Grow your Grades revision tips competition Watch

RichPiana
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
- Laziness: Probably the biggest issue that pretty much most people have come across. Just can’t be bothered to start or don’t have the motivation to start. Once they eventually find the motivation it’s too late.
- Repeating the same old boring routine: Some people believe revision means sitting in the library for 10 hours a day and staring at a revision guide. There are so many methods out there which can be used to revise.
- Lifestyle: Preparing for an exam is more than just revising. You gotta get enough rest and make sure that you drink enough water and are eating properly. Revision is only have the preparation.

Those are just some of the things I remembered off the top of my head.
I AM GROOT 1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Teach someone else! i find if u talk to someone or like me pretend to teach someone it helps largely, as it all comes back to u and u remember it u might like me come up with some things u had never thought about before and expand ur knowledge further. Its easier to follow as ur not secluding ur self to ur notes ur able to elaborate on them. Also through group discussions u might learn some new things from other students and share these ideas collectively. Or make power points and get all the key things or words on a slide each and pretend you have to explain them to someone.
Past papers are indeed ur best friend as u can confirm ur knowledge through such and get the key bits from it, it is likely the examiners will ask similar questions so u will know how to partially answer these.
History or any essay based subject: it is really important yes u know the stuff but its just as important knowing how to structure a good essay so practise questions think about ur possible lines of argument maybe in a table format so u know wat ur exactly gonna say and so u wont stray off task. Also underline the key parts of the question so u understand wat ur being asked to do.
Mind maps, flash cards ect
Rachana.L
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This might not be helpful for everybody but it's how I'm planning on doing my revision from now on:

1. Make sure you understand it!
Not memorise the content but understand what's happening and why, especially for my chem and maths where I literally just spit out the steps/theory I learn.

2. Create a checklist, not a timetable.
Instead of thinking that you've achieved something in an hour, it'd be better to have a list that you know you must complete, without time restrictions so you just get on with it, whenever.

3. Use the Pomodoro Timer
Basically, working in 25-min intervals with a 5-min break. It just means that you don’t zone out and helps me focus all my attention on one thing instead of drifting off.

4. Active Recall
Don’t memorise! Test yourself instead, can you pull that information out of your head with the slightest nudge? Especially for Biology and other content heavy subjects, put all that content into context and keep spinning it around your head in different ways. Write questions for yourself, make flashcards and test yourself and just use the information and have an easy grasp of the subject!

5. Spaced Repetition
I’d suggest using the Curve of Forgetting to really hammer the information you learn into your brain. Don’t let yourself forget the information and have to relearn it, you don’t have to do it everyday but just go through the information again (especially using active recall).

6. Use different methods to study
Make posters, illustrate the entire thing, talk aloud, teach, jump whilst listening to a video, highlight, use flashcards, anything.
There’s no such thing as a specific type of learner, just make your studying interesting and experiment and find what works for each subject for you!

7. Prioritise
What do you find hard, don’t put off the things you find hard, because you will kick yourself when it comes to exam time, trust me!
8. For Application subjects, eg. Chem, Maths, Physics
PRACTICE! There’s no way around it, the questions are going to be so different and you just need to try and have an idea of how to work things out.

9. Talk to the wall.
Recite everything that you know. Pick a topic and just say everything you can about it, this especially helps for essay subjects, it gives you a chance arrange everything store the information because everything you say will have a link.

Say, Economics, pick a Macroeconomics objective, like Inflation, and just say everything about it that you can. Define it, then talk about reasons, causes, examples, questions that could come up about it and try to answer those.
You’re basically creating a huge mind map in your head, but without using a reference or taking too much time.

10. Manage your Time
During my economics mock recently, my timing was terrible and I failed to actually get to the 20 mark essay so just make sure you know the test you’re doing and figure out how log you want to spend and just have it absolutely down by the time you go into an exam hall.

11. Just Start.
The hardest part of revising is starting, so just sit on that table, put your phone away and write something! Anything, 3 minutes in, you will hae your head over the piece of paper totally into it.
mpaprika
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Print the examiners reports!!
They're so useful they're telling you what they want to see!!
TheresaElizabeth
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Evil Homer)
Hey Grow your Graders!

Our New Year study resolutions competition did so well... we have decided to do it again!

Unfortunately its that time of the year where we have to start thinking about that dreaded word.............. revision. To ease the pain we have decided to give away a £25 Amazon voucher to a random winner in this thread!

Simply share your best revision tips here on this thread to be in with a chance to win! We will collect all the best revision and study tips and put them into an article and promote them across our social media platforms

Anything goes, don't be shy, share how you're planning on acing your exams.

Like always everyone is free to get involved, the more the merrier.

Best of luck everyone

Print off the contents page of your textbook/specification and colour code it based on how much you understand it. Start with the ones you least understand, mind map them and do as many practice questions that you can on them then move on!
froggi.png
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Rewriting my class notes up in neat and filling in any gaps with my textbook really helps me a lot.
Listening to instrumental music while I work is great because it helps to stop me becoming bored and demotivated while also not being too distracting. I prefer VGM, especially any Animal Crossing soundtrack because they're all perfect for revision!
Fazzy_77
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Practise, practise, practise.
But remember:
'Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect' - Vince Lombardi
Nutellla
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Year 11's going to be a female dog. So far what I've got is:
1. Past Papers - yeah, I know new GCSEs make this very fun
2. Examiner's Reports - '... but keep your enemies closer'
3. Anything Related to Revising And Learning, Do It At School - Go earlier to school, come back later from school, whatever you need to fulfil this. This way, you are using your environment to stimulate your brain. Keep all the procrastination/social media/extra curricular at home, and keep the learning and revising at school. Obviously, ask permission from your teachers first.
4. If you can't do number 3, use a study lamp - put it on your desk. Turn it on when you're studying. The moment you lose your pace, turn the lamp off and walk around for 5 minutes. Rinse then repeat.
5. Find A Study Buddy - What's better than using peer pressure to force our generation to do something?
6. Habits - Every time you finish a page/chapter/revision resource, reward yourself (but not too much). This is the way habits are formed: Cue, Reward, Repeat. If you make this into a habit, well, you'll apparently have no trouble at uni.
7. DON'T compare yourself to others - honestly, I don't know what's more off-putting.

Yeah, that's all I've got.
Ailurophile03
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
watch study with me videos for motivation
Bill Nye
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Practise past papers. Go through papers, and mark them. Properly. Don't say 'Oh yeah I would've put that' and give yourself a mark. Go through the questions you lost marks on and keep going until you can get a perfect answer for that question.
Treetru
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My main tip is to use your teachers as much as possible. Revision is your chance to get one on one help with anything you've been struggling with over the course. It's a lot easier (and less anxiety inducing) to ask what you think are stupid questions during a session where there's only you and a few other people. Also, as someone said earlier, don't stop excercise and training or other regular commitments if they're not seriously affecting your ability to work. The fact that I kept going to training throughout my GCSEs is what kept me sane!
DaQuestioner
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(This is for GCSEs) For Maths, make sure you practice AS MANY PRACTICE QUESTIONS AS POSSIBLE; don't just assume you know it and think that it is easy, or you will get a surprise when you take a look at the exam. For Science, use the revision guides and then do exam questions for every topic: again, don't assume it is easy or that you completely understand it all. For English, learn key points about the context of the poem/novel/play, learn about 3 quotes per theme/character or poem, and practice a few past papers. Also, check the specification for all your subjects and make sure you know EVERYTHING.
Infinite Series
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
:flower2: Action & Honesty :flower2:

If you didn't get the grades you wanted, don't dwell on it; you can't change the past, but the future is still in your hands.
You should come up with an action plan of what you're going to do to improve on this. Learn from the mistakes you've made in your previous tests to ensure you go into the real exam well prepared.

If you really don't know how to study for a certain subject or are having troubles with answering exam questions, don't feel embarrassed to ask your teachers for extra support- they're here to help and will admire you for taking the initiative to improve your grades. Explain to them where you need help specifically; for example, your teacher can tailor their advice better to you if a student says "I'm struggling with understanding why enzyme pHs are different throughout the body" than if you just said "I'm finding Biology hard".
Beccsx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
First think ahead , and see yourself getting them high grades .
You can do this , it’s achievable !
Then u can find what’s best for you : flashcards Mindmaps , doing exam style questions .
Then once your all done , get on with doing past papers and go over questions u found difficult
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
annlaju
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i hope to start revising after these mocks and this is what i have planned:

make a mindmap to connect ideas on subjects like history and re, then turn it around and write prompts for each 'branch' as prompts. then get another sheet and using the prompts, write down everything you remember. this really helped me recall the opposition the nazis faced in germany and it only took around ten minutes! obviously you have to then go back and write anything you may have missed in a different coloured pen. i will also be using flashcards to learn key terms and dates for these subjects.

more history: one of my school peers makes brief timelines to record bits of history and remember dates on some a3 paper.

for maths, im planning to complete all the maths practice papers. my tutor provides me with one or two a week anyway but i want to redo them all. also, watching videos on mathswatch!!

for english literature and language, im going to look at exemplary/grade 9 answers, annotating them and seeing if there's anything i can steal (phrases, terms, etc.) i will then move onto making plans for questions that may come up and writing paragraphs for some. i will also use flashcards to learn my quotations and mindmaps to connect themes, ideas and characters.

i'm going to try and learn my spanish speaking answers a few days at a time and use flashcards to learn conjugated verbs, level nine phrases and the speaking answers. i will also try listening to spanish music and watch spanish movies during my free time. i will also be using memrise and duolingo!

sciece... i honestly have no idea how to revise for science but hopefully i will be revising through my revision guide, the workbook, myGCSEscience and freesciencelessons.

good luck to everyone else! hopefully some of these helped.
MidnightSymphony
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Find out what works for you and go with it and apply it to different subjects in a different way, and don't worry if it's not the thing that works for other people. You can revise for as long and as arduously as you want but if you don't revise smart, you're wasting your time and preparing for failure.
TheYearNiner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Start revision early and don't be disheartened by poor mock results because you can work hard to improve in the real exams
FloralPrints
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Be confident in yourself and your ability! If you know you've revised properly then there's no need to worry for the exam, all that's left to do is trying your best! x
lavender_rose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Evil Homer)
Hey Grow your Graders!

Our New Year study resolutions competition did so well... we have decided to do it again!

Unfortunately its that time of the year where we have to start thinking about that dreaded word.............. revision. To ease the pain we have decided to give away a £25 Amazon voucher to a random winner in this thread!

Simply share your best revision tips here on this thread to be in with a chance to win! We will collect all the best revision and study tips and put them into an article and promote them across our social media platforms

Anything goes, don't be shy, share how you're planning on acing your exams.

Like always everyone is free to get involved, the more the merrier.

Best of luck everyone

Have a quiet designated study area, free from distractions
Use a website blocker to block distracting sites for revision time e.g. Stay focused
Have snacks and drinks to hand so you can't use hunger as an excuse to procrastinate and make a 4 course meal
Write a study schedule for each session so you know what you are trying to achieve
Give yourself short breaks every hour or however long it takes you to lose concentration
If listening to music helps you try instrumental tracks so the lyrics don't distract you from your work
Make sure you have a good understanding of the topic you are revising, make tutorials with your school, college or uni academic department
Have a designated 'revision police' e.g. a friend or sibling that will check in on you at regular intervals to make sure your still revising/making good progress
Do a little every day instead of trying to cram it all in last minute
Remind yourself of what you are trying to achieve from your revision (e.g. an A* or first class grade)
Finally, reward yourself after a sucessful revision session
Kangaroo17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The fundamental step is to get yourself organised. Have you got a tidy workspace? If you think you work better in a clean environment organise your room as well! Organise loose sheets by chapter in folders, a to-do-list for things to do today etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (49)
9.37%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.68%
No, but I want to start (188)
35.95%
No, I am unable to (122)
23.33%
No, I chose not to (150)
28.68%