nakash
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi! I’m a year 12 student currently studying English Literature, French and Chemistry at A Level. I am looking to apply for the French and Arabic course at Oxford University as one of my choices.

I’m looking for advice from any Oxbridge modern languages students about the OLAT/MLAT admissions tests, work experience, personal statements and any experience or asset I could gain to aid my application. If you also have information about what life is like as a modern foreign language student at Oxbridge then this would also be really appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Nadia
whateew
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey! Good luck with that, it sounds like a really nice course.

There's already a thread up about the modern languages personal statement stuff, i recommend you go there for advice on it.

When it comes to the entrance exams, the advice at my school was that the MLAT is easier than the OLAT, at least in regards to the french side - the MLAT has question types that repeat often, but the OLAT requires more advanced writing. You can find examples online though, so you can choose your preferred one for yourself. Don't be daunted if you don't know certain tenses already, you can revise and practice with your french teacher on it. My %s when i started the MLAT were around 40% but I managed to hit 80% on my last practice before the exams.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads