Which education path should I follow? Watch

IcePanda
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I have a lot of questions and hardly any answers 😭

Basically, I finish year 11 this year so I have to decide whether I'll be staying at my high school or doing A Levels at some college. But I have no idea which options I should choose or what I should do after college. I can't decide between English Language or English Language and Literature. I'm also interested in A Level History.

In the future, I'd like to move abroad (either Japan or South Korea) and teach English at either a Elementary, Middle or High school.

But I how can I reach this goal? What kind of A Levels should I choose? What course should I take at Uni? Can I study abroad (either high school exchange or 4 years of Uni)?

I'd be extremely grateful for any advice ♡
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by IcePanda)
I have a lot of questions and hardly any answers 😭

Basically, I finish year 11 this year so I have to decide whether I'll be staying at my high school or doing A Levels at some college. But I have no idea which options I should choose or what I should do after college. I can't decide between English Language or English Language and Literature. I'm also interested in A Level History.

In the future, I'd like to move abroad (either Japan or South Korea) and teach English at either a Elementary, Middle or High school.

But I how can I reach this goal? What kind of A Levels should I choose? What course should I take at Uni? Can I study abroad (either high school exchange or 4 years of Uni)?

I'd be extremely grateful for any advice ♡
It seems like A-levels is the path you want to pursue. What about English are you more interested in? English Language will look more closely at the language and linguistics aspect, whereas English Language and Literature will focus on this and also textual analysis and interpreting themes and concepts. History should be one of your A-level choices if this is what interests you.

In terms of what you want to do at university, I would pick the subject you are most passionate for. If you are looking to teach abroad, you could this through TEFL after you graduate (they pay you enough to live in the country whilst you teach English, and you can use the rest of the time to travel!). Are you looking to do this in the short or long term?
IcePanda
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by cheesecakelove)
It seems like A-levels is the path you want to pursue. What about English are you more interested in? English Language will look more closely at the language and linguistics aspect, whereas English Language and Literature will focus on this and also textual analysis and interpreting themes and concepts. History should be one of your A-level choices if this is what interests you.

In terms of what you want to do at university, I would pick the subject you are most passionate for. If you are looking to teach abroad, you could this through TEFL after you graduate (they pay you enough to live in the country whilst you teach English, and you can use the rest of the time to travel!). Are you looking to do this in the short or long term?
Thanks for replying
I'm not sure whether English Language or English language and Literature would be best considering I dont really enjoy creative writing.
I'll probably take History A-levels because it's always been my favourite subject. But I cant decide on a third option 🤔
So does that mean that I dont need an English degree in Uni? I kind of wanted to study Asian History and then take a TEFL course after I graduate. I'm looking to teach abroad in the long term (probably until I retire 🤔).
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by IcePanda)
Thanks for replying
I'm not sure whether English Language or English language and Literature would be best considering I dont really enjoy creative writing.
I'll probably take History A-levels because it's always been my favourite subject. But I cant decide on a third option 🤔
So does that mean that I dont need an English degree in Uni? I kind of wanted to study Asian History and then take a TEFL course after I graduate. I'm looking to teach abroad in the long term (probably until I retire 🤔).
I would say English Language and Literature would be better, although it may still involve some original writing depending on the syllabus. It is worth asking your teacher for more information about both subjects. As for a third option, is there anything else you are interested in?

Most people who go on to teach English abroad aren't required to have a specific degree, so long as they get a degree and a good grade. Add to that some good references! It may be worth doing a little research online about TEFL, the path to take and what you will be doing. Typically, people only do this short term, so this might be a good way of seeing if you like to pursue it permanently. You might find some more useful info here: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-prof...nguage-teacher

Some of my friends taught English abroad after they graduated. One friend who studied English taught English abroad in China for a year, one friend who studied Biomedical Sciences taught English in Europe for 6 months and one friend who works in healthcare recently took a break from work to teach English in Asia for 2 months. So teaching English abroad is an option open to many graduates!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.58%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (64)
9.57%
No I am happy with my course choice (378)
56.5%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.35%

Watched Threads