The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by student0299
I found VR harder on the actual day just because I couldn’t find any of the answers so had to guess a lot of them. In my opinion SJ on the actual exam was more straightforward. Each statement was either right or wrong so I found SJ easier than the mocks

Thanks :smile: How did you find DM and AR compared to the practice tests and Medify?
Original post by torsby
Applying this coming cycle can anyone tell me what the sheet of paper and marker is line in the teal ucat test is it thick marker or sharpie sized. Is the paper A5, A4 etc

Think you mean the rough work booklet? You get an entire booklet so plenty of space and they give you a sharpie rather than a thick marker.
DM was the same level of difficulty I think and you’ll definitely have some spare time in the end. And AR was definitely a lot easier. The patterns were much easier to spot
Original post by corncob
Thanks :smile: How did you find DM and AR compared to the practice tests and Medify?
Firstly you have quite a bit of time to prepare now. The ISC book is nothing like the actual exam. If I were you I would mainly use Medify for now and the ISC book for extra practice
Original post by alexa_g62
My ukcat exam is on the 31st of august and i started practising but i just don't understand it at all I'm using the 1250 questions book and medify still I'm so confused.
How do u prepare and understand and am i the only one that doesn't understand this
Firstly you have quite a bit of time to prepare now. The ISC book is nothing like the actual exam. If I were you I would mainly use Medify for now and the ISC book for extra practice

I'm in Australia and since this is the first time we are using UCAT there aren't many courses,

I started with medify and learnt through that but it was pretty confusing since the tactics didn't help much, I then used Medic Mind (20hrs 1 on 1 tutor and 100 modules) which helped a lot especially through the AR, VR and DM.

I also got the 1250 question booklet but it's only meant to supplement your main techniques especially for the AR, SJT and DM. IT'S NOT THE BEST WAY TO LEARN.

So far Medify is the BEST, especially when you want to go through the incorrect questions
Thanks:smile: I got 650 in VR, 670 DM, 740 AR, and 780 QR. If i were you id focus mostly on the VR and DM as they were the most challenging. AR was wayyyyyyy easier than medify and the 1250 book and the QR can completely be ignored tbh
Original post by As.1997
Well done, really good overall score. How were your scores for each section?
Thanks! The QR for me was pretty easy (i kinda took my time solving so i had to guess the last couple questions) but i didnt have any questions like you mentioned. I was surprised that i had 5-6 questions that were literally just replacing values in the formula. There were also a few charts but nothing too difficult. Oh and btw, for SJT, the last 3-4 questions are like the official mock (select the most and least appropriate and they dont give partial marks for this) Good luck:smile:
Original post by melamedic
That's great well done!! Thanks for the heads up on SJT. What were the questions like for QR? Any complicated multi-step tax/interest/time zone questions? Mines on Wednesday and I'd be very happy with a score like that :smile:
The questions were kind of harder than the medify ones (i got band 1 in all 8 medify mocks but ended up with band 2 in the exam). And the last 3-4 questions were select the most and least appropriate (the marking for this has no partial marks). but the majority was how important/appropriate, just less black and white than medify made it seem
Original post by sambridge
For SJT how was it different to medify?
dont worry too much about it. When i first started i got nothing right at all, but after some practice it became easier (completely ignore the AR section in the 1250 book it is literally 100 times harder than the exam questions). Also, there is no need for you to start studying this early on. i started 2 weeks before my exam (intense studying) and got a 2840 overall, so its pretty doable
Original post by alexa_g62
My ukcat exam is on the 31st of august and i started practising but i just don't understand it at all I'm using the 1250 questions book and medify still I'm so confused.
How do u prepare and understand and am i the only one that doesn't understand this
Screen Shot 2019-07-06 at 1.11.07 pm.png
Hey all,
This is a VR question that I am confused about. So I just don't understand why the answer isn't A and B ( i mean isn't the point of horse racing so that one finishes faster than the other??)
Is my reasoning as to why it isn't A right: Not A because extra weight (i.e. for the better horse) is actually equivalent of a lower handicap for the better golfer.

Reply 590
Sounds pretty easy then! Am i right in thinking that is is much easier than medify? Some of the questions are so data-heavy and wordy and confusing!!
Original post by Nearlydone12
Thanks! The QR for me was pretty easy (i kinda took my time solving so i had to guess the last couple questions) but i didnt have any questions like you mentioned. I was surprised that i had 5-6 questions that were literally just replacing values in the formula. There were also a few charts but nothing too difficult. Oh and btw, for SJT, the last 3-4 questions are like the official mock (select the most and least appropriate and they dont give partial marks for this) Good luck:smile:
Is the actual thing easier or harder than medify questions in terms of each section?
Original post by TheHelperMedic
I am not certain about the exact rules of this, so I suggest you look them up. What I do remember from last year, is that VR, QR and AR had questions that belonged to the same 'set'. I can't remember if DM had the sets or not, but I don't think it does. In VR, no information is carried over to a different question in the same set. For QR, I believe that official guide says that SOME information may be helpful if retained by the examinee. Questions in AR definitely carry over information within the set

Thank you. Do you remember if the UCAT calculator uses the backspace for ON/C? Because on the official UCAT Practice tests backspace takes you back a page like in a regular web browser. I don't want to risk doing that on the actual test.
Same as the official practice tests then - dunno why medify doesn't have most/least appropriate type.
The questions were kind of harder than the medify ones (i got band 1 in all 8 medify mocks but ended up with band 2 in the exam). And the last 3-4 questions were select the most and least appropriate (the marking for this has no partial marks). but the majority was how important/appropriate, just less black and white than medify made it seem
Yeah VR has some stupid Qs - basically since the extra weight makes it so better horses are at a disadvantage so answer is B. Think with VR it's just making sure you don't overthink it and chose the answer that is most specific.
Original post by sle30224
Hey all,
This is a VR question that I am confused about. So I just don't understand why the answer isn't A and B ( i mean isn't the point of horse racing so that one finishes faster than the other??)
Is my reasoning as to why it isn't A right: Not A because extra weight (i.e. for the better horse) is actually equivalent of a lower handicap for the better golfer.

Ah I see - thank you so much!
Medify was definitely better. The ISC book is nothing like the UCAT, I feel like the book makes it more complicated like it would be. If I were you I wouldn’t bother focusing lots of attention on the book
I always found the QR on medify decent (i even got 900 in a mock) but yeah the actual exam is much easier
Original post by melamedic
Sounds pretty easy then! Am i right in thinking that is is much easier than medify? Some of the questions are so data-heavy and wordy and confusing!!
Yup pretty much
Original post by sambridge
Same as the official practice tests then - dunno why medify doesn't have most/least appropriate type.
Reply 598
Bloody hell! Do you have a strategy? Do you try not to use the calculator too much/mental maths/skip the harder ones and do easy first? tell me your secrets haha!
I always found the QR on medify decent (i even got 900 in a mock) but yeah the actual exam is much easier
Original post by sle30224
Hey all,

As someone who has had horses in race training the answer should be D. Can anyone please enlighten me as to what answer they wanted?

Latest

Trending

Trending