The Student Room Group

Is Nottingham still in the top tier category for law?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Notoriety
Hence, the method I suggested: use tables to find data you find relevant, then extract that data to construct your own "master" table. Really, the decision should be predicated upon how you feel about the city and the campus/uni itself, much more than contradictory subject-specific league tables.

Regarding Chambers in a subsequent post, it has been debunked on several occasions.

Indeed, which is how I found this thread in the first place!
Hence, the method I suggested: use tables to find data you find relevant, then extract that data to construct your own "master" table. Really, the decision should be predicated upon how you feel about the city and the campus/uni itself, much more than contradictory subject-specific league tables.

Regarding Chambers in a subsequent post, it has been debunked on several occasions.

Please do explain how it has been debunked.
Who has debunked it? Would trust an authoritative website over unqualified users on a public forum.
Original post by Nosy Mum 1
Of course you are entitled to your opinion but I have always used all of the rankings available for all of my children. I agree that the Guardian rankings sometimes throw up some interesting listings, Abertay Dundee at number 7 for Law seems rather odd to me. However UK uni is published by The Times, UK University Research Excellence Framework and Complete University Guide and the Times Higher Education supplement is used by all teachers that I know to look for new jobs so I hardly think that it can be regarded as disreputable.

Why is it rather odd that Abertay is number 7 for law?
On par with Durham and KCL for law imo
Original post by Weelouise
Why is it rather odd that Abertay is number 7 for law?

Probably because few people outside of Scotland have even heard of Abertay
Original post by harrysbar
Probably because few people outside of Scotland have even heard of Abertay

Course requires BCC, has a 20% drop out rate and only 40% getting 2:1 or above. I am not sure it's simply Anglo-chauvinism.
Course requires BCC, has a 20% drop out rate and only 40% getting 2:1 or above. I am not sure it's simply Anglo-chauvinism.

I don't know anything about Abertay apart from vaguely...isn't it somewhere in Scotland? (that no one English ever chooses)
Can i ask what your stats were (gcses, predicted grades) that enabled you to get an offer for law at durham? xx
Original post by phoebexoxo
Thank you that’s really helpful ☺️ I think I want to go to Durham’s offer holders day and have a proper look around before doing that but will good accommodation still remain say if I pick it in April?

And that sounds logical regarding the first situation but Durham appeals as well. I may put it as my firm and Notts as my insurance but if things go wrong perhaps that’s overly risky :/
Original post by Nosy Mum 1
Nottingham is just ahead of Durham in 2 of the 5 recent league tables that I have looked at. I contacted the Magic Circle firms to ask if they have a preference for universities. 2 have replied so far and they do not have any preference. Their main concern is the classification of your degree. I have been told of another quality London law firm who only recruit from certain universities and Nottingham is one of them.

I know that this thread is two years old but could you possibly share which other universities did that london law firm mention?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending