Mental Health and University Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
For pretty much my entire life, I’ve had to live with severe anxiety and depression- which about a year ago was formally diagnosed.

I’m now in my second year of uni and I’ve gotten to the point where I feel like I just can’t do it anymore. Last year I was put on a waiting list for counselling... and months later I’m still waiting.
I’m living hours away from home, I barely talk to anyone all day, I haven’t done any uni work for weeks. I find myself mostly sleeping and laying on my bed all day doing nothing at all, because I don’t have the energy or will do do anything. Making things to eat feels like the biggest task.

The two years I’ve been at university, my
attendance was poor. I did the bare minimum to pass and I’ve completely lost the passion to do my course.
Over the past few months I’ve been contemplating whether or not to continue with my uni course, but I have no clue what I’m going to do if I quit.
I’m so exhausted and I’m two minds of what to do, so I’d really appreciate any suggestions or advice.
mr_carrot
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
For pretty much my entire life, I’ve had to live with severe anxiety and depression- which about a year ago was formally diagnosed.

I’m now in my second year of uni and I’ve gotten to the point where I feel like I just can’t do it anymore. Last year I was put on a waiting list for counselling... and months later I’m still waiting.
I’m living hours away from home, I barely talk to anyone all day, I haven’t done any uni work for weeks. I find myself mostly sleeping and laying on my bed all day doing nothing at all, because I don’t have the energy or will do do anything. Making things to eat feels like the biggest task.

The two years I’ve been at university, my
attendance was poor. I did the bare minimum to pass and I’ve completely lost the passion to do my course.
Over the past few months I’ve been contemplating whether or not to continue with my uni course, but I have no clue what I’m going to do if I quit.
I’m so exhausted and I’m two minds of what to do, so I’d really appreciate any suggestions or advice.
Hello

I just want to say that you're not alone - I also struggled with mental health issues when I was at university so please don't feel like it's 'you'. Have you considered suspending your studies? The precise name can vary (at mine it's 'Authorised Interruption of Study') which would allow you to suspend your course and return at a later date (e.g. the start of the next academic year). Perhaps some time off to rest might help - maybe to consider if transferring course/university would help at all (is it the wrong place for you? I was at a large city uni which I found really isolating and lonely)

Perhaps throwing yourself into something (like a society which interests you) might also help you feel better if you'd prefer to stay at your current university, I know it's really difficult but it will help you feel less lonely, which will make you feel so much better!

I had CBT which really helped; medication didn't, so I stopped taking them entirely. I'm currently on a suspension having completed CBT and I'm feeling so much happier, I'm going to a new university which will suit me a lot more (and a better course). It isn't always easy going back home though, however your degree is really important for your future and right now you won't be able to do the best you can do.

Have you tried the university's counselling service? You shouldn't be on a waiting list for that long - I waited about four to six weeks if I remember rightly.

Hope this might help somewhat; wish you all the best - it will get better! Sorry if my advice isn't that good . . .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (216)
60.17%
No (143)
39.83%

Watched Threads