The Student Room Group

Muslim parents protest against gay equality lessons

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-47040451
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/jan/31/school-defends-lgbt-lessons-after-religious-parents-complain

“Primary school parents have been protesting over their children being taught about LGBT rights and homophobia.
Some parents at Parkfield Community School in Birmingham claim the teachings contradict the Islamic faith.
Mariam Ahmed, whose daughter attends the school, has organised a petition against the "No Outsiders" project.
The school said it aimed to educate children so they were able to accept differences in society.
Ms Ahmed said: "Sorry at this age it's totally wrong. Children at this age don't even know if they are coming or going, let alone knowing what sexual orientation they will become."
Asma and Mohammed Jdaitawi added: "It's good to teach children about respect and values but the sexual orientation aspect is against our principles."”

Scroll to see replies

as a muslim, i think it's important to develop a level of tolerance between societies. for far too long i've had negative connotiations about gay people and admittedly do make the occasional jokes that would be deemed distasteful.. but it just stems from growing up with that negative stigma.

if we can break it from the offset.. would be great. we need to be more toleratant towards people who are different - otherwise we just all go to ****.

you don't have to agree with people's choices but you have to be tolerant.
Reply 2
Typical backwards religious thinking. When will they finally realise their beliefs are made up from humans long ago and start to think for themselves, rather than follow the ideas of people thousands of years ago.

Being LGBTQ+, Ace or Hetero doesn’t cause harm to anyone, so why can’t we just all accept it and move on, the debates are just being recycled over and over, and weren’t very good to start with anyway.
Original post by NickAlex12
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-47040451
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/jan/31/school-defends-lgbt-lessons-after-religious-parents-complain

“Primary school parents have been protesting over their children being taught about LGBT rights and homophobia.
Some parents at Parkfield Community School in Birmingham claim the teachings contradict the Islamic faith.
Mariam Ahmed, whose daughter attends the school, has organised a petition against the "No Outsiders" project.
The school said it aimed to educate children so they were able to accept differences in society.
Ms Ahmed said: "Sorry at this age it's totally wrong. Children at this age don't even know if they are coming or going, let alone knowing what sexual orientation they will become."
Asma and Mohammed Jdaitawi added: "It's good to teach children about respect and values but the sexual orientation aspect is against our principles."”

I personally wouldn't protest against it, just take the children out of the school. If you don't agree with this specific issue then just ignore it. That's what I do.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by thestudent33
I personally wouldn't protest against it, just take the children out of the school. If you don't agree with this specific issue then just ignore it. That's what I do.

And that is rather sad because it does not solve anything. Gay Muslims are scared of being ostracised by other Muslims. It shows me that many Muslims have no concept of what true Islam is about!
Original post by Bio 7
Typical backwards religious thinking. When will they finally realise their beliefs are made up from humans long ago and start to think for themselves, rather than follow the ideas of people thousands of years ago.

Being LGBTQ+, Ace or Hetero doesn’t cause harm to anyone, so why can’t we just all accept it and move on, the debates are just being recycled over and over, and weren’t very good to start with anyway.

tbh rhetoric like this doesn't help in bridging that gap. hate from both sides, just further decides. idk how old you are.. but you will realise as you grow older
Original post by mgi
And that is rather sad because it does not solve anything. Gay Muslims are scared of being ostracised by other Muslims. It shows me that many Muslims have no concept of what true Islam is about!

But the thing is you can't be muslim and gay. You have to be one or the other
Reply 7

Original post by gr8wizard10
as a muslim, i think it's important to develop a level of tolerance between societies. for far too long i've had negative connotiations about gay people and admittedly do make the occasional jokes that would be deemed distasteful.. but it just stems from growing up with that negative stigma.

if we can break it from the offset.. would be great. we need to be more toleratant towards people who are different - otherwise we just all go to ****.

you don't have to agree with people's choices but you have to be tolerant.

Yes but the problem is that being tolerant is not the same thing as being respectful and kind!
But the thing is you can't be muslim and gay. You have to be one or the other

How is believing in Allah and Muhammad incompatible with being attracted to the same sex; sexual orientation not being something you can control?

It’s precisely comments like yours which are part of the problem.
Homophobic parents show they are homophobic.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
How is believing in Allah and Muhammad incompatible with being attracted to the same sex; sexual orientation not being something you can control?

Well as I said I choose to ignore these things, so i really shouldn't have commented. Thanks for pointing out my error, I won't comment any more
Reply 11
Original post by gr8wizard10
tbh rhetoric like this doesn't help in bridging that gap. hate from both sides, just further decides. idk how old you are.. but you will realise as you grow older

Almost 20 so I will stand by it. I’m tired of seeing hate for Non-straight people mostly spread by religious people because of their faith teaching them it. Unless people start to decide what they think about these things, rather than blindly follow religious teachings and not decide which parts hate people for no reason then I won’t be able to stop hating the faith excuse. Too many people back up their intolerance with faith and it just causes more harm, because there is no reason for it.
These things need to be challenged or the population would still be largely religious and we wouldn’t have moved forward as much as we have.
Original post by mgi

Yes but the problem is that being tolerant is not the same thing as being respectful and kind!

why shouldn't it be the same as being respecful and kind. how else do we bridge communities if we don't work together.

what's hanging is this older generations lack of reasoning and understanding that they are in a new society with different cultural norms. I fully agree that these parents are wrong - and they need educating themselves, even before their children - because we are influenced more from our parents at an early age
This is why it’s better for Muslim parents to send their children to an Islamic school. Don’t complain about your kids learning this stuff when you’re the ones who signed them up for it.
Homosexuality is quite obviously against Islam so I can’t see why a Muslim parent would want their kids to be taught that it’s actually all good. There are more Islamic schools nowadays which educate children according to Islamic values so it is better for parents to send their children to these. At the end of the day, a state school doesn’t have to cater to just one religious group. It is funded by the British state and will teach what the state wants them to learn.
Original post by FarhanHalim
Homosexuality is quite obviously against Islam so I can’t see why a Muslim parent would want their kids to be taught that it’s actually all good.

A story about homophobia and the homophobics comes crawling out of the woodwork.
Original post by mgi

Stop posting the same thing over and over again
Original post by mgi

True Islam doesn’t accept homosexuality, it is against the religion.
Original post by FarhanHalim
Homosexuality is quite obviously against Islam so I can’t see why a Muslim parent would want their kids to be taught that it’s actually all good. There are more Islamic schools nowadays which educate children according to Islamic values so it is better for parents to send their children to these. At the end of the day, a state school doesn’t have to cater to just one religious group. It is funded by the British state and will teach what the state wants them to learn.

Is it better to educate children according to Islamic values, or for them to get a better-rounded and more worldly education? Which is more useful? They're going to meet gay people in real life; isn't it important that they're well-equipped to interact with gay people in constructive ways?

I see this kind of protest as a good thing - it generates interesting questions and more productive discourse, than if all kids were just educated according to their parents' cultures. I'm not one of those who says that the children of immigrants should completely integrate into British culture and be indistinguishable from the average British kid, but I think it is important that they learn about all the different worldviews that Britain has to offer.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

All Muslims have, I am sure, at some point committed a sin that is forbidden in Islam. What takes one out of the fold of Islam is if they openly disagree with Islam, for example if they say that homosexuality is ok when it’s not. Most gay Muslims seem to think that there is nothing in Islam against it when there is.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending