Official Cambridge 2020 HSPS Entry Applicants Thread Watch

ACherry
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi everyone!

I saw there was a 2019 HSPS Applicants thread that was full of good discussion, and wanted to make one of this year's applicants! The majority of us will be in Year 12/Lower Sixth, and it's great to have a place to ask questions, give tips, and even just vent about any stresses or worries we have.

I'm adapting the info questions from New Wonder, who started the Official Cambridge 2020 Applicants thread (for all courses), which I'm sure is also full of good knowledge: (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5617904)

1)What A-levels are you taking and what grades are you hoping for?
2)What are your GCSE Grades?
3)Why HSPS?
4)Why Cambridge?
5)Which college(s) are you looking at?
6)Besides Cambridge, what other universities are you thinking of applying?
7)Have you gone to any of the open days or masterclasses for Cambridge?
8)What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger?
ACherry
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
1) What A-levels are you taking and what grades are you hoping for?
Politics -- A*
History -- A*
Philosophy -- A

2) What are your GCSE Grades?
9, A*, A*, A*, 7, A, A, B, B, B (not great, especially not compared to the rest of my year, but shouldn't be too much of a hinderance)

3) Why HSPS?
Interested in all three principle subjects, and the interplay between them. I think they're fundamental for any successful societal analyses and long-term policy-making.

4) Why Cambridge?
Only university that offers all three (maybe Durham and St Andrews technically do due to modular courses?), and the collegiate system looks incredible. The teaching quality is world-class too.

5) Which college(s) are you looking at?
Primarily St John's, but also maybe St Catherine's.

6) Besides Cambridge, what other universities are you thinking of applying?
UCL, KCL, LSE (two courses)

7) Have you gone to any of the open days or masterclasses for Cambridge?
Yep, went to a Politics & International Relations Masterclass, which was pretty great!

8) What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger?
Reading seven books, going to talks in London at universities, engaging in societies at school, and entering essay competitions.
Last edited by ACherry; 9 months ago
ACherry
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Anyone else looking at HSPS?
Benvoliho
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
)What A-levels are you taking and what grades are you hoping for?
Politics- A*
Geography-A*
English literature- A
Classics (as)- A/b
3)Why HSPS?
The course offers a range of subjects that completely appeals to me, and all help further my knowledge of not only the political world but politics of everyday lives of people globally.
4)Why Cambridge?
The resources it can offer are simply unparalleled and I think I'd benefit from them. Also Cambridge offers the course, which many other unis don't.
Haven't visited yet/ not informed enough
Manchester, Warwick, Durham and Bristol
Been apart of the he+ scheme with Cambridge and I'm attending an open day soon
8)What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger?
The Pembroke north programe with oxford, he+, debate society , essay writing competition, write for politics blog, involved with local party and college council. Also wider reading and listening around my subjects.

Been in failing comprehensive schools my entire life so Cambridge would be a dream. Maybe a little unrealistic but I'm still giving it a go
nataliesodzi
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hey I'm Nat!1)What A-levels are you taking and what grades are you hoping for?Politics (A*)History (A*)English (A)2)What are your GCSE Grades?9,8,8,A*,7,7,7,7,7,6,63)W hy HSPS?The content of each part of the Tripos looks sooo interesting and helpful for my future aspirations. I'm also not entirely sure which specific field I want to go in depth in so having the opportunity to do different papers would really help me to narrow down what I'd like to do. I'm hoping to go into humanitarian work, perhaps working for an organisation within the UN.4)Why Cambridge? HSPS looks like an amazing course and it's only offered at Cambridge. To have the opportunity to talk to the people who WROTE the books I'm studying and challenging myself to the core it's totally exciting to me. Also, the way the teaching is done - supervisions look like such an effective way to learn and develop my way of thinking.5)Which college(s) are you looking at?Robinson College and I think Emmanuel. Still looking; I've only visited Robinson College but it looks amazing.6)Besides Cambridge, what other universities are you thinking of applying?Bristol, LSE, Cardiff, KCL, Leicester, still looking into unis tho.7)Have you gone to any of the open days or masterclasses for Cambridge?I went to a Law masterclass at Robinson College in Feb. However that's when I wanted to do law and I'm glad I went because it helped me decide that HSPS suits me much better atm.8)What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger?I've entered two essay comps and plan on doing one more, taking part in European Youth Parliament, I've got work experience at the UN in the summer, did an online course in IR, reading books, watching ted talks, listening to podcasts, starting an environmental/political awareness group, attended a conference with a justice from the supreme courtGood luck to everyone applying! Hope this thread gets juicy haha
McKinneyPerry
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi there! My name's Martha, and I'm really excited to be applying for HSPS at Cambridge. I'm Irish so I'm currently in 5th Year, which is the equivalent of Lower Sixth here. Anyway, onto the questions!

1) What A-levels are you taking and what grades are you hoping for?
For my Leaving Cert I have to take at least six subjects - I'm taking seven, which is the usual amount. But only six of them have to count! I'm planning not to count Irish because the subject is really hard. The highest grade you can get is a H1, which is between 90% and 100% and the next highest is a H2 which is from 80% to 90%. Here's what I'm studying:
- Accounting = H2/H1 (hoping for H1)
- Biology = H1
- Classical Studies = H2/H1 (hoping for H1)
- English = H1
- French = H2
- Irish = H2/H3
- Maths = H1

In my Junior Cert (GCSE equivalent) I got 10 As and a B. (A is the highest, B is second highest)

3) Why HSPS?
I've known for a while now that I wanted to pursue politics in university, but I wasn't sure what course. I love learning new things and I wanted to do a diverse course if possible - HSPS just seems perfect for me! I think all of the disciplines look really interesting and I know that I would adore learning about those areas.

4) Why Cambridge?
Apart from the prestige of such a high-ranking university, I wanted to apply for one of the best universities in the world for politics and Cambridge is top 5. I don't like economics, so PPE at Oxford already looked inferior to Cambridge. Plus I love what I've heard so far about the traditions at Cambridge - and the resources are incredible! I think the student life there sounds like a good fit for me too.

5) Which college(s) are you looking at?
Currently I have my heart set on King's College, as it is one of the most left-wing colleges at Cambridge. The facilities are incredible (I did the virtual tours of the library and the church and they both look AMAZING - and the dining hall looks like it was taken straight from Harry Potter). Plus, it was the first college at Cambridge to allow women in. However, I would be totally happy if I got pooled to another college!

6) Besides Cambridge, what other universities are you thinking of applying?
I'm planning to apply to University of St Andrew's for International Relations and Philosophy, as well as University of Amsterdam for PPLE or possibly something else. Then I'll be applying to Trinity College Dublin (my hometown!) for Law and Politics as well as PPES. My Plan A is Cambridge, but otherwise I'm applying to a lot of places and then I'll see what looks good!

7) Have you gone to any of the open days or masterclasses for Cambridge?
Not yet - I'm hoping to attend the open days in July. As for masterclasses, I don't know much about them or where I would go to take them. I'd really appreciate if someone could enlighten me!

8) What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger?
In September I started in a new secondary school, since I honestly wasn't happy in my last school. My new school is very involved in Model United Nations, and as such I've found a passion there. I attend every possible conference (including one next weekend!) and I've won an award at every conference I have attended which offered awards. Other than that, I'm on track to become a Prefect and I volunteer within my school a lot. I've also spoken to my guidance counselor about my Cambridge application, and I'll be attending lunchtime workshops to help with crafting personal statements for UCAS applications. Then in the summer, I intend to shadow a TD (Teachta Dála - basically an MP) for a week and I hope to then shadow an Irish representative on the European Parliament for another week. (Different political parties - I don't have any obligation to any particular Irish parties!) I'm also looking into travelling to Chicago to shadow some of the Democrats for a few days because I have an American contact with familial ties to some politicians. I'm constantly looking for new ideas though, so if the opportunity comes up for me to do anything else that would further my application then you can be sure that I'll take it!
Last edited by McKinneyPerry; 7 months ago
koalakefeshe
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hey! I'm Kefeshe! Taking Biology (predicted A), History (predicted A/ A*) and Sociology (predicted A*) I got mostly 7's and 8's at GCSE. One 9 and one 6. I'm still not certain HSPS is the one, but I think I can make it to Oxbridge and I wanna study Anthropology and Politics, so it made sense! If I don't end up applying to there it would be Oxford for Anthropology and Archaeology. I like the look of Emmanuel College, haven't really looked into any others yet. Also looking at Durham, Manchester, LSE and maybe Edinburgh. No open days yet, but I have a residential there next week! SO MUCH READING!!!! I'm also kinda addicted to podcasts now!
(Original post by ACherry)
Hi everyone!

I saw there was a 2019 HSPS Applicants thread that was full of good discussion, and wanted to make one of this year's applicants! The majority of us will be in Year 12/Lower Sixth, and it's great to have a place to ask questions, give tips, and even just vent about any stresses or worries we have.

I'm adapting the info questions from New Wonder, who started the Official Cambridge 2020 Applicants thread (for all courses), which I'm sure is also full of good knowledge: (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5617904)

3)Why HSPS?
4)Why Cambridge?
tomfailinghelp
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hey kids, just posting to say I graduated from HSPS i n Cam recently - so if you want to ask anything go ahead!
Jazzybear01
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi everyone!

3)Why HSPS?
4)Why Cambridge?
History: A
Government and Politics: A/A*
Sociology: A*

A*AABBBBBCC (Far from good). Timing was a great factor in limiting my results. Staright after doing my GCSEs, I was diagnosed with learning disabilities so I was entitled to extra time in sixth form and my grades have drastically improved since then. Would this be good reason if I were to send an extenuating circumstances form?

3)Why HSPS?
I'm a keen enthusiast for the social sciences. I like learning about society and how it's structured and how people interact with each other. I think HSPS is great combination of all the subjects that I love studying. It has Politics, IR and Sociology which are my favourite subjects. HSPS is a great alternative to PPE which I personally would not enjoy because of having to learn Philosophy and Economics.

4)Why Cambridge?
The reputation I guess? I care more about the course rather than the university.

Don't really know tbh. I hope you can guide more about the college system.

LSE, UCL, Bristol, Bath, Warwick.

No

I'm thinking of what to focus on for my EPQ proposals (Should be either on the rise of Populism in Europe or the decline of Social Democracy in Europe). Currently, I attend the Model United Nations and Debating socities in my sixth form college. To be honest, I'm not that involved in extra curricular activities as I used to be. I used to compete in public speaking and debating competitions and I won a mock election in my secondary school. I was also heavily engaged in youth politics as I used to be a Member of Youth Parliament and a Youth Councillor.
Last edited by Jazzybear01; 7 months ago
Jazzybear01
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Jazzybear01)
History: A
Government and Politics: A/A*
Sociology: A*

A*AABBBBBCC (Far from good). Timing was a great factor in limiting my results. Staright after doing my GCSEs, I was diagnosed with learning disabilities so I was entitled to extra time in sixth form and my grades have drastically improved since then. Would this be good reason if I were to send an extenuating circumstances form?

3)Why HSPS?
I'm a keen enthusiast for the social sciences. I like learning about society and how it's structured and how people interact with each other. I think HSPS is great combination of all the subjects that I love studying. It has Politics, IR and Sociology which are my favourite subjects. HSPS is a great alternative to PPE which I personally would not enjoy because of having to learn Philosophy and Economics.

4)Why Cambridge?
The reputation I guess? I care more about the course rather than the university.

Don't really know tbh. I hope you can guide more about the college system.

LSE, UCL, Bristol, Bath, Warwick.

No

I'm thinking of what to focus on for my EPQ proposals (Should be either on the rise of Populism in Europe or the decline of Social Democracy in Europe). Currently, I attend the Model United Nations and Debating socities in my sixth form college. To be honest, I'm not that involved in extra curricular activities as I used to be. I used to compete in public speaking and debating competitions and I won a mock election in my secondary school. I was also heavily engaged in youth politics as I used to be a Member of Youth Parliament and a Youth Councillor.
Based on my info, do you think that I have a chnace getting an offer at Cambridge with these low GCSE grades? And the fact that I was given extra time concessions straight after seconday school, does that make a good reason for an extenuating circumstances form?
thirtycmruler
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
History (A*), Politics (A*), Philosophy (A*), Sociology (A*)
A*97777BBB (indeed not very good GCSEs, but hoping won't be too big of an obstacle)
3)Why HSPS?
Really like the mixture of the subjects and how they compliment each other. Already do some of the subjects on the course and have a rough idea of how they are - so I think I'll enjoy them
4)Why Cambridge?
Of course the name and the quality of education is up there. The supervision system is something I think I'll be able to benefit from greatly. And I guess another thing as to why not Oxford - the only course kind of similar would be PPE: and my economics interest isn't that high and I think I wouldn't enjoy the course more
Looked at Queens', St. John's, King's and Jesus. Most likely going to apply to Queens'
University of Durham (Social Sciences); University College London (POLIS); King's College London (Politics); University of Edinburgh (Politics)
Went to the politics and international relations masterclass, planning on going to open days and going to college open days too

My super-curricular activities would hopefully make up for the sub-par GCSEs. Am reading around a book every week on the four main disciplines in HSPS and taking notes on them; subscribed to Politics Now, Sociology Now etc. Trying to attend lectures at universities across the country. Also have booked work experience relevant to the course.

If anyone's got any more suggestions - please reply so I can give the best application possible
Last edited by thirtycmruler; 4 months ago
Laura.chisholm02
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Eng lit -a* / a
French - a*
Politics - a*
10xGrade 9s & 1xA*
3)Why HSPS?
LOVE politics and international relations, interested in different cultures and human interaction (&psychology-would probs do the module in y1) just generally sounds perfect for me.
4)Why Cambridge?
Do u have to ask?!😀
Catz, clare or emma i think but not 100% sure
Warwick, Bath, Exeter (tho have heard some bad stuff), Bristol
Yes - went to politics & int rel and was really daunting -am 95% sure i won't get in!

I'm really an amateur when it comes to Politics and don't know much. Generally showing an interest in the news and current affairs. Have bought some books on the reading list and am (attempting to) make my way thru them. Listening to Brexitcast &talking politics podcast. Aiming to go to some lectures and do an essay comp later in the year. Doing an EPQ but not sure about my title -it's currently on 'what was the impact of the media in the 1997 GE and 2016 EU ref?' -dk how relevant it is.

How does everyone get time to do everything??! You all sound so amazing!!!
anica.m
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi! My name's Anica

History - A*
English Lit - A
Maths - A

3A*s, 7As and a C (don't ask )

3) Why HSPS?
It's my dream course! I've always been interested in Politics + IR, as well as the study of society as a whole, including different ideologies, theories and key events and figures (such as Karl Marx).

4)Why Cambridge?
I've visited multiple times and love the vibe of the city. My sister is currently studying Law at Cambridge and she loves it so I know i'd love it just as much! I'm mainly applying for the unique course, though.

Possibly Peterhouse as I like how central and close-knit it seems, but i'm considering Gonville+Caius too.

The ones i'm currently deciding over are LSE, Durham, Bristol, Warwick, UCL and King's!

I haven't had the chance to, as I live abroad (Dubai)!

Lots of reading, and listening to podcasts. I watch the news every morning with breakfast and discuss it with my mum haha (i know it sounds silly but it's good interview prep)! My school also runs this amazing programme called TopUP (Top University Preparation), where teachers go through university-level concepts, review articles, recommend books, etc. for specific courses (i go to the Politics one) in order to grasp a better understanding of your course and improve your application! My school also has quite a few teachers who are Oxbridge alumni/experienced with Oxbridge applications, who run fortnightly Oxbridge meetings which focus on applications + interview technique. My school has quite an eminent reputation for Oxbridge acceptances (one year we got 20 offers!) so i'm really glad and grateful that I have the extra help. (And i'd of course be happy to share any helpful tips my school has on here)
ACherry
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Thought it might be a good time to 'bump' this thread, as more people are starting to look at university courses
Beyondoceanssss
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey everyone!! I'm Asha and I study History (predicted A), English Literature and Language (predicted A*) and Sociology (predicted A*). GCSEs were fine - 3 A*, 2 As and 3 Bs, but I go to a pretty underprivileged school and basically spent the entire time I studied my GCSEs with supply teachers :/ so not too fussed about that I really like the variety of HSPS and the option of specialising in a different combination of subjects that I wouldn't get at other universities. The freedom!! As to why Cambridge, I've gone to a couple of Cambridge residential programmes at Trinity College and an unpcoming one in Pembroke and really enjoyed the teaching styles, the passion and the outreach stuff they do. For a while I think I scared myself into thinking I wasn't good enough to get in because of my background, (imposter syndrome is a real ****) but I figure that I'll never actually know if I can get in until I apply right!! Currently looking at Downing, Emmanuel and Pembroke but I'm going to wait until the open day to decide which one I like and want to apply to the most. I'm thinking of applying to Bristol, Sussex, LSE and then maybe Edinburgh, York or Warwick but I haven't decided which ones yet. No open days or masterclasses yet but I've gone to an outreach residential in Trinity College for humanities subjects and I'm going to a similar one in Pembroke College in the beginning of July. For extra curriculars I've got the residentials, as well as a residential in Bristol. I entered a writing competition by Warwick university where I came second place as well as some other creative writing and poetry competitions. I'm currently heading a programme for year 7s and 8s to help breed a love of reading (kind of like a mini book club) and do various other programmes mentoring in school. I also read quite a lot of stuff around my subjects and for fun. Slightly concerned that I haven't really done enough actual things for extra curricular activities but I suppose passion is what's most important and I'm very passionate about certain topics that relate to HSPS. hope everyone's exams went well if they did them, and if they're still to come, good luck!! Xx
Beyondoceanssss
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey everyone!! I'm Asha and I study History (predicted A), English Literature and Language (predicted A*) and Sociology (predicted A*). GCSEs were fine - 3 A*, 2 As and 3 Bs, but I go to a pretty underprivileged school and basically spent the entire time I studied my GCSEs with supply teachers :/ so not too fussed about that I really like the variety of HSPS and the option of specialising in a different combination of subjects that I wouldn't get at other universities. The freedom!! As to why Cambridge, I've gone to a couple of Cambridge residential programmes at Trinity College and an unpcoming one in Pembroke and really enjoyed the teaching styles, the passion and the outreach stuff they do. For a while I think I scared myself into thinking I wasn't good enough to get in because of my background, (imposter syndrome is a real ****) but I figure that I'll never actually know if I can get in until I apply right!! Currently looking at Downing, Emmanuel and Pembroke but I'm going to wait until the open day to decide which one I like and want to apply to the most. I'm thinking of applying to Bristol, Sussex, LSE and then maybe Edinburgh, York or Warwick but I haven't decided which ones yet. No open days or masterclasses yet but I've gone to an outreach residential in Trinity College for humanities subjects and I'm going to a similar one in Pembroke College in the beginning of July. For extra curriculars I've got the residentials, as well as a residential in Bristol. I entered a writing competition by Warwick university where I came second place as well as some other creative writing and poetry competitions. I'm currently heading a programme for year 7s and 8s to help breed a love of reading (kind of like a mini book club) and do various other programmes mentoring in school. I also read quite a lot of stuff around my subjects and for fun. Slightly concerned that I haven't really done enough actual things for extra curricular activities but I suppose passion is what's most important and I'm very passionate about certain topics that relate to HSPS. hope everyone's exams went well if they did them, and if they're still to come, good luck!! Xx
emilybennett27
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey everyone I'm Emily
Maths A*/A
Politics A*
History A
99988877A6B (I also have extenuating circumstances skrr)
3)Why HSPS?
I have always loved lots of different subjects so I'd like to be able to do a multi-disciplinary degree. The combination of subjects suits me bc I've always love politics and I've recently got more into anthropology since reading Sapiens.
4)Why Cambridge?
Ever since I first visited I've loved the city. I also considered Oxford PPE but I didn't like the city as much and it seemed very elitist. Cambridge seems like a much more diverse place which I like.
I have no idea. The only one I've visited is Magdalene which I loved but I have nothing to compare it to really. To be honest I wouldn't mind and might make an open application.
Durham, Warwick, Manchester, York, Lancaster (all PPE)
No open days but went to a physics masterclass thing (lol) and am going on the History and HSPS residential at Selwyn College in July

I was a DMYP in 2018, heavily involved in the UK Student Climate Network doing political outreach, listen to Brexitcast and read the New Statesman, did work experience with Margaret Greenwood MP, read some books and did a MOOC, EPQ 'did women in Britain have a political voice 1832-1918?', going to the nationals of the European Youth Parliament debating competition in September, went to a European Youth Conference in Budapest with lots of other European countries

Also anyone pls feel free to pm me on here or social media (username is the same on everything) bc I want to make some friends lol
Danielle_1302
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
A-Levels: Politics, Biology and English Literature. I’m also doing AQA Mathematical Studies (Level 3), and I will be doing an EPQ next year

GCSEs: 998777AA664 (4 in maths, so i doubt they will pay great emphasis on this due to HSPS being essay based)

HSPS because i really like the variety of the course - since I do biology I’d love to do a psychology paper as one of my modules (something I haven’t yet found for any other course)

Cambridge because I prefer the HSPS course to the PPE course (obviously as we can see, maths is not my strong subject lol, so I don’t think the economics part would be right for me in such a competitive course (not because I’m average at maths and not great)).

Colleges: I’m going to the open day on Friday 5th July (unfortunately I only have a partial ticket as all the full access ones had gone), but I’m going to look at Sidney Sussex (probably my top choice atm, looks very pretty and has ok rankings for HSPS - I’m trying to not base my college choice on admissions rates), Magdelene, Jesus, Selwyn and Girton. However, I do also really like the look of Queen’s. Trinity would be a DREAM, but It’s so competitive there!

Other Unis: Bath, Exeter (I think this would likely be my insurance if I got a place on HSPS), Durham and I’m unsure about my 5th, but maybe KCL, Warwick or UCL, but I need to do more research on them but I got their prospectuses at the UCAS convention thing

I went to one of the Politics masterclasses in March 2019 at Corpus Christi that my teacher nominated me for (It wasn’t one of the ones where you can pay to go / have to sign up yourself for).

Currently, I’m collecting lots of books to read over the summer, such as The Communist Manifesto, as well as some of Mill’s works (On Liberty is on my list). However, I’m going to try and read some books on American Politics too, as that’s 1000000% something I don’t know an awful much about!
Hi everyone!

3)Why HSPS?
4)Why Cambridge?
ACherry
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
What books have everyone read now?

I'm getting much more interested in sociology, and so have read a few postmodernist works in the field.
Danielle_1302
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Just realised I forgot to say what grades I want!Politics - A*English - A* Biology - A
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (200)
19.19%
Labour (443)
42.51%
Liberal Democrats (202)
19.39%
Green Party (54)
5.18%
Brexit Party (28)
2.69%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.38%
SNP (15)
1.44%
Plaid Cymru (10)
0.96%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.1%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.19%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (3)