The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Birmingham v

I received offers from both Birmingham City and Huddersfield for accounting, both have similar entry grades.
I'm really struggling in what to choose so I'm here asking if anyone can help me

I'm from Northern Ireland so going to visit the Unis isn't really an option.

What's your experience with the unis? What the teaching like? Student life? General area?

Any Information would be greatly appreciated!

Grace xo
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by graces.15
I received offers from both Birmingham City and Huddersfield for accounting, both have similar entry grades.
I'm really struggling in what to choose so I'm here asking if anyone can help me

What's your experience with the unis? What the teaching like? Student life? General area?

Grace xo

Hi Grace,

Well done on getting your offers!

We understand that Open Days aren’t always an option for students, so we’ve tried to give you as much information about BCU before you get here.
Last year, we put together a facilities video showcasing our Curzon Building, which is where our Birmingham City Business School is based and where the majority of the lectures and seminars take place for our Accounting students.

We also asked our students for their opinions, and you can find them all here. I’m sure Huddersfield have similar pages and videos too, so it will be a great way to compare both options.

Have you received a phone call from us recently? We have current students phoning all of our applicants during the evening between Monday and Thursday. This is the best way to find out more about the course, the uni and the city from someone who was in your position just a few years ago. But if you have any burning questions you’d like to know, let me know and I’ll pass it on to our ambassadors later tonight.

Thanks
Darren
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Hi Grace, I'm studying at the University of Huddersfield, and I'm an international student, so I didn't get to visit open days either.
University of Huddersfield isn't as popular but it's a lovely Uni and my experience has been great so far! Although I don't study accounting, it was one of my modules last year.
In terms of teaching, the lecturers are experienced, good at what they do and extremely helpful. You'll find support for everything. There is a variety and industrial relevance in terms of the assignments we get, and this has been very useful for me personally, especially in my second year, when I was looking for placements.
As a student there is so much to get involved in, be it societies, volunteering, themed nights, students' union etc. Like you won't ever feel bored.
The Uni is very close to the town centre and cheaper than most places for night outs and living in general. The railway station and bus station are a 10-15 minute walk from the Uni. Student accommodations can be found at a walking distance or a short bus ride away. Living is safe and easy in Huddersfield. For me, I didn't even realise when the little town became my second home. Hope this helps :smile:

If you want more information about your course, i've got friends who study accounting, let me know and i'll give them a shout :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
I'm currently in my third year at Huddersfield University. Although I don't study accounting, I can definitely give you an idea of what the University itself and the surrounding area is like.
From my experience, all of the staff at the university are incredibly helpful and only a quick email away if you ever need anything. The campus itself is quite small but I personally prefer it as it doesn't take ages to get from point A to point B. The university is also about a 2 minute walk from the town center so everything is within an extremely convenient distance.
There are also a handful of accommodations that are no more than a five minute walk to the university, something which I found extremely useful in my first and second years.
There's plenty to do in terms of student life too. Bars and clubs are on every street so there's plenty to choose from. One of my favorite things is the fact that Huddersfield is situated between Manchester and Leeds so if you were ever to want to do something different, they're only a very short train ride away.
I've always found the general area to be nice and friendly. I've never experienced any sort of issue and I've been here for well over two years now.
Hope this helps!
Original post by graces.15

Grace xo

Hello,

First of all, congrats on those offers - that's great!

I'm the Student Rep for Huddersfield and, while I don't study accountancy, I can give you a quick idea of the uni if you'd like?

- The campus is small and so everything is a quick walk - which is appreciated when it's cold but there's space to sit outside in the summer which is so lovely.
- The staff really know their stuff and the modules taught on courses are engaging while giving you a holistic degree.
- Because we're a small uni, everyone really knows each other and the staff have the time to engage properly with their students which means there's a lot of support when things are rough.
- Everything is so cheap - from pints to meals out to accommodation, Huddersfield is such an affordable place!
- The town is small but has everything you need - from a theatre, cinema and Premiership football team to a shopping centre and great rail-links to bigger cities such as Manchester, Leeds and York.

It's a really lovely town and a nice place to study - I really recommend it!

If you have any questions or I can be more help, please feel free to drop me a message!

Abbi

Student Rep, University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending