Kindred
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Notnek)
What’s the trickiest situation that you’ve had to deal with?

I thought I’d ask this since it’s an AMA but I understand if this kind of thing has to be kept private.
Like you've said for the sake of privacy there's not a whole lot I can say because they aren't my stories to tell.

But speaking generally (both in and out of the PSV situation) I always do find it a bit challenging when people are clearly suffering and it seems that maybe they're going to have to suffer on a bit longer before things improve or when it doesn't really feel like anything you can say is going to make things feel better (or at least not then).
And I do always find it really tough when people seem to be having difficulties getting help on the NHS. It can take a long time to get to where you need to or sometimes doctors don't seem to understand at the start and that is hard to hear about cos we can't really do much other than direct people to that sort of thing and hope it helps so hearing when that isn't going as well as it should be is hard.
It really sucks when you know you can't just fix something. I have hope that everybody will find relief and feel better and I know that it is possible, but that's not something you really get to see and knowing that it could be a while before that happens is hard at times. I just try to remember that it is possible to feel better and that by doing things like this we're hopefully working towards helping all those individual people and also making more progress with getting future people support sooner and mental health not being such a dark and lonely place anymore.

That's more the nature of mental health than anything specifically PSV, but I think you end up thinking about it a bit more when you're talking about it more and hearing from more and more people. It just makes it that bit more real.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Interrobang
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For me, I think the most difficult situations are the ones that have been 'in progress' (so someone has said they will do something, or they have done something very harmful and potentially lethal), along with the occasional replies we get that can be verbally aggressive
Notnek
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Interrobang)
For me, I think the most difficult situations are the ones that have been 'in progress' (so someone has said they will do something, or they have done something very harmful and potentially lethal), along with the occasional replies we get that can be verbally aggressive
That can't feel nice at all to receive aggressive replies when you're offering voluntary help. I hope that the more positive responses make up for the occasional negative posts.
Interrobang
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That can't feel nice at all to receive aggressive replies when you're offering voluntary help. I hope that the more positive responses make up for the occasional negative posts.
No it's never nice to get those sorts of replies, but thankfully they are pretty uncommon, and we've got a good peer support network between us Plus the CT get involved if necessary
Notnek
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Deyesy, BurstingBubbles, chelseadagg3r, Charlotte's Web and Interrobang thanks for all the replies I'm sure I speak for most in saying that we greatly admire all the work that you do.

EDIT: Not forgetting Kindred and shadowdweller
Last edited by Notnek; 1 week ago
Interrobang
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Deyesy, BurstingBubbles, chelseadagg3r, Charlotte's Web and Interrobang thanks for all the replies I'm sure I speak for most in saying that we greatly admire all the work that you do.
You forgot a couple shadowdweller and Kindred

But thanks
Notnek
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

But thanks
Damn I quoted the list in the OP but of course it didn't include shadowdweller It looks like you need to add Kindred to the OP list.
Kindred
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

But thanks
Damn I quoted the list in the OP but of course it didn't include shadowdweller It looks like you need to add Kindred to the OP list.
Thanks
And thanks for asking some good questions (to everybody). It's interested to hear some of other people's responses and to know what people wonder about the PSV team.
entertainmyfaith
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
would you say you've learnt things from being a psv? like skills or just your general outlook on the world and mh etc
Kindred
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
would you say you've learnt things from being a psv? like skills or just your general outlook on the world and mh etc
One learning experience has been the training we did with Samaritans. It covered some things about self harm and suicide that I didn't necessarily know (like a few myths busted and things like that) and also helped with ways to talk to people and what some signs are that people might be going through a rough time.

And this is a bit of a downer in some ways but I have also learned just how far we have to go in some areas. Mental health is a big deal and we are starting to understand how much, but there's just not the support out there right now that's really needed and there is a bit of a taboo about talking about mental health. It's not all bad cos I really do believe that it's improving. In some ways I've lost of of that rose-ie tint to the world, but in other ways I've been shown just how amazing the world can be. Seeing so many people coming along and responding to threads from somebody having a hard time shows how caring people can be even to people they don't know. With that sort of care in it the world can't be such a bad place and it gives me real faith that in later years young people (and less young) will have more and more support for their mental health and it won't be so much of an issue or taboo anymore.

Also from being part of the team I think I've learnt some stuff like communication and all that lovely CV kinda stuff.
Little Popcorns
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
how do you become a peer support mentor
shadowdweller
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Little Popcorns)
how do you become a peer support mentor
Hi, I believe currently you need to be an ST member before you can join the PSV team so that you are DBS checked and have the forum powers you need. You also need to be over 18 to become a member.
Last edited by shadowdweller; 5 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (50)
9.47%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.65%
No, but I want to start (189)
35.8%
No, I am unable to (123)
23.3%
No, I chose not to (152)
28.79%