EU’s Donald Tusk says there is a special place in Hell for Brexiteers Watch

Sharif92
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-47143135

Quite unhelpful language from him, not sure how this will ease divisions or help us deliver Brexit. After all, people voted for Brexit, I didn’t, but we should deliver it. This sort of divisive statement is just going to reinforce the Brexiteers’ confidence in their decision to leave.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Nah, he said:

... special place in hell [for] those who promoted Brexit without even a sketch of a plan of how to carry it out safely.
So if you thoughtlessly chose Brexit, and in doing so without a plan caused chaos, you're someone who is morally condemned. I think that's sensible.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sharif92)

Quite unhelpful language from him, not sure how this will ease divisions or help us deliver Brexit. After all, people voted for Brexit, I didn’t, but we should deliver it. This sort of divisive statement is just going to reinforce the Brexiteers’ confidence in their decision to leave.
Some Breixteers have a plan, but people dont want to support the plan. That is the issue with this narrative.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago

You do realise what Notoriety said is the correct context of what was said and yours is misleading.
Brexit by all means, but to have no plan or to fail to cater for a smooth transition that causes minimal damage to this country is just vandalism.

Thats not to say Tusk, Varadker, Juncker et al havent been complete arses.
Last edited by 999tigger; 2 weeks ago
Violet Femme
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Tusk is absolutely correct. The architects of Brexit were either too lazy or not intellectually capable of devising a viable and detailed Brexit strategy. Instead they told their supporters Brexit would be a way of sticking it to the establishment. Sadly, too many people fell for their line. More than two years down the line and we still have not agreed on an exit strategy. You can understand why Europeans are losing their patience with British ineptitude.
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Violet Femme)
Tusk is absolutely correct. The architects of Brexit were either too lazy or not intellectually capable of devising a viable and detailed Brexit strategy. Instead they told their supporters Brexit would be a way of sticking it to the establishment. Sadly, too many people fell for their line. More than two years down the line and we still have not agreed on an exit strategy. You can understand why Europeans are losing their patience with British ineptitude.
Given that Cameron prohibited them from making plans, and a lot of the Brexit promoters weren't even in government, I don't see how this is their fault.

If I think it would be nice to go to Australia on holiday because it's really sunny and they like barbecues, but end up getting sunburn because I was prohibited from taking sunscreen, was I incorrect for thinking Australia's a good holiday destination? Cameron expected Brexit to fail so gave a 'false' choice to the public, but realised that Brexit had a chance so tried to make it as difficult as possible to campaign in favour. We got lies, sure, but anything said by anyone not in an executive position would have been baseless.
generallee
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Fascinating how Remainers support foreign EU aparatchniks (never elected by us, whom we cannot remove) who instead of negotiating with us in a constructive, collegial way insult the seveneen and half million Britons who voted to leave, by wishing them an enternity in hell.

I don't know if there will be a Second Referendum or not, but I wouldn't hold out much hope of you guys winning it if we do.

The EU doesn't exactly do itself any favours in attracting Britons to the Remain cause, does it? Vile nasty little jumped up bullies. If we vote again, let Donald Tusk know, HE belongs in hell.
turquoise_badger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

To be fair, he's probably sick of dealing with our **** for 2 and half years while being described as the reincarnation of Satan in the tabloids.
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Once again Germany has sown the seeds of destruction for all of Europe and themselves, they will now reap the whirlwind. Hell would be too kind for these people who have comitted crimes against humanity
generallee
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by turquoise_badger)
To be fair, he's probably sick of dealing with our **** for 2 and half years while being described as the reincarnation of Satan in the tabloids.
In what way has he been fair to us in these negotiations?

The whole exercise has been an attempt to punish us because the EU is so unpopular throughout Europe, Eurocrats like him are terrified of others wanting to leave too.

The whole Remain/EU case to stay has been based on the economic consequences of leaving. They offer nothing positive, nothing constructive, just hoping we go to hell.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The strategist was Dominic Cummings whose brief was to win at any cost. When asked what happens if we actually win... his reply was not my problem, you're the politicians... not me!
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Nah, he said:

So if you thoughtlessly chose Brexit, and in doing so without a plan caused chaos, you're someone who is morally condemned. I think that's sensible.
Nah, I voted remain and still think those comments are completely unhelpful.
generallee
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
You do realise what Notoriety said is the correct context of what was said and yours is misleading.
Brexit by all means, but to have no plan or to fail to cater for a smooth transition that causes minimal damage to this country is just vandalism.

Thats not to say Tusk, Varadker, Juncker et al havent been complete arses.
The Government and Civil Service has had two whole years to prepare for a possible no deal Brexit. Nothing was done a a deliberate policy.

If we leave without a deal that is on them, (especially Hammond and the Treasury), and the ridicuouls intransigence of the Ireland and the EU over the backstop, not Brexiteers.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Satan in tabloids... is that anything like the Devil in Prada?
turquoise_badger
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by generallee)
In what way has he been fair to us in these negotiations?

The whole exercise has been an attempt to punish us because the EU is so unpopular throughout Europe, Eurocrats like him are terrified of others wanting to leave too.

The whole Remain/EU case to stay has been based on the economic consequences of leaving. They offer nothing positive, nothing constructive, just hoping we go to hell.
Err...I'm not sure that's the case.

Tusk has made the rather reasonable request that we present an acceptable Brexit deal by the deadline. He (rightly) believes that a no-deal would be damaging for both the UK and the EU, and is frustrated that many politicians are considering no-deal as an alternative to May's deal.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don't know if there will be a Second Referendum or not, but I wouldn't hold out much hope of you guys winning it if we do.
I agree entirely... 'leave' already have a slogan and spread the seeds of discontent in preparation. Remain however are already two furlongs behind in the PR stakes. Come on guys... get your act together! The Brexit snake charmers are at it again.
Last edited by Vinny C; 2 weeks ago
generallee
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Chief Wiggum)
Nah, I voted remain and still think those comments are completely unhelpful.
They indicate the moral and intellectual calibre of our EU masters, "Statesmen" (sic) like Tusk and Jean Claude Drunker.

For God's sake our own politicans are morally bankrupt and incompetent enough, but at least we can vote them out and get new ones. If we stay we stuck with these nastly little cockwombles. Unless Remainers can tell me how we get rid of them?
generallee
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Err...I'm not sure that's the case.

Tusk has made the rather reasonable request that we present an acceptable Brexit deal by the deadline. He (rightly) believes that a no-deal would be damaging for both the UK and the EU, and is frustrated that many politicians are considering no-deal as an alternative to May's deal.
Typical Remainer. The EU have completely screwed us over (I don't blame THEM for that, that was their job in this negotiation) and you guys support their interests over ours.

You are a traitor to your own country and don't even realise it do you? The British public will though, if there is a second referedum.

Supporting foreigners over your own country is not a good look if you want to win your "People's Vote." Just a hint a to your future tactics.

Remainers have learnt nothing. Nothing.
turquoise_badger
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Typical Remainer. The EU have completely screwed us over (I don't blame THEM for that, that was their job in this negotiation) and you guys support their interests over ours.

You are a traitor to your own country and don't even realise it do you? The British public will though, if there is a second referedum.

Supporting foreigners over your own country is not a good look if you want to win your "People's Vote." Just a hint a to your future tactics.

Remainers have learnt nothing. Nothing.
Thank you so much for letting me know I am a traitor. I will turn myself over to law enforcement officials with a written testimony of my crimes as soon as possible.

Now, to briefly return to the world of reality, I'm a little confused. To support remain isn't to prefer Johnny Foreigner over the UK. Given that we'd be economically worse off if we left via no-deal, surely to support remain means ensuring a better quality of life for UK citizens?

Aren't you the-ahem-"traitors" for supporting a course of action which will lead to economic downturn?
DSutch
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Wrong choice of words, but he is right to criticise those Brexiteers who have or had no plan. Though if there is a hell I would have sympathy for those having to share it with Boris Johnson at some point in the future.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (95)
14.8%
Yes - a food allergy (69)
10.75%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (16)
2.49%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (17)
2.65%
No (445)
69.31%

Watched Threads