V1445 – Abortion Equality Bill 2019 (Second Reading)

Watch
Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many as are of the opinion, aye (15)
31.25%
Of the contrary, no (25)
52.08%
Abstain (8)
16.67%
This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
V1445 – Abortion Equality Bill 2019 (Second Reading), Joep95 MP, Connor27 MP
Image[/

A
bill
to
give fathers equal opportunity to abort parental rights before a child is born.

1. Definitions
(1) Father is the biological male parent.
(2) Mother is the biological female parent.
(3) The abortion deadline is as defined in the Abortion Act 1967 S.1(1)(a)

2. Legal abortion
(1) A father can permanently abort all parental rights and responsibilities to a child-
(A) up to 1 week before the abortion deadline; or
(B) up to 2 weeks after the father discovers about the pregnancy if the mother knew about the pregnancy 1 week before the abortion deadline; or
(C) at any point during the pregnancy with the mothers consent.

3. Process
(1) To abort all parental rights and responsibilities a father must communicate that they intend to by
(a) sending a letter by recorded delivery that has been certified by their solicitor to the mother, and
(b) completing a form which must be submitted to the Registry Office
(2) The message must to clearly state "I am aborting all parental rights and responsibilities to the child you are currently pregnant with"

4. Exemptions
(1) Anyone found guilty of rape may not abort their responsibilities and will remain liable to all financial costs
(2) Anyone found guilty of any form of domestic abuse may not abort their responsibilities and will remain liable to all financial costs

5. Extent, commencement, and short title
(1) This Act does not extend to Northern Ireland.
(2) This Act comes into force on the day on which it is passed.
(3) This Act may be cited as the Abortion equality bill 2019

Notes
Let's do something to reduce legal inequality.

Since 1976 a right has existed for just one group of people and but not another, how in a society where people claim to support equality can this be accepted?

Changes:
Exemption section added
Abortion deadline defined
Added completion of form
TheRadishPrince
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I want to support this bill as it does make some great adjustments however one part is currently preventing me from supporting this.
It specifically states a father can renounce his parental rights "up to one week before the abortion deadline". I feel like this wouldn't give much time for the woman to decide on if she wants an abortion after discovering she will be a single mother with no support, especially as time arranging the abortion comes into play as well giving her less deciding time.

I feel like I'd definitely support this bill if one of two alterations were made to the 1 week part:
1) If a father has renounced rights close to the deadline, the woman has an extra week to decide on the abortion (my least preferred change as it raises alot of unnecessary pro life or pro choice debate by allowing later abortions)
2) You must rescind your parental rights as a father 2 to 3 weeks before the abortion deadline (rather than 1) barring if you found out too late to make this decision of course.
Last edited by TheRadishPrince; 1 year ago
Elizabeth II
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You made the child, own the consequences and step up to the mark. A strong no from me.
Joep95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Paracosm)
You made the child, own the consequences and step up to the mark. A strong no from me.
Good to see you supporting the repeal of the abortion act.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nay.

Although I see your logic this bill creates perverse incentives, I also feel a superior solution is to require parental consent over maternal. This bill may actually increase abortion rates.
Jammy Duel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Joep95)
Good to see you supporting the repeal of the abortion act.
Write the repeal and throw them on as a seconder, see how long they continue to hold that view.
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hmm, one can hardly argue with the logic here. If the woman can decide to have an abortion, the man should be able to abort all parental rights and responsibilities as this bill puts it, especially in cases where the woman is mad and puctures the condom, lies about taking contraception, etc. Therefore it's an aye from me and I commend the authors for addressing this issue. As long as women have the option to abort their pregnancy, there is no reason to deny men the right to cut all ties and avoid responsibility.
ns_2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This Bill enables much needed legal clarity. Aye.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
One postal Aye has been added for seat 19 (Dafios9128).
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The Ayes to the right: 15
The Noes to the left: 25
Abstentions: 8

The Noes have it! The Noes have it! Unlock!

Turnout: 96%
Last edited by CatusStarbright; 1 year ago
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads