Government Spends £45,637 Printing Draft EU Withdrawal Agreement Watch

SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
The BBC has found that the government had spent over £45,000 on printing copies of the draft EU withdrawal agreement. Around 1,300 copies of the 600 page document were made and then sent out to MPs and peers.

Setting aside any disagreements people may have on Brexit, what the hell is up with spending £45,000 on print outs?!

It's appalling that the government haven't moved into the modern era and can't just send documents like this out in the form of a PDF. It's not like the document was confidential either given that it was published online in full.

While £45k is minor on it's own, if this is anything to go by then the government is probably wasting millions printing documents which could just be sent to people electronically.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Have you ever read a 600 page pdf? It's painful.
Hard to annotate and near impossible flick to references during debates too.
It's why Martons offered me and other shareholders a hard copy of their annual report at their AGM last month. That's only 150 pages ish.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quady)
Have you ever read a 600 page pdf? It's painful.
Hard to annotate and near impossible flick to references during debates too.
It's why Martons offered me and other shareholders a hard copy of their annual report at their AGM last month. That's only 150 pages ish.
Most standard PDF readers enable you to annotate them easily. If anything it's easier to look for references on a PDF as you have an actual search feature, as opposed to flicking through pages.
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Although it looks ridiculous on face value, i personally hate reading large documents/books on a screen.

Also, assuming we were debating this in Parliament having the MPs flicking through iPads and other smart devices would look odd
Last edited by Andrew97; 1 week ago
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
Most standard PDF readers enable you to annotate them easily. If anything it's easier to look for references on a PDF as you have an actual search feature, as opposed to flicking through pages.
The one on the Samsung Tab S I'm using right now doesn't, though it does have a search function.

Edit
The term 'backstop' is not mentioned anywhere in the text, so I guess the Irish border people keep mentioning is a non-issue.

Edit2
Oh, no, tablet has found its mentioned once.
Last edited by Quady; 1 week ago
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
412 references to 'transition', now just to click through to the one I'm after.

794 references to 'The Euro'..... hmmmmm seems its mixed up with 'the European'
Last edited by Quady; 1 week ago
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Also, assuming we were debating this in Parliament having the MPs flicking through iPads and other smart devices would look odd
Wouldn't look odd when the battery runs out.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 1 week ago
The BBC has found that the government had spent over £45,000 on printing copies of the draft EU withdrawal agreement. Around 1,300 copies of the 600 page document were made and then sent out to MPs and peers.

Setting aside any disagreements people may have on Brexit, what the hell is up with spending £45,000 on print outs?!

It's appalling that the government haven't moved into the modern era and can't just send documents like this out in the form of a PDF. It's not like the document was confidential either given that it was published online in full.

While £45k is minor on it's own, if this is anything to go by then the government is probably wasting millions printing documents which could just be sent to people electronically.
People like hard copies. They are also harder to replicate and this would have been a confidential document. Its just over 5p a page for a treat that will involve billions. I would wnat both, not eberyone wants to read from pdf. Businesses spend millions in printing, the document itslef is more important than minor stationery costs.
TimmonaPortella
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Some people can manage dealing with such things purely on screen, but a lot of us don't like it. When you're trying to get your head around the ins and outs of a massive, complex text, it's important that you do what works for you.

If you have a printout, you can flick around it intuitively and without having to scroll through the whole document or remember a page number, you can note on it, highlight, place tabs to help you navigate it, read for longer... It really is a lot easier. In the case of a lot of MPs, this will be something they've been used to doing for many years.

If you want the search function, there's no rule to say you can't have a printout and a pdf on a screen. I do that all the time.

This is sort of important. We can spare the printing costs.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quady)
The one on the Samsung Tab S I'm using right now doesn't, though it does have a search function.

Edit
The term 'backstop' is not mentioned anywhere in the text, so I guess the Irish border people keep mentioning is a non-issue.

Edit2
Oh, no, tablet has found its mentioned once.
(Original post by Quady)
412 references to 'transition', now just to click through to the one I'm after.

794 references to 'The Euro'..... hmmmmm seems its mixed up with 'the European'
Fair enough; my understanding of PDF viewers is that most enable you to annotate them. The ones on PC do at least. What reader are you using on your tablet?

With regards to your second comment and earlier edit: if you wanted to refer to something specific passage in the text, say during a debate, then you could always note down the pages and then later go back to them when needed.

(Original post by 999tigger)
People like hard copies. They are also harder to replicate and this would have been a confidential document. Its just over 5p a page for a treat that will involve billions. I would wnat both, not eberyone wants to read from pdf. Businesses spend millions in printing, the document itslef is more important than minor stationery costs.
Of course, but it's still a cost. Some people might like hard copies but at the same time it's very wasteful. If Parliament was on an electronic system then they'd have easily saved £45k and will probably save more in future.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 1 week ago
Fair enough; my understanding of PDF viewers is that most enable you to annotate them. The ones on PC do at least. What reader are you using on your tablet?

With regards to your second comment and earlier edit: if you wanted to refer to something specific passage in the text, say during a debate, then you could always note down the pages and then later go back to them when needed.

Of course, but it's still a cost. Some people might like hard copies but at the same time it's very wasteful. If Parliament was on an electronic system then they'd have easily saved £45k and will probably save more in future.
You are failing to understand the value of a hard copy. £45k is less than loose change considering the importance of the document.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
You are failing to understand the value of a hard copy. £45k is less than loose change considering the importance of the document.
I agree with you, I just don't see why this should stop us from wanting to cut down on those costs anyway. Save your pennies and the pounds will look after themselves, if you will.
jameswhughes
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As least once we leave we’ll save £350 million a week.
Laminae
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Don't know why people are complaining about this trivial issue, printing costs money, get over it.

It's a bit hard to annotate an iPhone.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (49)
9.37%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.68%
No, but I want to start (188)
35.95%
No, I am unable to (122)
23.33%
No, I chose not to (150)
28.68%