Qualifications not attracting UCAS points Watch

Claire46
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hi there
Can anyone help? I have applied through the UCAS system and am a mature student. However, despite having an A Level, a BTEC HNC and achieving a pass in 2 x 30 point modules of Open University in Social Sciences, I have been told I have no UCAS points. Does anyone know why or what I should do. Really appreciate your help.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Claire46)
Hi there
Can anyone help? I have applied through the UCAS system and am a mature student. However, despite having an A Level, a BTEC HNC and achieving a pass in 2 x 30 point modules of Open University in Social Sciences, I have been told I have no UCAS points. Does anyone know why or what I should do. Really appreciate your help.
Clearly this would be incorrect by whoever is telling you.
UCAS points are based on level 3 qualifications.
A level, BTEC, IB, Access etc.

You have an A level (assuming its not general studies) and you have some sort of BTEC which is worth points as long as its level 3.

The HNC is level 4 and equiavlent to year 1 of uni.
The OU modules may be tic but not **** towards your entrance criteria.

You can look at what points qualifications are worth here:
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator
You arent really telling us what you have and what it is you aspire to do?

If you dont have enough UCAS points, then you will need to get more to meet the entrance requirements of whatever subject you have decided on. Each subject at each uni will state entrance requirements.

If its sometime since you studied, then you may want ro reacquire your study skills and an access to he course is 1 year. Depending on grades then it would get you onto a high number of courses. A levels are 2 years. Alternatively you could do a foundation year at uni before the main course.
Claire46
Rep:
?
Thank you very much for your reply.I have an 'A' Level in Sociology and a BTEC HNC in Business and Finance. They are a bit dated - like me, but I am sure they should have given me some points. The Open Uni modules I passed are from 2012 and 2015 and are both in Social Science, which is the course I hope to get on. I have applied for the Social Science with Integrated Foundation year, believing I should have enough points to get onto this course. It was really helpful of you to reply and give me this information :-)
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Thank you very much for your reply.I have an 'A' Level in Sociology and a BTEC HNC in Business and Finance. They are a bit dated - like me, but I am sure they should have given me some points. The Open Uni modules I passed are from 2012 and 2015 and are both in Social Science, which is the course I hope to get on. I have applied for the Social Science with Integrated Foundation year, believing I should have enough points to get onto this course. It was really helpful of you to reply and give me this information :-)
Which university is this course at? What are their entry criteria?

Not all universities use UCAS points at all anyway, and many (most, probably) assess mature students more holistically in any case due to the often quite unique backgrounds and mixes of qualifications and experience they have. Thus, not having UCAS points (although as above, you will have some) isn't necessarily an issue.

Has the university you applied to stated that you don't meet their entry requirements and/or rejected you with the reason that you have no UCAS points?
Claire46
Rep:
?
Thank you for your kind reply.I have the qualifications to meet the entry criteria, but as my qualifications have not given me any recognised UCAS points I have been asked to send a detailed CV in to the University, so it is still hopeful. However, my issue is that I have gone through the UCAS process and paid the fee, but am now having to start all over again. I am not sure what kind of CV to send in and I am just frustrated due to having worked so hard to achieve those qualifications.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Thank you for your kind reply.I have the qualifications to meet the entry criteria, but as my qualifications have not given me any recognised UCAS points I have been asked to send a detailed CV in to the University, so it is still hopeful. However, my issue is that I have gone through the UCAS process and paid the fee, but am now having to start all over again. I am not sure what kind of CV to send in and I am just frustrated due to having worked so hard to achieve those qualifications.
If your academic qualifications are more than 3* years old (*the cutoff can vary by university) they may not be fully considered - hence why the university is asking for most recent work experience.

Have you actually spoken to the university? Which one is it, and which course are you applying for?
Claire46
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
If your academic qualifications are more than 3* years old (*the cutoff can vary by university) they may not be fully considered - hence why the university is asking for most recent work experience.

Have you actually spoken to the university? Which one is it, and which course are you applying for?
I really appreciate all the support and advice everyone has given me on this thread. My highest qualifications are over 7 years old, so what you are saying, Doonesbury, now makes sense to me, as I did not understand the system.
I have just spoken to someone at the University and they are going to send the qualification evidence and UCAS application on to the tutor for a decision, without me having to complete a further CV. I only have to wait now for the decision and am feeling a lot more hopeful. Thank you :-)
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I really appreciate all the support and advice everyone has given me on this thread. My highest qualifications are over 7 years old, so what you are saying, Doonesbury, now makes sense to me, as I did not understand the system.
I have just spoken to someone at the University and they are going to send the qualification evidence and UCAS application on to the tutor for a decision, without me having to complete a further CV. I only have to wait now for the decision and am feeling a lot more hopeful. Thank you :-)
I'm very glad we could help

That all sounds promising... so good luck and :crossedf: you get a positive decision!
Claire46
Rep:
?
I really appreciate all the advice and help everyone has given me on this thread.

What you are saying to me, Doonesbury, now makes sense, as my highest qualifications are 7 years old. I have just spoken to the University staff and they are now forwarding the qualification evidence I sent, along with the UCAS application to the tutor for a decision, without me having to complete a further CV. I am feeling so much more hopeful now. Thank you.
Catherine1973
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I don't qualify for lots of the courses I have applied for (law) as my A levels (AAB) were from 1990s. There was no A* then. so they must take into account that older A levels are worth a different value to newer ones. (i can get in based on having also done a degree)
azmat17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
contact directly the universities you want. No reason to rely only the UCAS. my friends had different circumstances and they got accepted, without using UCAS.
Claire46
Rep:
?
I hope I can be as supportive to others as everyone has been to me. I just found out I have been given an unconditional offer for the Uni course I wanted. Yippee :-)
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I hope I can be as supportive to others as everyone has been to me. I just found out I have been given an unconditional offer for the Uni course I wanted. Yippee :-)
Back of the net!!!!
:woo: :yay:
:party:
Claire46
Rep:
?
:lol:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (213)
53.12%
No (188)
46.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed