The Student Room Group

Female help and advice

I have currently been prescribed desogestrel (mini pill)

About a year and a half ago i was taking microgynon and experienced awful migraines and mood swings

Since then i have been out of relationships, and i have just gotten into a new relationship..... And just using condoms

I was wondering what the side effects you have experienced on desogestrel or any other forms of contraception
Thanks, L
X
Hello :-) ,

I've tried a few different things. I was put on the combined pill to try and control my endometriosis, but this gave me migraines with aura, and then with the mini pill I bled continuously and it made me depressive so I had to stop taking it. Currently using the mirena coil since neither of those suited me well. With the coil you get cramping andf bleeding for a while whilst it settles in, but the hormonal dose is a lot lower so I haven't had any other side effects and things are pretty smooth-sailing now. Personally I'd recommend against condoms as primary form of birth control as different people need different size condoms. For example, if it's too small for the person then it squeezes the blood out of the erection, making sex numb and uncomfortable for them and also increasing the risk of the condom pushing itself off or bursting. With a condom that is too large for the person it can slide off, again causing problems. If you don't like invasive birth control then the contraceptive ring releases much smaller doses of hormones and can be taken out by you at any time if it doesn't suit you, rather than you having to go to the doctor to have it removed like you would for a coil or implant. There's also contraceptive injections (can't comment on these as have never used them). In terms of contraception, my favourite is the caya diaphragm as it's non-hormonal and you can't feel it during intercourse, but birth control is a very personal choice so it's up to you. Good luck!
Reply 2
Thank you for your help and time writing this reply xx
I find mine pretty normal to be honest, not many side effects although thats probably not very helpful to you. This probably doesn't help much but I hope this works out for you!~
It's fine, I think it's important to share information about these things. GPs always encourage the coil and implant since they're so hard to get wrong, but I think what's most important that you choose the kind of birth control that's most conveinient for you, not your doctor or anyone else
Reply 5
That's good to know, any comment and contribution is appreciated i want opinions :smile:
Thank you for your comment xxx

Quick Reply

Latest