The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheHelperMedic
I would back that, medify (in my opinion) is the best representation of the actual exam

What about in terms of the difficulty of the questions?
Original post by Icykitten
What about in terms of the difficulty of the questions?

The best way to practice is to use medify. Do all the questions, and learn from the mistakes that you are making. Medify is fairly representative of the exam questions. But because of how the exam is run (you only answer like 35 questions (on average) out of a large question bank) people can have varying experiences.

I would say practice hard, and keep your fingers crossed. Besides, you don't HAVE to have a very high score. 720 is among the highest that cutoffs are. Get something like 670-690, you will get 2-3 interviews (depending on where you apply obvs)
The best way to practice is to use medify. Do all the questions, and learn from the mistakes that you are making. Medify is fairly representative of the exam questions. But because of how the exam is run (you only answer like 35 questions (on average) out of a large question bank) people can have varying experiences.

I would say practice hard, and keep your fingers crossed. Besides, you don't HAVE to have a very high score. 720 is among the highest that cutoffs are. Get something like 670-690, you will get 2-3 interviews (depending on where you apply obvs)

I don’t have medify I was asking about TMP
Reply 103

i personally used the free Medic portal question bank... medify is better in my opinion

My recommendation would be that you use medify for best results. TMP was subpar imo. Questions were too easy compared to actual exam
Original post by mnnbv
i personally used the free Medic portal question bank... medify is better in my opinion

When you say better what do you mean by that? Would you say that the questions on the medic portal and medify were about the same difficultly or is medify better in terms of how it is presented?
Reply 106
When you say better what do you mean by that? Would you say that the questions on the medic portal and medify were about the same difficultly or is medify better in terms of how it is presented?

As mentioned by myself and others previously, medify is the most representative and the most value for money. To be quite honest, the least representative resource (at least for me) was the official bank.
Reply 107
Thank you!
I know you didn't ask me but I would recommend 6-7 weeks before the exam date. Or you will peak before the exam
Can someone outline the best available UCAT resources? Knowing each of their respective strengths and weaknesses will be of great help to me. Also, if possible, I'd like to find one or two of the best free resources also.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Original post by liam.ro
Can someone outline the best available UCAT resources? Knowing each of their respective strengths and weaknesses will be of great help to me. Also, if possible, I'd like to find one or two of the best free resources also.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Medify is honestly the best one out there. It's not free but I really highly recommend it. The Medic Portal has a free question bank but imo the questions were much less representative of the actual test.
Just booked my UCAT for the 3rd September :smile:

I've bought the 1250 Book and will be using that until August and then I'll buy Medify for a month.

Any tips?
Reply 111
Original post by bfm.mcdermott
Just booked my UCAT for the 3rd September :smile:

I've bought the 1250 Book and will be using that until August and then I'll buy Medify for a month.

Any tips?

my tip would be don't start until at least early-mid July
Original post by sotor
my tip would be don't start until at least early-mid July

How come?

People mentioned above that you'll peak too early but how/why? As in... I get you could run out of questions but how does doing more revision hurt? If you have enough questions.
Reply 113
Original post by bfm.mcdermott
How come?

People mentioned above that you'll peak too early but how/why? As in... I get you could run out of questions but how does doing more revision hurt? If you have enough questions.

I'm not really sure why but it seems to be a common phenomenon with UCAT takers. the UCAT is an aptitude test not a test of knowledge and it's meant to be unprepareable-for. whether it is or not is a different story. however people get fatigued after doing months of practise of near identical questions and I've spoken to quite a few who felt they didn't perform on test day as they felt they would halfway through their practise. personally, I did about 3 weeks of prep for mine and scored 3270.

its all individual of course, if you feel like you wont burn out then it's your choice to do over 3 months of study. i believe the official statement is that the highest scorers did about 25-30 hours of prep.
Reply 114
Is it actually possible to finish all UKCAT sections on time and accurately?
Whats the experience of top scorers in the UKCAT?
Original post by bojkam

Yes if you do it strategically. Personally I used the flagging system as much as possible. I think VR is the only one i didn't finish and pretty much just guessed the last 5 questions. Flagging is really useful for QR and AR, if there's a questions that looks like its going to take longer, just flag it and move on because there's no order to the difficulty of questions, you could have ten really easy ones at the end but if you never reach them you miss out. It's useful for VR too, I flagged the really long texts and pretty much guessed them and still came out with a good score in it.
Reply 116
Original post by bojkam

i finished all the sections, full marks in QR and nearly in VR so definately accurately
I struggled to finish the DM and definitiely had a lot of guesses there. just depends on what your strengths are but you really should put an answer for every question. no excuse for leaving them blank.
Wow that’s a really good score did you get many interviews??
Original post by sotor
I'm not really sure why but it seems to be a common phenomenon with UCAT takers. the UCAT is an aptitude test not a test of knowledge and it's meant to be unprepareable-for. whether it is or not is a different story. however people get fatigued after doing months of practise of near identical questions and I've spoken to quite a few who felt they didn't perform on test day as they felt they would halfway through their practise. personally, I did about 3 weeks of prep for mine and scored 3270.

its all individual of course, if you feel like you wont burn out then it's your choice to do over 3 months of study. i believe the official statement is that the highest scorers did about 25-30 hours of prep.
Reply 118
Original post by An02
Wow that’s a really good score did you get many interviews??

i was lucky enough to get three interviews (also applied to edinburgh who dont interview), declined UCL after the invite and got offers from my other 3 :smile:
What did you apply for and where are you planning to go? Congrats btw that’s honestly a massive achievement!!
Original post by sotor
i was lucky enough to get three interviews (also applied to edinburgh who dont interview), declined UCL after the invite and got offers from my other 3 :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending