OM45
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello!

I have an offer to study Neuroscience at UCL. According to the rankings it's one of the best universities in the UK, with one of the best Neuroscience programs. However, I've heard the teachers are not approachable and that they are good at research but not too good at actually teaching others? I'd like to hear some opinions from those who study Neuroscience at UCL. I'm really confused. My other option would be the University of Manchester.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by OM45)
Hello!

I have an offer to study Neuroscience at UCL. According to the rankings it's one of the best universities in the UK, with one of the best Neuroscience programs. However, I've heard the teachers are not approachable and that they are good at research but not too good at actually teaching others? I'd like to hear some opinions from those who study Neuroscience at UCL. I'm really confused. My other option would be the University of Manchester.
As you have worked out rankings mean little. Which course is more interesting? Different people will have different reactions to the same lecturers so you can't necessarily go by what people have said. Have you visited?
Pharmacology
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hiya, UCL pharmacology graduate here (my degree had ~75% overlap with many of those in the neuroscience programme, and we share a department). Some lecturers are more approachable than others, but by and large the quality of teaching is fantastic. I loved spending 4 years at UCL and genuinely enjoyed fostering working relationships with my professors. My masters year was spent working full time in a neuroscience lab and the experience was invaluable! There’s nowhere else quite like it - UCL houses most of the self-described research neuroscientists in the U.K. I miss it so much now I’ve left!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (59)
21.77%
Excited but a bit nervous (124)
45.76%
Not bothered either way (35)
12.92%
I'm really nervous (53)
19.56%

Watched Threads