Cambridge or Oxford?! Watch

username4318904
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I need to apply to 5 universities - hoping to study English literature - and I need to choose between Oxford or Cambridge. Acceptance rate-wise, which is "easier" to get into. obviously they are both notoriously competitive, but if I had to choose...
Also, yes I know I should be looking at courses and the area etc etc but i am interested in which would be more likely to get into...

all info welcome
hollymarie17
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hey! (I have an offer for Cambridge)
This is ALL on you! It IS NOT about acceptance rate and you should not base your decision on that. It is ALL about course content, environment and teaching style. All this information is on the websites
NATHan w
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by aliceaquaspirit)
I need to apply to 5 universities - hoping to study English literature - and I need to choose between Oxford or Cambridge. Acceptance rate-wise, which is "easier" to get into. obviously they are both notoriously competitive, but if I had to choose...
Also, yes I know I should be looking at courses and the area etc etc but i am interested in which would be more likely to get into...

all info welcome
Hi there, I have an offer from ox. I would say oxford has a reputation for strong arts and humanities so they might be slightly more competitive. Oxford overall as a uni is more competitive however has lower entry requirements ( I believe English lit is AAA at ox but at cam it’s A*AA). However one big piece of advice id say is that a despite the statistics, if an excellent applicant were to apply to oxford and cambridge (even though this is not possible) they’d get into both. Remember they are just looking for the best students. I’ll give you a scenario, there could be loads of applicants applying at oxford and fewer at Cambridge but the average Cambridge applicant could be much better than the average oxford applicant but the admissions rate won’t reflect this, it will just say oxford is harder to get into... ( obvs it’s could happen the other way around). If i were you I would work on standing out from the crowd of other applicants and showing them why you are the most passionate person for English lit. Hope this helps
username4318904
Rep:
?
(Original post by NATHan w)
Hi there, I have an offer from ox. I would say oxford has a reputation for strong arts and humanities so they might be slightly more competitive. Oxford overall as a uni is more competitive however has lower entry requirements ( I believe English lit is AAA at ox but at cam it’s A*AA). However one big piece of advice id say is that a despite the statistics, if an excellent applicant were to apply to oxford and cambridge (even though this is not possible) they’d get into both. Remember they are just looking for the best students. I’ll give you a scenario, there could be loads of applicants applying at oxford and fewer at Cambridge but the average Cambridge applicant could be much better than the average oxford applicant but the admissions rate won’t reflect this, it will just say oxford is harder to get into... ( obvs it’s could happen the other way around). If i were you I would work on standing out from the crowd of other applicants and showing them why you are the most passionate person for English lit. Hope this helps

thank you!! what did you put in your personal statement//how was your interview?
Rohan77642
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hmmm. What do you think?
NATHan w
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
thank you!! what did you put in your personal statement//how was your interview?
I applied for materials science( a type of engineering degree) so my ps talked about a engineering project I did with BP. I then talked about a specific area of my subject that really intrigued me and discussed it at quite a large depth and why I want to purse my understanding in this area. Coincidentally the tutor at the college I applied to is a world expert at that same exact field! I would say for English lit, obvs be very analytical of some books/poems/plays you’ve read and why you found them fascinating.Try to make unique and personal so maybe literature that you have a strong interest in. The interview was hard. If you get one my advice is to really try and engage with the tutors and don’t be standoffish. They want to see if you would be a good student for them to teach and not someone who doesn’t fully engage with their subject. I was confident I had failed my interviews so I you get one and you feel the same way, you may have done far better than you originally thought!
username4318904
Rep:
?
(Original post by NATHan w)
I applied for materials science( a type of engineering degree) so my ps talked about a engineering project I did with BP. I then talked about a specific area of my subject that really intrigued me and discussed it at quite a large depth and why I want to purse my understanding in this area. Coincidentally the tutor at the college I applied to is a world expert at that same exact field! I would say for English lit, obvs be very analytical of some books/poems/plays you’ve read and why you found them fascinating.Try to make unique and personal so maybe literature that you have a strong interest in. The interview was hard. If you get one my advice is to really try and engage with the tutors and don’t be standoffish. They want to see if you would be a good student for them to teach and not someone who doesn’t fully engage with their subject. I was confident I had failed my interviews so I you get one and you feel the same way, you may have done far better than you originally thought!
thank you !! congrats on getting a place !
VegetableMarvell
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I've just been offered a place for English at Oxford. Honestly, just go round and see which one you like best. To choose where you apply simply on the likelihood of getting in probably isn't the best way to do it. You're talking about a minute difference anyway.
Last edited by VegetableMarvell; 8 months ago
username4318904
Rep:
?
(Original post by VegetableMarvell)
I've just been offered a place for English at Oxford. Honestly, just go round and see which one you like best.
how was your interview?
VegetableMarvell
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
how was your interview?
So, the way the interviews go is that you have two; one is an unseen poetry and one is an unseen prose. You get these unseen pieces in an envelope before the specific interview and have half an hour to analyse them, and then you go to interview. I think it is a real misconception that it's all about your personal statement: obviously youhave to really know you PS, but most of my interview time was taken up with discussion of the unseen piece/poem. My first one(the prose), I felt was incredibly difficult, mostly because I didn't really connect with the piece. The second one (poetry) was a lot better. I responded emotionally as well as analytically to the poem as I liked it, and the interview felt like a friendly discussion. It helped that it was the Professor's favourite poem (according to him), so he said it was lovely when I understood it. I don't know if such a friendly connection and shared love of poetry is normal in the interview process, but I think it was probably what got me in.

You can ask me anything, by the way. Certainly don't have the definite or foolproof answers at all but I will help anyway I can.
Last edited by VegetableMarvell; 8 months ago
username4318904
Rep:
?
(Original post by VegetableMarvell)
So, the way the interviews go is that you have two; one is an unseen poetry and one is an unseen prose. You get these unseen pieces in an envelope before the specific interview and have half an hour to analyse them, and then you go to interview. I think it is a real misconception that it's all about your personal statement: obviously youhave to really know you PS, but most of my interview time was taken up with discussion of the unseen piece/poem. My first one(the prose), I felt was incredibly difficult, mostly because I didn't really connect with the piece. The second one (poetry) was a lot better. I responded emotionally as well as analytically to the poem as I liked it, and the interview felt like a friendly discussion. It helped that it was the Professor's favourite poem (according to him), so he said it was lovely when I understood it. I don't know if such a friendly connection and shared love of poetry is normal in the interview process, but I think it was probably what got me in. You can ask me anything, by the way. Certainly don't have the answers at all but I will help anyway I can.
congrats on getting in!! what did you get in GCSEs // expected for a level?
VegetableMarvell
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
congrats on getting in!! what did you get in GCSEs // expected for a level?
I'm expected 3 A*s for A Level.

As for my GCSEs, I got a 9 in Lit and an 8 in Lang, with A* in Geog, Hist, IT and Food Tech, an A in Ethics and 3Bs in Sciences. I don't think they really look too closely at GCSEs as long as they're not starkly different from your predicted A Levels.
EssayDoctor
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

all info welcome
Strictly speaking you need AAA minimum for Oxford or Cambridge and - as I'm sure you know - you can't apply for both on your UCAS application.
That said. Oxford offer a Foundation year (pre-first year) typically at LMH which is fully funded (living expenses and fees) in many subjects for which the grade level is often BBB. And it is outside UCAS. So you can do both. Also Cambridge is flat and windy and Oxford is very rainy. Hope this helps.

http://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/prospective-...oundation-year

I'm Oxford, but I believe Cambridge have started copying LMH and will offer a Foundation Year from 2020. Windy though. Fens. Brr.
Last edited by EssayDoctor; 8 months ago
PattoR
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Honestly i think course structure matters more.. for example imperial offer a 5 year chemistry course with 1 year of paid work experience and oxford do not
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (13)
6.63%
They might tell the bully (20)
10.2%
I don't think they'd understand (33)
16.84%
It might lead to more bullying (71)
36.22%
There's nothing they could do (59)
30.1%

Watched Threads