LLB Law at City or BA/BSC Politics at KCL?

Watch
RRahman10
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello Everyone

I need advice on whether it is worth switching from my current programme, LLB Law at City, University of London to BA/BSC Politics at Kings College London. I have had an interest in Politics since the very beginning which is why I had Politics as my initial choice in terms of studying the programme at university. But was lead away from studying programme due to various opinions of people stating the LLB had held more weight in terms of the value of the degree and the job prospects. I am now in the first year of the LLB and find that I am not thoroughly enjoying the subject and find that there is an excessive amount of reading to do. I have also heard from numerous sources that achieving first and even a 2:1 on the LLB is very difficult compared to other programmes, and anything below a 2:1 isn’t worth anything.

I currently hold an unconditional offer for BA/BSC Politics at Kings College London for 2019 entry. I know a very intelligible friend who studies a similar programme at the university, they had stated themselves the modules in the first year of the programme are quite difficult and that they are averaging at 2:2’s. Upon hearing of my switch of programmes he recommended that I stay on the LLB. As I would struggle on the modules for the programme as well as switching programmes would mean going through the first year again and that it simply isn’t worth it.

I now need clarification from you people on whether it is worth switching programmes?
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RRahman10)
Hello Everyone

I need advice on whether it is worth switching from my current programme, LLB Law at City, University of London to BA/BSC Politics at Kings College London. I have had an interest in Politics since the very beginning which is why I had Politics as my initial choice in terms of studying the programme at university. But was lead away from studying programme due to various opinions of people stating the LLB had held more weight in terms of the value of the degree and the job prospects. I am now in the first year of the LLB and find that I am not thoroughly enjoying the subject and find that there is an excessive amount of reading to do. I have also heard from numerous sources that achieving first and even a 2:1 on the LLB is very difficult compared to other programmes, and anything below a 2:1 isn’t worth anything.

I currently hold an unconditional offer for BA/BSC Politics at Kings College London for 2019 entry. I know a very intelligible friend who studies a similar programme at the university, they had stated themselves the modules in the first year of the programme are quite difficult and that they are averaging at 2:2’s. Upon hearing of my switch of programmes he recommended that I stay on the LLB. As I would struggle on the modules for the programme as well as switching programmes would mean going through the first year again and that it simply isn’t worth it.

I now need clarification from you people on whether it is worth switching programmes?
There's going to be loads of reading on the BA/BSc Politics programme too.

Have you discussed this with your personal tutor to explore exactly why you're not enjoying the LLB?
Human_bean
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Decide based on your future career aspirations. What would you like to do? And which degree is going to help you get there? Personally, I was in a similar situation, but I ended up studying law because you don’t really need a politics degree to work in politics, whilst the same cannot be said for Law.
Human_bean
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Eh, you know what I mean. If he wants to be a lawyer, it’s the simple route.

Plus, without an LLB you’d have to do the GDL later, so whilst you may not need an undergrad per se, you do require a law degree/diploma.
Last edited by Human_bean; 1 year ago
RRahman10
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
There's going to be loads of reading on the BA/BSc Politics programme too.

Have you discussed this with your personal tutor to explore exactly why you're not enjoying the LLB?
Still the reading is not going to be as excessive as Law .

I thoroughly enjoy Politics where I cannot say the same for Law. I only decided to study Law when I heard from other people that a Politics degree is kind of pointless, whereas the LLB held more value in terms of the actual degree and the job prospects.

No I still haven’t discussed this with my personal tutor but will do soon.
Last edited by RRahman10; 1 year ago
RRahman10
Rep:
?
(Original post by Human_bean)
Eh, you know what I mean. If he wants to be a lawyer, it’s the simple route.

Plus, without an LLB you’d have to do the GDL later, so whilst you may not need an undergrad per se, you do require a law degree/diploma.
Say like I do not want to be lawyer but just doing the LLB for the sake of the value of the degree.

My question is,

is it worth going through the intensity of the LLB if I am not going to become a lawyer and just want a valuable degree in general?
RRahman10
Rep:
?
(Original post by Human_bean)
Decide based on your future career aspirations. What would you like to do? And which degree is going to help you get there? Personally, I was in a similar situation, but I ended up studying law because you don’t really need a politics degree to work in politics, whilst the same cannot be said for Law.
To be honest I really do not know what I want to do career wise. I just want a degree which is valuable and sets a solid foundation for me.
Aloha1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do Politics at KCL. You clearly seem to have more of an interest in the subject than law. If you want to be a lawyer just do the GDL straight after uni. Better to enjoy 2/3 years than dislike it.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It sounds like you have already made your mind up that you would prefer to study Politics because you find it more interesting, and that's a valid reason. I've heard lots of people say that Law as an academic subject is dry and boring compared to the subjects that people choose out of a genuine interest in the subject (rather than just because it sounds prestigious, or they have some vague idea about being a "lawyer" in the future). You already know that you enjoy Politics and have a good offer from King's, so in my opinion, switching to Politics at KCL sounds like a good idea for you.
Last edited by harrysbar; 1 year ago
Human_bean
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Say like I do not want to be lawyer but just doing the LLB for the sake of the value of the degree.

My question is,

is it worth going through the intensity of the LLB if I am not going to become a lawyer and just want a valuable degree in general?
Politics is a valuable degree too. I agree with others, you’ve got a good offer from Kings, go for it. The best thing to do is study something you love. If you’re already not enjoying Law, you are really going to struggle during 2nd and 3rd year.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Still the reading is not going to be as excessive as Law .

I thoroughly enjoy Politics where I cannot say the same for Law. I only decided to study Law when I heard from other people that a Politics degree is kind of pointless, whereas the LLB held more value in terms of the actual degree and the job prospects.

No I still haven’t discussed this with my personal tutor but will do soon.
It won't be the amount of reading really. More that pol reading is softer and easier to ingest. There are history, pol/IR, phil and lit students who read more pages than me -- but what I was reading was, oft, torture.
Last edited by Notoriety; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads