32.65%
800 - 900 (42)
10.8%
Lostx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Can someone help me with this question please?

John has a voucher that gives him a 20% discount on any appliance sold on that online store. The discount applies only to the price of the item, not on the delivery or installation charge, which he must pay in full. He selects a product and opts for delivery and installation on a Thursday. The total invoice after discount is £401.60. Which product did he buy?

Washing machine- £349, delivery- £30

Washer dryer- £452, delivery- £25, installation- £15

Dishwasher- £353, delivery- £35 installation- £23

Fridge- £412, delivery- £23

Freezer- £383, delivery - £25

Fridge-freezer- £586, delivery- £38

In the answers it says we can exclude the dishwasher, fridge and freezer as they are too cheap to achieve that price after discount.

This doesn’t make sense to me because the fridge is £412 and the price paid is £401.60.
Jackdj2
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Lostx)
Can someone help me with this question please?

John has a voucher that gives him a 20% discount on any appliance sold on that online store. The discount applies only to the price of the item, not on the delivery or installation charge, which he must pay in full. He selects a product and opts for delivery and installation on a Thursday. The total invoice after discount is £401.60. Which product did he buy?

Washing machine- £349, delivery- £30

Washer dryer- £452, delivery- £25, installation- £15

Dishwasher- £353, delivery- £35 installation- £23

Fridge- £412, delivery- £23

Freezer- £383, delivery - £25

Fridge-freezer- £586, delivery- £38

In the answers it says we can exclude the dishwasher, fridge and freezer as they are too cheap to achieve that price after discount.

This doesn’t make sense to me because the fridge is £412 and the price paid is £401.60.
Washer Dryer is £452, so 20% discount means that costs £361.60. Add on £25 in delivery and £15 in installation, and you get £401.60.

I think what they're getting at is that even though the price of the fridge is over the total invoice cost, it's only £10.40 over, so really it's going to be far too low after the 20% discount to be approaching the overall total.

This is a question you can definitely eyeball, and then use the calculator to make sure, rather than go through each one and waste time.
Lostx
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Jackdj2)
Washer Dryer is £452, so 20% discount means that costs £361.60. Add on £25 in delivery and £15 in installation, and you get £401.60.

I think what they're getting at is that even though the price of the fridge is over the total invoice cost, it's only £10.40 over, so really it's going to be far too low after the 20% discount to be approaching the overall total.

This is a question you can definitely eyeball, and then use the calculator to make sure, rather than go through each one and waste time.
Thank you so much!

When practicing do you go methodically through the sections, or do you mix it up a bit?
Jackdj2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Lostx)
Thank you so much!

When practicing do you go methodically through the sections, or do you mix it up a bit?
Depends, at the start I was focusing on one section solely for each 'practice session', but now I'm really just focusing on AR for a while (since that is my weakest section, and also I believe the one that benefits the most from practice). I guess it just depends on what works for you!
Lostx
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Jackdj2)
Depends, at the start I was focusing on one section solely for each 'practice session', but now I'm really just focusing on AR for a while (since that is my weakest section, and also I believe the one that benefits the most from practice). I guess it just depends on what works for you!
Ok

How long do you practice for if you don’t mind me asking?
Lostx
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Is Medify worth the money?
bojkam
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi all,

For the verbal reasoning section it amounts to 28 seconds per questions. I am really struggling to do each question in this time frame. I am not reading the whole passage just skim reading and still cant finish one question in 28 seconds. Does any one have any tips ?

Thanks!
Jackdj2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Lostx)
Ok

How long do you practice for if you don’t mind me asking?
(Original post by Lostx)
Is Medify worth the money?
In terms of how long each session is - I really don't structure it that much. Sometimes I'll spend a good hour going through things, maybe doing a mini-mock on medify, other times i'll just go through 2 or 3 AR questions when I get a moment.

In terms of how long since I began practising - My exam is in early July, so I've been at it for a couple of months already. Some people would argue that's a longer time than necessary, but for me it's all about letting the different AR patterns sink in over an extended period of time. The more you see, the better chance of recognising one in the actual exam, and I'd much rather have those sink in over time than cram them in a few weeks.

Is it worth the money - 100% yes, it's not perfect, no resource is, but it is so useful in helping you to gauge (approximately) how you're doing and what you need to improve on. Note that there seems to be a consensus that the DM section is easier on medify than the exam.
mnnbv
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi!
I got 756.5 Av Band 2 last year.
i cant remember the exact breakdown, it is on some threads from last year though.
my recommendation is to do 1 week using UKCAT books to build some techniques and get used to the style of questions. And then use medify online question bank for 3/4 weeks. This will make sure you dont run out of material! Medify was more true to the real thing than Kaplan in my opinion. Kaplan was very expensive, not as true to the real thing and had very little material for the price point.
I would also probably point out that VR in both Medify and Kaplan are not quite like the real thing. Nor is the official question bank tbh. Medify passages were a lot longer but had more straightforward info in the text and questions. in the real thing, i felt like the texts were slightly harder but shorter.
Also, anybody that is worried, just consider this. In my first mock i got 607 average. in the real thing, i got over 100 points higher!
All about practise- dont give up!

(Also, it may be worth trawling through last years UKCAT thread as i remember a lot of advice was shared on their by everyone)
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by mnnbv; 3 months ago
Browndood
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by c.ozzi)
Do you think 2 months was a good amount of time? I went to a King's College lecture and they said to revise around 2/3 weeks before the exam (which I found to be quite risky, to be honest). I plan on taking my UCAT in September.
The time needed is somewhat subjective, but I think 2 months is enough time to both build and refine the skills you need to be successful.

Probably starting 2-3 weeks after your exams would be ideal in my opinion.
corncob
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Just out of curiosity, for those who have taken the UKCAT before and have used Medify, how well were you performing with the percentage of questions correct, minimocks and mocks? Do you think the scores on Medify are reflective of your actual performance?
Thanks
mnnbv
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by corncob)
Just out of curiosity, for those who have taken the UKCAT before and have used Medify, how well were you performing with the percentage of questions correct, minimocks and mocks? Do you think the scores on Medify are reflective of your actual performance?
Thanks
yes deffo reflective. the average of what i got in all my medify mocks just before my exam was the nearly identical to my actual average in the real thing
GUMBALL77
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hey guys which books shall i study from for the UKCAT exam?? and is it easier than BMAT or harder?
dx31
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
BMAT is much harder and I recommend medify, not books
Icykitten
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi, has anyone here used the medic portal question banks? If so how do those questions compare to the questions in the actual exam?
arigziegler
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Icykitten)
Hi, has anyone here used the medic portal question banks? If so how do those questions compare to the questions in the actual exam?
I used them alongside Medify. Personally I found that Medify was way more representative of the actual exam
TheHelperMedic
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by arigziegler)
I used them alongside Medify. Personally I found that Medify was way more representative of the actual exam
(Original post by Icykitten)
I would back that, medify (in my opinion) is the best representation of the actual exam
c.ozzi
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
when do you think is best to purchase it, in your opinion? A month before the UCAT or around 3 months prior?
(Original post by mnnbv)
yes deffo reflective. the average of what i got in all my medify mocks just before my exam was the nearly identical to my actual average in the real thing
TheHelperMedic
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
when do you think is best to purchase it, in your opinion? A month before the UCAT or around 3 months prior?
I know you didn't ask me but I would recommend 6-7 weeks before the exam date. Or you will peak before the exam
mnnbv
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
1 month of revision is far better. I did about 1 month, with 4/5 hours every day for the final two weeks
3 months you will eun out material and/or peak too soon.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.75%
Excited (150)
8.98%
Worried (302)
18.07%
Terrified (374)
22.38%
Meh (154)
9.22%
Confused (37)
2.21%