The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Can't live in a private property at 17

Hello everyone,I'm a prospective French student for King's. However, being born in November, I will be underaged for my first 2 months in the UK. On a letter King's sent me, they said I could not live in private property for the time still being 17 years old... But I am planning to live in a flat-share with a friend of mine (that will be 18 and also coming to study in the UK), everything supervised, and financially guaranteed by our parents of course. I have an appointed family UK Guardian for the 2 months, but I won't live with himDo I get an opportunity to explain that and move in my own flat?Can my guardian be appointed but not obliged to live with me (just as for the UCL application for example)? Thank you for your help!
Reply 1
Original post by jutombori
Hello everyone,I'm a prospective French student for King's. However, being born in November, I will be underaged for my first 2 months in the UK. On a letter King's sent me, they said I could not live in private property for the time still being 17 years old... But I am planning to live in a flat-share with a friend of mine (that will be 18 and also coming to study in the UK), everything supervised, and financially guaranteed by our parents of course. I have an appointed family UK Guardian for the 2 months, but I won't live with himDo I get an opportunity to explain that and move in my own flat?Can my guardian be appointed but not obliged to live with me (just as for the UCL application for example)? Thank you for your help!

Did they say "private property" includes KCL's own halls of residence?

But yes if your guardian confirms in writing that they are happy for you to stay with a friend then that should satisfy KCL.

Edit: see their guidance here... you can stay in halls if your parent/guardian signs it off.
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/assets/pdf/accommodation/accommodation-policy-for-under-18s.pdf
(edited 5 years ago)
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
Did they say "private property" includes KCL's own halls of residence?

But yes if your guardian confirms in writing that they are happy for you to stay with a friend then that should satisfy KCL.

Edit: see their guidance here... you can stay in halls if your parent/guardian signs it off.
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/assets/pdf/accommodation/accommodation-policy-for-under-18s.pdf

By "pirvate property" they mean anything that is not a King's University Residence.
If both UK guardian and parents sign off paper papers they guarantee payment and are aware and okay for me to stay in my own flat with a friend that will be over 18, I hope I'll be able to rent.
Thank you very muc
Reply 3
Original post by jutombori
By "pirvate property" they mean anything that is not a King's University Residence.
If both UK guardian and parents sign off paper papers they guarantee payment and are aware and okay for me to stay in my own flat with a friend that will be over 18, I hope I'll be able to rent.
Thank you very muc

Yes that's what I thought. In which case why don't you simply stay in one of KCL's residences, which is where most freshers stay.

Renting privately in London can be expensive and, more importantly, you may miss out on the university experience.

Quick Reply

Latest