The Student Room Group

Liam Neeson involved in race row

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vinny C
The Garda no doubt realised he would be wandering around for months trying to find a black guy in Ireland during which time he would have calmed down.

Or died of old age.:biggrin:
Original post by Glorious22
You are worried about this more than me. This is background noise while doing stuff.
I only kneel to God.
No rules, no Admins change that.
You conform. They already broke you

What did you say? It is possible to argue without name calling. There’s no point acting like a victim if you threw insults at someone.
You are worried about this more than me. This is background noise while doing stuff.
I only kneel to God.
No rules, no Admins change that.
You conform. They already broke you

you sound like a teenager who in real life conforms perfectly and quitely, but online wants to prove how much of a rebel they are.

As you get older you will see there is more merrit in being effective then puritanical

A compromise that gets 50% of your message out is a better result then a stubborn protest that gest 0% of your message out.
Original post by fallen_acorns
you sound like a teenager who in real life conforms perfectly and quitely, but online wants to prove how much of a rebel they are.

As you get older you will see there is more merrit in being effective then puritanical

A compromise that gets 50% of your message out is a better result then a stubborn protest that gest 0% of your message out.

Damn online has broken you. Instead of trying to change me. Use your energy to write to these Admins. Before this war gets out of control
Original post by YaliaV
What did you say? It is possible to argue without name calling. There’s no point acting like a victim if you threw insults at someone.

What? I bee behaving, if i was name calling, This situation be allot worse
Damn online has broken you. Instead of trying to change me. Use your energy to write to these Admins. Before this war gets out of control

you have a choice. Adapt your posting style, or post somewhere else. You have to realise, no-one will care if you get banned.
There is a reason why terrorists who plan attacks get locked away even if they haven't carried out said attacks. Clearly the authorities don't view an intention to kill innocent people as "trivial", despite that they hadn't actually harmed anyone. But I guess it's OK if the intended victims are just black men.
Original post by Eunomia
There is a reason why terrorists who plan attacks get locked away even if they haven't carried out said attacks. Clearly the authorities don't view an intention to kill innocent people as "trivial", despite that they hadn't actually harmed anyone. But I guess it's OK if the intended victims are just black men.

Comparing this case to terrorists... Lord give me strength.
Original post by Occitanie
Comparing this case to terrorists... Lord give me strength.

Yes, it is comparable to would-be terrorists who didn't carried out an attack but would have done so if given the chance. In both cases the intention was to murder innocent people. How is it different? Is it due to the identity of their would-be victims?
Original post by DSilva
He wasn't looking for the person who did it. He was looking to attack any random, black person. That is racist. He wanted to attack an innocent black person simply because they were the same race as the perpetrator.

If a black person mugged you and you told the police who decided to just arrest and imprison any black person on the basis that they were black, then of course it would be racist.

He admits he was racist. Listen to what he actually said.

you didn't watch the video that i linked in my previous comment. it was only 45 seconds so it won't take up too much of your time.

he says he asked his friend multiple questions including the height and weight of her attacker. he also says he would have acted the same way if her attacker was Irish or Scottish or British. in other words - his actions were irrespective of race, i.e. not based on race. it was based on wanting what he thought was justice for his friend. that might make him crazy but that doesn't make him a racist.

i'm not talking about cops going out and attacking/arresting random people. i'm saying if you tell a cop you were mugged by a black person, they won't be looking for a white person. apparently Liam wouldn't either.

he admits he'was racist? not in the BBC.
Original post by Joleee
you didn't watch the video that i linked in my previous comment. it was only 45 seconds so it won't take up too much of your time.

he says he asked his friend multiple questions including the height and weight of her attacker. he also says he would have acted the same way if her attacker was Irish or Scottish or British. in other words - his actions were irrespective of race, i.e. not based on race. it was based on wanting what he thought was justice for his friend. that might make him crazy but that doesn't make him a racist.

i'm not talking about cops going out and attacking/arresting random people. i'm saying if you tell a cop you were mugged by a black person, they won't be looking for a white person. apparently Liam wouldn't either.

he admits he'was racist? not in the BBC.

He didn't say that though. He said he wanted to kill any random black person. Note, he was not looking for the perpetrator, but wanting to kill a random person simply for sharing the same race as the perpetrator. However you try and spin that, it's incredibly racist. And he has admitted it, that was the point of his interview.

If a black person was mugged by a white person, and decided as 'revenge' they were going to attack any random white person, of course that would be racist.
tfw you try to give a candid issue about mistakes you made in the past and a breakdown you had over a friend's rape, but all anybody takes out of it is that you were racist one time.

man's publicist must've crapped himself
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by DSilva
He didn't say that though. He said he wanted to kill any random black person. Note, he was not looking for the perpetrator, but wanting to kill a random person simply for sharing the same race as the perpetrator. However you try and spin that, it's incredibly racist. And he has admitted it, that was the point of his interview.

If a black person was mugged by a white person, and decided as 'revenge' they were going to attack any random white person, of course that would be racist.

yes, he said it - i gave you the source where he says he asked for multiple features of her attacker and that he would've done the same thing if the attacker were Irish, Scottish, British or Lithuanian.

he wasn't going to attack a random person - he was hoping a random person would attack him. for all we know he didn't even speak to single person when he as went out for his walks.

btw i don't understand why being racist is necessary and worse than being crazy. surely being crazy and potentially violent is enough to never watch a Liam Neeson film ever again (if you're the type of person to ban someone over their bad reaction to a friend's brutal rape). yet something tells me we wouldn't even be talking about this if he said he was hoping an Irish person would attack him.
Original post by Joleee
yes, he said it - i gave you the source where he says he asked for multiple features of her attacker and that he would've done the same thing if the attacker were Irish, Scottish, British or Lithuanian.

he wasn't going to attack a random person - he was hoping a random person would attack him. for all we know he didn't even speak to single person when he as went out for his walks.

btw i don't understand why being racist is necessary and worse than being crazy. surely being crazy and potentially violent is enough to never watch a Liam Neeson film ever again (if you're the type of person to ban someone over their bad reaction to a friend's brutal rape). yet something tells me we wouldn't even be talking about this if he said he was hoping an Irish person would attack him.

He didn't say Irish though, he said black. And he admitted he held awful views and stereotyped black people.

Of course it was racist.
Original post by generallee
I am not justifying Neeson's actions, I am saying that they were extremely trivial and unimportant. A thought crime which harmed nobody. The reaction has been worldwide, and it isn't good enough to say (to anticipate the response) well he is a globally famous Hollywood star, because the Covington Catholic schoolboy, who garnered equally huge worldwide attention from the SJW mob and had his life ruined, was a nobody.

I am raising other stories of attacks, a real racial attack in the case of Kris Donald's torture and murder and the rape that sparked this story (which may or many not have been racially motivated we don't know) to point out how they are unknown. A pound to a penny you had never heard of Kris Donald.

Why do some stories get global media attention, undeserving ones like the Neeson nothingburger, of the Covington schoolboy, while others, far worse, sink without trace? Everyone has heard of Stephen Lawrence (rightly so). I bet nobody reading this thread has heard of Kris Donald. Why?

I put it to you that it is because of the race of the two victims I evidenced. The colour of their skins.

You're being rather disingenuous, and you know it. It's clearly not a 'thought crime' if you pick up a blunt object and wander the streets looking to kill someone because of the colour of their skin. By his account, the only thing that stopped him was a lack of opportunity. If you want to talk about a separate case, create a thread for it, don't derail another.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be forgiven, or that he should be boycotted or his show cancelled. I'm merely contesting the bizarre arguments on here that apparently what he said and did wasn't racist.... Or that arming yourself with a blunt object and going out with the intention of racially motivated murder is merely a harmless thought crime... Or even that he deserves respect for now saying he knows racially motivated murder is bad.

Do you think what he said was racist? Yes or no?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by DSilva

Do you think what he said was racist? Yes or no?

I don't know for sure, but it is possible.

But then everyone is sub consciously racist.
Original post by DSilva
You're being rather disingenuous, and you know it. It's clearly not a 'thought crime' if you pick up a blunt object and wander the streets looking to kill someone because of the colour of their skin. By his account, the only thing that stopped him was a lack of opportunity. If you want to talk about a separate case, create a thread for it, don't derail another.

A thought crime is exactly what this is. Re read 1984. If Winston had picked up a cosh with the wild thought of attacking an Inner Party member to strike a blow against Big Brother, the thought police would have arrested him and sent him to Room 101 for exactly that crime.

And I have not been derailing the thread but providing context for Leeson's alleged offence, to support my contention that it was uterly trivial and of no consequence. And certainly not deserving of the worldwide opprobrium which you claim not to support but are participating in, as part of the SJW mob.

We judge things in comparative terms. If I claim to be a fast runner you will legitimately ask, compared to what, to whom? An old man? A school champion? Usain Bolt? A cheetah? Actions are defined by context.

So I provided examles of real racist crimes to demonstrate the insignifance of Neeson's. And you have yet to even address them, let alone refute the contention. Why is that? Is it because the skin colour of the victims in those cases doesn't fit your political agenda?
A thought crime is exactly what this is. Re read 1984. If Winston had picked up a cosh with the wild thought of attacking an Inner Party member to strike a blow against Big Brother, the thought police would have arrested him and sent him to Room 101 for exactly that crime.

And I have not been derailing the thread but providing context for Leeson's alleged offence, to support my contention that it was uterly trivial and of no consequence. And certainly not deserving of the worldwide opprobrium which you claim not to support but are participating in, as part of the SJW mob.

We judge things in comparative terms. If I claim to be a fast runner you will legitimately ask, compared to what, to whom? An old man? A school champion? Usain Bolt? A cheetah? Actions are defined by context.

So I provided examles of real racist crimes to demonstrate the insignifance of Neeson's. And you have yet to even address them, let alone refute the contention. Why is that? Is it because the skin colour of the victims in those cases doesn't fit your political agenda?

If you plan on doing something and take actions to do it, but are only prevented by a lack of opportunity. That's not a thought.

Just as it wouldn't be merely a 'thought' if someone wanted to kidnap a kid, equipped themselves and went out looking for one, only to be denied by not finding one.

Again, if you want to talk about other cases, create your own thread. You are simply trying to divert away from the issue being discussed.
(edited 5 years ago)
I don't know for sure, but it is possible.

But then everyone is sub consciously racist, including you.

I can assure you I've never picked up a blunt object and walked out onto the streets, looking to attack and kill a random person simply because of their skin colour.

Quite how you think it is only 'possibly' racist is a low, even for you. If wanting to commit racially motivated murder and going out with the intention of killing a random person because they are black, is only 'possibly' racist, then one can only assume you are trolling.

Pointing out that worse crimes have been committed does not negate the fact he was racist. If someone said they think slavery was great and we should return to it, that would obviously be racist. It wouldn't be not racist merely by pointing out other racist attacks happened.

Perhaps you should listen to him, he admits he was racist. If Rodney King's family said that as 'revenge' they wanted to kill any random white person, would that not be racist?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by DSilva
If you plan on doing something and take actions to do it, but are only prevented by a lack of opportunity. That's not a thought.

Just as it wouldn't be merely a 'thought' if someone wanted to kidnap a kid, equipped themselves and went out looking for one, only to be denied by not finding one.

Again, if you want to talk about other cases, create your own thread. You are simply trying to divert away from the issue being discussed.

I think you need to share your definition of the word "thought" with the thread. This seems to me to be at the root of your difficulties here. Come back with a definition that encompasses what you are trying to express above, and we can discuss further.

He didn't harm anybody, and if he had really wanted to he could have and would have. What he is guilty of is of having a racist thought. (If it actually was racist, and that is of course debateable. He says he would have felt the same anger towards a Scot or a Briton who had committed the rape, and who are we to know better? That would have made him a xenophobe, or an anglophobe, I guess. But SJW's don't care about people who hate people who are English on the grounds of being English. Only black lives seem to matter to you guys, isn't that right?)

He was guilty of a thought crime, he realises that and is sincerely sorry enough to publicly repent, and there's an end on it. We are all of us guilty of thought crimes (not necessarily as unleasant as this was, admittedly) every day of the week, but we don't share them on American television. That was his mistake. An incredibly stupid one, I might add.

I note that you have refused to address, once again, the point I was making that this is an utterly trivial episode by comparison with real race hate crimes in which random innocent and unconnected people have been raped or murdered, in revenge for crimes done to their friends by the same racial grou as the victim.

That is very telling. You don't need to address the stories in detail, of course, that would be matter for another thread, but it would be intellectually honest of you to acknowledge that yes this is utterly trivial in comparison to them, and it is repugnant that they receive no media attention compared to this non story which obsesses you and your like. Assuming you even think that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending