32.65%
800 - 900 (42)
10.8%
MankyShoe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
the list isn’t released yet but I need to know- Howe hard will it be to find space in my closest one
Lostx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Does SJ stand for ‘situational judgement’? What is this and what do the bands mean?
Lostx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Are there any short-hand techniques to use on the onscreen calculator?
sotor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Lostx)
you can use the keyboard to control it which speeds it up greatly, but i dont remember any specifics
Telefonino
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Lostx)
I don't know of many keyboard shortcuts for the calculator but using the memory function was really helpful for me, it saves time in QR when you're doing sums with large number
mmichelle04
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I feel stupid asking this question but could someone briefly explain how to use the memory function on the calculator. I never used it when I was younger because I preferred to write it down but with these time constraints It would be really helpful to know.
Telefonino
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by mmichelle04)
I feel stupid asking this question but could someone briefly explain how to use the memory function on the calculator. I never used it when I was younger because I preferred to write it down but with these time constraints It would be really helpful to know.
It works the same way as using the ans function on modern calculators. When you have a answer to a sum press M+ to save it, then to use that answer in another equation press MRC and the saved number will appear
Icykitten
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Ja0 How did it go out of interest? I’m due to take mine soon and I’m getting similar percentages in practice to what you got during practices, thanks.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
c_bendelow
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Use medify, I did last year and got in top 20%
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
https://themedicblog.co.uk/ucat-conversion-table/

This table will help give you your scores.
A 'good' score in my opinion would be 2600 plus (add up the 4 sections to get your score) or 650 average
Ja0
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I got these scores:

VR 560
DM 650
QR 710
AR 530
SJ Band 2

I'm terrible at AR so that was expected, but from what I can remember, VR was quite hard that year as well. Best of luck - this was last year, so I don't know if they've made any changes.
(Original post by Icykitten)
Ja0 How did it go out of interest? I’m due to take mine soon and I’m getting similar percentages in practice to what you got during practices, thanks.
c.ozzi
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Browndood)
Hi Guys

Took the UKCAT last year got a score of 705:
VR - 600
DM - 800
QR - 730
AR - 690

Resources Used: 1250 UKCAT Book, Kaplan, Youtube and Medify
Time: 2 Months
Starting Med in September.
Tips:
1. VR is the hardest section by far, this section is all about how you prepare. Practice your techniques and in my opinion only read the question and skim the text for the section and find the answer. DO NOT READ THE ENTIRE PASSAGE.
2. DM I practiced using the 1250 book and medify. I spent the most time preparing on this section and the most important takeaway is understand the differences between some, all, most etc...
3. QR is the most straightforward, simple maths. Only hard part is finishing the section. (Left 2 Qs Blank)
4. AR this section is the one i started with as its about building up a bank of patterns and being able to recognize them once you have seen them before. Used the 1250 book, Kaplan and Medify.
5. Band 2 --> I think the SJT is really luck dependent on if you get band 1 or 2. But enough familiarization with the scenarios should be good enough. Easiest section by far.
Do you think 2 months was a good amount of time? I went to a King's College lecture and they said to revise around 2/3 weeks before the exam (which I found to be quite risky, to be honest). I plan on taking my UCAT in September.
Telefonino
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by c.ozzi)
Do you think 2 months was a good amount of time? I went to a King's College lecture and they said to revise around 2/3 weeks before the exam (which I found to be quite risky, to be honest). I plan on taking my UCAT in September.
They're quoting the UCAT consortium advice, there, which recommends about 30hrs of revision. I found that more time is needed to get used to the styles / ways to approach it but it varies
Icykitten
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by junebugg)
You should join this free UCAT Trial test this Sunday. Everyone does it at the same time online so should give you a reasonably accurate score. http://bit.ly/2VqLHFs
Thank you, where it says from 4pm to 10pm, is that Australian time or British time? Thanks
Icykitten
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Ja0)
I got these scores:

VR 560
DM 650
QR 710
AR 530
SJ Band 2

I'm terrible at AR so that was expected, but from what I can remember, VR was quite hard that year as well. Best of luck - this was last year, so I don't know if they've made any changes.
Thank you for the reply, that’s reassuring to me, the section I mainly struggle with is QR and VR but I’ve seen a lot of people on TSR say that QR is much easier in the real thing, from your experience would you say that is that true?
JMD123
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hello everyone, I am currently in Year 13 and have a conditional offer for medicine. I came out of the UKCAT last year with an abstract reasoning score of 830. I just thought maybe someone would find it helpful if I passed on my advice.

Abstract reasoning can be very difficult at first, there may seem like there are way too many things to look for and not enough time to answer the questions. When you first start doing practice questions I would advise you to take as much time as it takes to find out what the pattern. Work through systematically with a method like SCANS until you find the pattern no matter how long it takes, you can get faster later. If there is a pattern you don't get, write it down after you look at the answer, patterns are very often repeated. Look at your list of patterns regularly to help you remember them. You will begin to be able to go through scans faster as you do more practice and you will begin to become more familiar with the possible patterns.

In terms of timing, for type one questions (The majority of questions) I would advise spending 30 seconds finding the pattern and a couple seconds answering each question. If it takes you more than 30 sec to find the pattern, flag the set of questions and guess the set of questions.

I managed to go from 530 in AR when I first started to practicing 830 in AR for the real thing. I did the whole set of AR practice questions on medify (there are loads) and I know it is cliche but practice is key. Good luck everyone!
jeyada101012
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
very helpful, thanks so much congrats on the offer, where is it for?
(Original post by JMD123)
Hello everyone, I am currently in Year 13 and have a conditional offer for medicine. I came out of the UKCAT last year with an abstract reasoning score of 830. I just thought maybe someone would find it helpful if I passed on my advice.

Abstract reasoning can be very difficult at first, there may seem like there are way too many things to look for and not enough time to answer the questions. When you first start doing practice questions I would advise you to take as much time as it takes to find out what the pattern. Work through systematically with a method like SCANS until you find the pattern no matter how long it takes, you can get faster later. If there is a pattern you don't get, write it down after you look at the answer, patterns are very often repeated. Look at your list of patterns regularly to help you remember them. You will begin to be able to go through scans faster as you do more practice and you will begin to become more familiar with the possible patterns.

In terms of timing, for type one questions (The majority of questions) I would advise spending 30 seconds finding the pattern and a couple seconds answering each question. If it takes you more than 30 sec to find the pattern, flag the set of questions and guess the set of questions.

I managed to go from 530 in AR when I first started to practicing 830 in AR for the real thing. I did the whole set of AR practice questions on medify (there are loads) and I know it is cliche but practice is key. Good luck everyone!
JMD123
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
No problem, happy to help. I got offers from Manchester, Liverpool and Cardiff. I firmed Manchester and insured Liverpool.
(Original post by jeyada101012)
very helpful, thanks so much congrats on the offer, where is it for?
An02
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I’m going to sit the UCAT this year and have heard many mixed responses towards medify, is it really that useful or is it not worth the hype? Also any other resources which are really good that anyone can advise to use?
JMD123
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Personally, I think it is much better than the other resources out there as the interface is similar to the real exam and it also has built in features to show you which sections you need to work on. It also shows you how you are performing compared to other people using the website. I would recommend, my scores greatly improved. I also had the Kaplan resources but didn't like them as much.
(Original post by An02)
I’m going to sit the UCAT this year and have heard many mixed responses towards medify, is it really that useful or is it not worth the hype? Also any other resources which are really good that anyone can advise to use?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.75%
Excited (150)
8.98%
Worried (302)
18.07%
Terrified (374)
22.38%
Meh (154)
9.22%
Confused (37)
2.21%