Muslim parents protest against gay equality lessons Watch

fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by MoSaqib)
Lol this just shows what you think of us and our culture, and then you complain when we don’t respect your culture. Muslims don’t all live in ‘mud huts’ and plenty of that actually has to do with what your ancestors did back during the British/French empires.
you do respect our culture though - you just may not like it.

Going back to the past is useful. What happened in between 1750 and 1950? For 200 years the islamic world was subjicated by the power of western industrialisation. Since then, each islamic society has had two options: 1, adopt large parts of western culture and propser; 2, stick with traditionalism and fail.

Those that have embraced western culture - especially western economic and scientific lines of thinking have done incredibly well, whilst still retaining many aspects of their islamic faith/culture. Those that stayed with a 'pure' or 'traditional' islam do still live in countries that suffer with incredible levels of poverty, war and unrest.

Its not so much that western countries destroyed the islamic world and caused the problems out of malice/evil, its that western societies developed a more succesful way of organising societies and through it, they prospered, grew rich, and as was the norm back then, conquered.

The point is - islamic societies that are succesful, and islamic people within western countries do have a deep respect for western society. They know inside that it is a succesful and powerful model, and its born out in their actions. They want to live within the societies because the models function in a way that gives them a better life.. and witihn their own countries those that emulate western models do so because they see the success they bring first hand.

None of this means that you have to abandon islam and 100% convert to western ideals, far from it - but an understanding of the cold facts of how societal and political models have developed and interacted is useful. It allows religions and groups to develop.. keeping parts of their traditions alive, whilst also adapting to new developments to make them succesful and competative. The tendandcy within islam to reject other cultures advancements in favour of traditionalism is one of the cultures biggest barriers to progress internationally.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
With the issue in the OP

I am actually with the islamic oppinions in the OP on this.

Not the homaphobia stuff... but I agree 100% with the principle that sexuality should not be taught to young children. Its far to young, and parents should have the right to decide what they do or don't expose their children to.

Its easy to say 'well take them out of the school then!' - but in practise un-auothrised absense can lead to fines/punishment.. and changing schools is not always an option. If this is a national/regional policy, its likely to take place in all the state schools, except religious schools, and parents may not want their child in a religious school, so its much harder to avoid then you would think.
Abaddon rex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
We live in what is a pretty multicultural and tolerant society when compared to much of the world but we are no perfect no one is, by teaching children the values of tolerance we can help to remove intolerance from our society. That’s all intolerance racism, sexism, ageism, homophobia etc. It seems people who kick off the most complaining about being treated badly are often guilty of showing intolerance to other groups. If you want to live in an intolerant society then don’t live here, why leave an oppressive regime then try to recreate it in your new country?
Violet Femme
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Pinkisk)
Tolerance - the idea of being intolerent towards intolerence.

What an oxymoron this word is.

No, but really this tolerance thing is basically code for accepting and not challenging the principles of leftists in society. It is nothing more than this. Tolerance does not include tolerance of ideas that contradict the principles of leftism. No, society does not tolerate such things.

People should be allowed to choose what their children are taught at schools. People should be allowed to criticise any practice they deem unacceptable. If you are not going to tolerate their beleifs then what right do you have to ask them to tolerate yours?
This is satire, right?
Violet Femme
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Half of British Muslims believe homosexuality should be illegal.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ity-sharia-law

Such backwards views demonstrate why we need to teach children about homophobia and LGBT rights.
GodAtum
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I am in 2 minds about this. teaching kids about sexual orentation should be done when they do sex education (ie when they are old enough).
Decahedron
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
With the issue in the OP

I am actually with the islamic oppinions in the OP on this.

Not the homaphobia stuff... but I agree 100% with the principle that sexuality should not be taught to young children. Its far to young, and parents should have the right to decide what they do or don't expose their children to.
They aren't being taught about sexuality in such explicit terms, the scheme covers the Equality Act 2010 and all the reasons that some people may do different from you.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Decahedron)
They aren't being taught about sexuality in such explicit terms, the scheme covers the Equality Act 2010 and all the reasons that some people may do different from you.
do you have a link to the content of the program? I find it hard to believe that it wont be somewhat sexualised, and certainly highly political/baised.... but I could be wrong. Its hard to teach children about sexuality without it being somewhat sexualised.. and many of the recent developments in the concepts of diversity/gender/sex are highly political, and ones that are universally accepted or desired by parents.

I would rather schools stick to academic teaching, and leave morality and ideology to parents - that has traditionally been their respective domains, and I don't see any bennifit to changing that, and moving the morality/ideology from the parents to the schools, unless you want to force all children to conform to your way of thinking, and remove responsibility from parents.
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Teaching respect to children= very good
Teaching LGBT+ 'tolerance' to primary school kids= Very bad
Decahedron
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
do you have a link to the content of the program? I find it hard to believe that it wont be somewhat sexualised, and certainly highly political/baised.... but I could be wrong. Its hard to teach children about sexuality without it being somewhat sexualised.. and many of the recent developments in the concepts of diversity/gender/sex are highly political, and ones that are universally accepted or desired by parents.

I would rather schools stick to academic teaching, and leave morality and ideology to parents - that has traditionally been their respective domains, and I don't see any bennifit to changing that, and moving the morality/ideology from the parents to the schools, unless you want to force all children to conform to your way of thinking, and remove responsibility from parents.
You can buy it, but they do say what they cover.

Furthermore, the most recent Ofsted report make special mention of the scheme and they are incredibly positive about it.

It isn't teaching morality, it is teaching tolerance of people different to you, as is required by Ofsted as part of a full education. It all reduces bullying which I'm sure you can agree is a good thing.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Decahedron)
You can buy it, but they do say what they cover.

Furthermore, the most recent Ofsted report make special mention of the scheme and they are incredibly positive about it.

It isn't teaching morality, it is teaching tolerance of people different to you, as is required by Ofsted as part of a full education. It all reduces bullying which I'm sure you can agree is a good thing.
Thanks for the links - i'll have a look through what they actually do.

I agree with reducing bullying (as long as the reduction in bullying doesn't come at the expnense of something else.. for example I don't like anti-bullying implimentations that aim to reduce competition within classes, because the loss of competition is more costly to society then bullying).

I disagree with with the idea that tolerance is universal and not a manifestation of morality - I think the modern concepts of tolerance highly ideological and based around specific academic ideas, rather than simply being a general universal idea - but that's a debate that's not really for this thread.
Decahedron
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thanks for the links - i'll have a look through what they actually do.

I agree with reducing bullying (as long as the reduction in bullying doesn't come at the expnense of something else.. for example I don't like anti-bullying implimentations that aim to reduce competition within classes, because the loss of competition is more costly to society then bullying).

I disagree with with the idea that tolerance is universal and not a manifestation of morality - I think the modern concepts of tolerance highly ideological and based around specific academic ideas, rather than simply being a general universal idea - but that's a debate that's not really for this thread.
Neither tolerance or morality are universal both are very subjective. For instance the parents are now trying to get the teacher running the scheme fired because they disagree with teaching tolerance. That to me is highly immoral but to them it is perfectly reasonable.

Morality is not a primal human trait, it is taught and formed over a life time. If people only ever formed their morality from their parents we would never progress as a soceity, held down by dogmatic belief and intolerance.

Children can form their own opinions on things but teaching them the laws of the land such as the Equality Act 2010 should never be frowned upon.
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
There isn't even anything inherently "sexual" about teaching about the fact that ppl are in same sex relationships and that we should be tolerant as according to the Equality act 2010. If they can understand their parents are in a relationship, it shouldn't be so hard to grasp that ppl of the same sex are attracted to each other. The "no outsiders" programme was age appropriate and also included things like ppl with disabilities, interracial couples.
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by thestudent33)
But the thing is you can't be muslim and gay. You have to be one or the other
But thing is that your Qur'an does not say or teach any such thing does it. And also who appointed to judge who is a Muslim?

(Original post by Bio 7)
Almost 20 so I will stand by it. I’m tired of seeing hate for Non-straight people mostly spread by religious people because of their faith teaching them it. Unless people start to decide what they think about these things, rather than blindly follow religious teachings and not decide which parts hate people for no reason then I won’t be able to stop hating the faith excuse. Too many people back up their intolerance with faith and it just causes more harm, because there is no reason for it.
These things need to be challenged or the population would still be largely religious and we wouldn’t have moved forward as much as we have.
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
homeschooling is the way to go👍
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by FarhanHalim)
Lol the irony of this. “You must tolerate homosexuality, and go against your beliefs, or we will fail you and do our best to ruin your life” so tolerant lol
If you hate the U.K. teaching about homosexuals so much. Then leave the country... (not you personally)
Sharif92
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
As long as the parents make an effort to teach the children about their beliefs and inform them that not everything taught in school is true then they will be able to survive this sort of brainwashing unscathed.
Abaddon rex
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sharif92)
As long as the parents make an effort to teach the children about their beliefs and inform them that not everything taught in school is true then they will be able to survive this sort of brainwashing unscathed.
Brainwashing lol you mean actually teaching children to be nice to each other rather than hate each other that’s not brainwashing that’s enlightened thinking.
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
If you hate the U.K. teaching about homosexuals so much. Then leave the country... (not you personally)
Surveys suggest that Muslims like the British rule of law. It is not easy to find fairer laws than the ones in Britain
Decahedron
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sharif92)
How is it brainwashing when they are teaching British laws to children?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (39)
12.23%
Yes - a food allergy (36)
11.29%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (9)
2.82%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.82%
No (226)
70.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise