Norway tells students to avoid UK universities Watch

999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
This may be a bigger problem than just Norway, a no deal Brexit may affect UK Erasmus students too:

Student exchanges in no-deal Brexit threat
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-47131426

Posted from TSR Mobile
I believe this is stating the obvious and also the story is a non story.
A no deal brexit will mean no deal has been agreed in almost all things and that included education. It is ok for 2019, but obviously thereafter that is the point of no deal. I think its very low down the food chain. Havent looked it up in the document.

Why do I think its a non story?

Because the government has just said it will fund and it will continue to negotiate about staying in erasmus, but I cnat see how they can say anything else because it depends on the EU to agree future participation. We cant pay if they kick us out. We cnat have UK students going on Erasmus if they wont let us stay a part of it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...no-brexit-deal

Even in no deal i think we will live plus its up to the HE sector to become leaner and more competitive. I think its saturated with lower level unis, so the fact soem of these colleges/ unis fall by the way side may be overdue.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
I believe this is stating the obvious and also the story is a non story.
A no deal brexit will mean no deal has been agreed in almost all things and that included education. It is ok for 2019, but obviously thereafter that is the point of no deal. I think its very low down the food chain. Havent looked it up in the document.

Why do I think its a non story?

Because the government has just said it will fund and it will continue to negotiate about staying in erasmus, but I cnat see how they can say anything else because it depends on the EU to agree future participation. We cant pay if they kick us out. We cnat have UK students going on Erasmus if they wont let us stay a part of it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...no-brexit-deal

Even in no deal i think we will live plus its up to the HE sector to become leaner and more competitive. I think its saturated with lower level unis, so the fact soem of these colleges/ unis fall by the way side may be overdue.
But this is why a no deal Brexit would be seriously bad news. If we have an agreed Brexit then the 2 year interim comes into play and Erasmus would be secured until 2020 at least. No deal puts even 2020 in doubt.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 2 weeks ago
But this is why a no deal Brexit would be seriously bad news. If we have an agreed Brexit then the 2 year interim comes into play and Erasmus would be secured until 2020 at least. No deal puts even 2020 in doubt.
Erasmus is small potatoes compared to the rest of brexit. I think its stupid to have no deal, but I find the arrogance of the EU and Irish galling. Both sides should just sort out a compromise. I think they may elect to extend the deadline for another six months to ive them time to sort soemthing as March 29 isnt enough time and self imposed.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Erasmus is small potatoes compared to the rest of brexit. I think its stupid to have no deal, but I find the arrogance of the EU and Irish galling. Both sides should just sort out a compromise. I think they may elect to extend the deadline for another six months to ive them time to sort soemthing as March 29 isnt enough time and self imposed.
I presume you mean self-imposed by Teresa May (which it was)...?

Edit: the whole thing is "small potatoes". £145 per British person per year to be a member of the EU. Seems small beer to avoid all this.
Last edited by Doonesbury; 2 weeks ago
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 2 weeks ago
I presume you mean self-imposed by Teresa May (which it was)...?

Edit: the whole thing is "small potatoes". £145 per British person per year to be a member of the EU. Seems small beer to avoid all this.
Yes and its about more than just the money. I would think the majority just hate it and wnat it to be over one way or another. Its completely crowded out domestic politics.
ladyread
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Ireland trying to avoid another war / Troubles 2.0 is galling? The EU protecting the interests of several countries is galling? Where do you get off
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ladyread)
Ireland trying to avoid another war / Troubles 2.0 is galling? The EU protecting the interests of several countries is galling? Where do you get off
Thank goodness not at your stop. Move along now.
Yes I have found them and their comments to be particularly obstructive, they havent been negotiations at all.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank goodness not at your stop. Move along now.
Yes I have found them and their comments to be particularly obstructive, they havent been negotiations at all.
But seriously what do you expect. The UK had a marginal leave vote. The UK cabinet, government, governing party, and parliament are completely split on how to effect that vote.

Teresa May can't even get her plan(s) past parliament nevermind the EU.

Meanwhile the EU wants to make it unattractive to leave to prevent others from doing the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 2 weeks ago
But seriously what do you expect. The UK had a marginal leave vote. The UK cabinet, government, governing party, and parliament are completely split on how to effect that vote.

Teresa May can't even get her plan(s) past parliament nevermind the EU.

Meanwhile the EU wants to make it unattractive to leave to prevent others from doing the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That they behave like grown ups and both sideds could have gotten together and sorted something out sooner.
That they doing use inflammatory language.
I can see why people grew to dislike the EU. Not what they signed up for.
I get the impression they treat the UK more like an enemy than a current and future business partner.
I will be glad when its over and as we are leaving, then when we are out.
Dromedary
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Dandaman1)
Project fear probably does more to drive away foreign students and investors than Brexit itself does. The constant pessimism and fixation on worst case scenarios doesn't inspire confidence. Imagine if the remainers had just gotten on board after the referendum? Instead they cut off their noses to spite their faces and divide the house against itself.
What does "getting on board" mean then? Let's blame the right people- the politicians and Leave voters.
Dandaman1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Dromedary)
What does "getting on board" mean then? Let's blame the right people- the politicians and Leave voters.
Remainers should have simply accepted that they lost the vote and taken a more positive, Leave-oriented stance. Instead Remainers in government and in the press are constantly trying to commit sabotage. Brexit has become a complete mess as a result, which hurts the nation more in the aftermath. Britain is in a weaker negotiating position due to its divided politicians squabbling and stalling the process, and the media is doing its utmost to hype up a catastrophy and scare away business by deliberately forecasting (and exaggerating) worst case scenarios.
Dromedary
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Rubbish. Leavers have been in control of the negotiations from the start. They have NEVER had a plan, other than to loot our economy for personal profit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (42)
11.97%
Yes - a food allergy (39)
11.11%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
3.13%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.56%
No (250)
71.23%

Watched Threads