The Student Room Group

Muslim parents protest against gay equality lessons

Scroll to see replies

While I do agree with the Muslims in this matter. Bear in mind that parents taking their kids out of school to avoid them being sold an inaccurate idea about Islam, were tarred as racists. So those giving out that label should be consistent and brush them off as homophobes.
Original post by Decahedron
I would imagine Islamic law which dictates how the school is run.

If that's the case, it only proves yet again that Islam has no real place in English society.
I personally don't think there's absolutely ANYTHING wrong with having taught about LGBT rights at school because at the end of the day they are HUMAN RIGHTS! And everyone should be made aware of them whether they're religious or not.
I am a Muslim teenager myself who am also at a point in life where I am having difficulty with my sexuality...:frown:
And like someone mentioned earlier it's comments such as "you cannot be Muslim and gay" that make it difficult for people like myself.
I understand other religions such as some orthodox Catholic parents may also not want their children been taught about LGBT rights but, if schools can teach RE they surely should be able to teach students about human rights. I feel some orthodox parents may feel that by teaching LGBT rights in school it will somehow "turn" their children into something other than straight. Which I know is ridiculous but these are some of the thoughts of parents who are quite traditional.

Yes, Islam encourages teaching the values of kindness and honesty but the teaching of LGBT rights in my opinion should not be ignored because they are equally as important.

As by being taught about acceptance from an earlier age, it will allow young individuals to grow up to become more open minded people and it can help to maybe even reduce the number of people being homophobic/islamophohic in the future :smile:

At the end of the day we are all humans, and if we do disagree with someone's else's behaviour we are no-one to judge, let God deal with it in the hereafter.
I believe there's only one type of race and that is the human race!:smile:
Original post by MoSaqib
Lol this just shows what you think of us and our culture, and then you complain when we don’t respect your culture. Muslims don’t all live in ‘mud huts’ and plenty of that actually has to do with what your ancestors did back during the British/French empires.

Our ancestors could only do that because they had better technology.Science and technology> faith and superstition.Every single time.You haven't learnt a thing either because most Muslim countries still have blasphemy laws.Its beliefs that are holding you back nothing to do with colonialism.
Original post by Rs5644
Our ancestors could only do that because they had better technology.Science and technology> faith and superstition.Every single time.You haven't learnt a thing either because most Muslim countries still have blasphemy laws.Its beliefs that are holding you back nothing to do with colonialism.

You should read up on the Golden Age of Islam, it is a fascinating period of history.
Reply 45
Original post by Alisha999
I personally don't think there's absolutely ANYTHING wrong with having taught about LGBT rights at school because at the end of the day they are HUMAN RIGHTS! And everyone should be made aware of them whether they're religious or not.
I am a Muslim teenager myself who am also at a point in life where I am having difficulty with my sexuality...:frown:
And like someone mentioned earlier it's comments such as "you cannot be Muslim and gay" that make it difficult for people like myself.
I understand other religions such as some orthodox Catholic parents may also not want their children been taught about LGBT rights but, if schools can teach RE they surely should be able to teach students about human rights. I feel some orthodox parents may feel that by teaching LGBT rights in school it will somehow "turn" their children into something other than straight. Which I know is ridiculous but these are some of the thoughts of parents who are quite traditional.

Yes, Islam encourages teaching the values of kindness and honesty but the teaching of LGBT rights in my opinion should not be ignored because they are equally as important.

As by being taught about acceptance from an earlier age, it will allow young individuals to grow up to become more open minded people and it can help to maybe even reduce the number of people being homophobic/islamophohic in the future :smile:

At the end of the day we are all humans, and if we do disagree with someone's else's behaviour we are no-one to judge, let God deal with it in the hereafter.
I believe there's only one type of race and that is the human race!:smile:

Very well said.
Original post by Daigan
Very well said.

Haha thank you! 😊
You should read up on the Golden Age of Islam, it is a fascinating period of history.

That was also like 1000 years ago.You can't really brag about something which happened 1000 years ago.If you haven't made any progress in 1000 years that doesn't really say much does it?
Tolerance - the idea of being intolerent towards intolerence.

What an oxymoron this word is.

No, but really this tolerance thing is basically code for accepting and not challenging the principles of leftists in society. It is nothing more than this. Tolerance does not include tolerance of ideas that contradict the principles of leftism. No, society does not tolerate such things.

People should be allowed to choose what their children are taught at schools. People should be allowed to criticise any practice they deem unacceptable. If you are not going to tolerate their beleifs then what right do you have to ask them to tolerate yours?
(edited 5 years ago)
I thought Muslims had to live by the law of the land they are living in. I also though gay people had the same rights (under uk law) as everyone else so why are they objecting to it? Surely teaching young children to treat others with respect (especially as it it does no harm to them) is living is a good thing. We're not teaching muslim children to be gay, only to not discriminate against them as they wouldn't like to be discriminated against themselves.
Original post by Rs5644
That was also like 1000 years ago.You can't really brag about something which happened 1000 years ago.If you haven't made any progress in 1000 years that doesn't really say much does it?

:rofl:

I'm not muslim, I just thought you might be interested.
Original post by Pinkisk
Tolerance - the idea of being intolerent towards intolerence.

What an oxymoron this word is.

No, but really this tolerance thing is basically code for accepting and not challenging the principles of leftists in society. It is nothing more than this. Tolerance does not include tolerance of ideas that contradict the principles of leftism. No, society does not tolerate such things.

People should be allowed to choose what their children are taught at schools. People should be allowed to criticise any practice they deem unacceptable. If you are not going to tolerate their beleifs then what right do you have to ask them to tolerate yours?

Beliefs don't get to be free from criticism.Anyone can change their beliefs.Nobody can change their skin colour or sexuality.When beliefs conflict with immutable characteristics it's the beliefs that should change.If you tolerate homophobia then you are yourselves intolerant.

I would argue that children should have a right to grow up free from indoctrination and this supersedes a parents right to teach their children.Nobody is making them go to that school though.If they really think being taught respect for others is so bad then they can go to a country more in line with their views.Iran perhaps? I hear a homosexual recently got hanged there? Perhaps that would be a suitable country?
Original post by Pinkisk
People should be allowed to choose what their children are taught at schools.

They can, the parents are well within their right to move their child to non state school or even home school if they so choose.

What they can't do is dictate what state institutes teach.
What they can't do is dictate what state institutes teach.

I don't think they are dictating anything. I beleive they are expressing their views and wanting to make change through protest, which is their democractic right. The problem so far as dictation is concerned is solely isolated to those who are not willing to tolerate their protest, wanting to dictate to them how their children should be taught and prevent them from challenging this in a democratic way.
Original post by Pinkisk
I don't think they are dictating anything. I beleive they are expressing their views and wanting to make change through protest, which is their democractic right. The problem so far as dictation is concerened solely restricted to those who willing to tolerate their protest.

They can protest all they like, but it isn't going to get an Ofsted approved equality programme removed from the school because they are homophobic.
They can protest all they like, but it isn't going to get an Ofsted approved equality programme removed from the school because they are homophobic.

That's very dismissive and intolerant. You need to become more tolerant of other people's life choices.
Original post by Pinkisk
That's very dismissive and intolerant. You need to become more tolerant.

I will never tolerant of the intolerant.

There is no good reason for the programme to be removed, can you give me one?
Original post by Pinkisk
That's very dismissive and intolerant. You need to become more tolerant of other people's life choices.

Not sure if you're trying to be ironic :confused:
Muslim parents should probably tell their kids outside the class that it is wrong to be gay if they feel that way, but one thing should also be clear, that they shouldn't do anything about it, as long as its not being imposed on you its still wrong but they shouldn't care, so it might be a good thing for gay equality lessons, so the Muslim parent don't completely ostracised them, and then the kids will go mouth off, it really depends on what the parents tell the kids
Original post by Pinkisk

Yes I agree.We have been awfully hasty.We should have welcomed the KKK with open arms.Afterall they only expressed their democratic view that black people were better as slaves.Perhaps even held a lynching or two.Who doesn't love a good lynching? It was terribly poor form to go rushing off to war with dear old Mr Hitler wasn't it? After all all he was trying to do was express his views that Jews were Untermensch.How nasty of us to deprive him of his free speech! We should totally be more tolerant.Maybe we should invite those dear friends of ours Isis.We can all have a party to throw gay people off roofs.Won't that be terribly fun?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending