Biology Watch

Momo04
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi I have a few question regarding biology
(By the way it’s higher human)

1) why is fresh liver better than frozen for an enzyme inhibition experiment ?
And what other improvement suggestions can I do regarding enzyme inhibition ?
Ambitious1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Probably because the effect of freezing damages cells by causing ice crystals and it affects the tissue structure.
The enzymes however will still be there whether frozen or fresh.

I can’t really answer the rest of your question as I do not know what the variables are regarding inhibition, what enzymes or inhibitors you are using.
Last edited by Ambitious1999; 4 months ago
Momo04
Rep:
?
My inhibitor is copper sulphate
Momo04
Rep:
?
Why (Original post by Momo04)My inhibitor is copper sulphate
potatohouse
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
1) rate of reaction will be lower as a result of lower temperature (less chemical energy so molecules less likely to collid and a collision is less likely to result in a reaction) and ice crystals will form piercing the cell membrane causing damage to tissue which could affect the amount of enzyme present.
2) temperature, pH, enzyme concentration and substrate concentration affect the rate of reaction so make sure you control those. E.g water bath for temp, buffer solution for pH. Make sure you have Accurate measurements? And you haven’t said what the experiment is actually testing so hard to say what else.
Momo04
Rep:
?
(Original post by potatohouse)
1) rate of reaction will be lower as a result of lower temperature (less chemical energy so molecules less likely to collid and a collision is less likely to result in a reaction) and ice crystals will form piercing the cell membrane causing damage to tissue which could affect the amount of enzyme present.
2) temperature, pH, enzyme concentration and substrate concentration affect the rate of reaction so make sure you control those. E.g water bath for temp, buffer solution for pH. Make sure you have Accurate measurements? And you haven’t said what the experiment is actually testing so hard to say what else.
The aim of this experiment is to investigate the affect of inhibitor (copper sulphate ) on catalase activity (liver tissue)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (7)
41.18%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (4)
23.53%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (2)
11.76%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (1)
5.88%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (3)
17.65%

Watched Threads

Latest