Is it better to go Russell Group university?(History of Art)

Watch
username4037286
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello
I am an international student so I am a bit confused about the uni application.

I am to study History of Art and about to go uni that is not in the Russell Group, but still in a high rank for the subject and overall ranking.

Obviously, I have a choice and I wonder if it would be better to go russell group uni... but I like the course in the uni that I am applying for!

Which uni do you think is good to study History of Art?
except Courtauld and Oxbridge.
... for example,

Birmingham

Bristol

Edinburgh

East Anglia

Exeter

Glasgow

Kent

Leeds

Manchester

Sussex

Warwick

York
kamran88
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi there!

I'm also applying to study BA History of Art this year! I have applied for: Courtauld, SOAS, Birmingham, Leeds and East Anglia.

When I was deciding on universities to apply for, I took Russell Group into account because I found that most of the universities in the Top 10 for History of Art were Russell Group uni's. These uni's tend to have better facilities and are quite research intensive, which appeals to me.

I haven't decided where I'll be studying yet. I've received offers from most of my choices, but I want to make sure I choose a university which offers modules in global art, not just Western art. At the moment, I'm drawn to East Anglia and SOAS for their modules but I haven't done research into the Courtauld's modules yet.

Hope this helps
Kamran
(Original post by kyeong918)
Hello

I am to study History of Art and about to go uni that is not in the Russell Group, but still in a high rank for the subject and overall ranking.

Obviously, I have a choice and I wonder if it would be better to go russell group uni... but I like the course in the uni that I am applying for!

... for example,

Birmingham

Bristol

Edinburgh

East Anglia

Exeter

Glasgow

Kent

Leeds

Manchester

Sussex

Warwick

York
StudentRep Medway
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by kyeong918)
Hello

... for example,

Birmingham

Bristol

Edinburgh

East Anglia

Exeter

Glasgow

Kent

Leeds

Manchester

Sussex

Warwick

York
Hi there!
I'm a social media student rep for the University of Kent, so if you have any questions about life at Kent please feel free to ask
You can talk to current students studying BA History of Art through our Unibuddy scheme which you can access here; https://www.kent.ac.uk/unibuddy/
This can be helpful to find out how others have found the course and what they are looking to do with their degrees after university. Also, although Kent is not a Russell Group university it is still quite highly regarded, ranking in the top 20 in the country for History of Art so you certainly aren't making a compromise.
But if you have any questions about general life at Kent, don't hesitate to ask!
I hope that this helps!
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
One question asked a million times, it's irrelevant in most cases.
username4037286
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi!

Thanks for your opinion!
Congrats for your offers!
I received offers from UEA and Edinburgh for history of art and others for different subject!
I am still under the consideration. Anyway, good luck with your further application process!
(Original post by tiredandtireless)
Hi there!

I'm also applying to study BA History of Art this year! I have applied for: Courtauld, SOAS, Birmingham, Leeds and East Anglia.

When I was deciding on universities to apply for, I took Russell Group into account because I found that most of the universities in the Top 10 for History of Art were Russell Group uni's. These uni's tend to have better facilities and are quite research intensive, which appeals to me.

I haven't decided where I'll be studying yet. I've received offers from most of my choices, but I want to make sure I choose a university which offers modules in global art, not just Western art. At the moment, I'm drawn to East Anglia and SOAS for their modules but I haven't done research into the Courtauld's modules yet.

Hope this helps
Kamran
University of East Anglia
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi kyeong918! So straight up, the Russell Group question is one that I get asked a lot in my role at UEA. A study by Durham University has actually revealed that while Oxford and Cambridge stand apart, the rest of the Russell Group's performance does not live up to its ‘elite’ tag and we should be reconsidering how we judge universities based on this element of their reputation. There’s also a TSR article on this which you may find interesting.

When selecting a university way back in 2012, I had exactly the same question as you. However, it’s so important that you take into account all the other factors before you make your final decision. Factors like the quality of teaching, the city, the course and modules on offer, facilities, accommodation and student life will affect your university experience – and three years is a long commitment!

I may be a little bias, but UEA is a fantastic option to consider. The History of Art course is based in the Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts - which is a beautiful setting and means you are in close proximity to works by Francis Bacon, Edgar Degas, Jacob Epstein, Henry Moore and Pablo Picasso.

Is there anything in particular you are looking for in terms of university choices? I studied BA History (2015 graduate) and currently work and study here (part-time MA in Media and Cultural Politics) so I am fairly equipped to advise on everything on offer at UEA and to share my own experience!

- Laura, UEA Official TSR Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.99%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (30)
16.13%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (30)
16.13%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (28)
15.05%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (50)
26.88%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (35)
18.82%

Watched Threads