hard work at uni. Then a few months later I landed a FTC at a marketing company in our local town. Needless to say I worked hard again, stayed late when needed to and even did more than some people in my department who were on much better money than me.
Next thing I know, they tell me I have not passed my probation period due to 'not being a right fit' and a couple of spelling mistakes in emails.
To me this is a very little error and as for 'not fitting in' I was very sociable with my colleagues and went out with them regularly to lunch/the pub, etc.

Now I'm unemployed again and still can't drive, despite trying for two years now (struggling with the theory test.)
It is such a kick in the teeth to have worked hard at both my university and my post-graduate job, then to get nothing out of it!? All I can say about myself is I'm unemployed, can't drive, live at home and still a virgin.
Yet people I attended higher education with (who worked no harder than me) moved to London after graduating, got great jobs in the industry we studied and are receiving promotions.
Why isn't this happening to me? Obviously I'm trying to persevere by searching for jobs so I can save up to move out and continuing with my theory. But why is everyone else's hard work paid off except for mine? Is anyone else going through a similar situation? Thanks.
no hard work doesnt always pay off, in most cases it doesnt.
mainly because what people are working hard on is the issue, a bit like revising from sats papers for a gcse exam.

Quick Reply

Latest