V1449 – Licensing of Drivers Bill 2019 (Second Reading) Watch

Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many as are of the opinion, aye (22)
47.83%
Of the contrary, no (19)
41.3%
Abstain (5)
10.87%
This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
V1449 – Licensing of Drivers Bill 2019 (Second Reading), TSR Government
A
BILL
TO

fortify the provisions surrounding the licensing of drivers, notably surrounding the validity of licenses, the procedure for the renewal of licenses and the declaration of medical conditions whilst in possession a license

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's Most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1(X)Definitions
(X) (1) a ‘driving license’ shall refer to documentation issued by the relevant authority, as defined, that, subject to the Road Traffic Act 1988, authorises the holder to operate and otherwise drive motor vehicles on public roads.
(X) (2) the ‘relevant authority’ shall refer to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) or equivalent.
(X) (3) the ‘administrative validity period’ shall refer to the duration from the date of issue for which a driving license remains valid, barring disqualification, suspension or revocation.
(X) (4) an ‘age of maturity’ shall refer to the age of fifty years.
(X) (5) a ‘benchmark age’ shall refer to the ages of sixty years, sixty-five years, seventy years and every three years thereafter.
(X) (6) a ‘Statement of Possession’ shall refer to a document as issued by the relevant authority authorising the holder of a driving license to continue to exercise the authorisation to operate a motor vehicle on public roads whilst his license is in possession of said relevant authority.
(X) (7) a ‘medical statement’ shall refer to a document as issued by a general practitioner registered with the General Medical Council detailing the professional judgement of the general practitioner in the holder’s medical ability to safely operate a motor vehicle, especially at high speed.
(X) (X) (a) to be ‘verified and valid’, the document must bear the signature of the general practitioner, the stamp of the practice, a date in the last thirty days, a measurement of the holder’s systolic and diastolic blood pressure recorded in the last thirty days, a list of the medical conditions of the holder, a list of the medications prescribed to the holder, the date of the last full medical examination, details concerning any short-term illness in the last six months which may impair driving ability and any other concerns or information that the general practitioner deems pertinent.
(X) (8) the ‘validity process’, ‘maturity process’, ‘appearance process’, ‘impairment process’, and the ‘deterioration process’ shall be defined as within the stipulations of this Bill.

2(X)Requirement to hold license
(1) There shall be no change to the provisions of the Road Traffic Act 1988 insofar as affecting the ‘requirement to hold license’ to operate a motor vehicle in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

3(X)Administrative validity period
(1) The ‘administrative validity period’ for all standard driving licenses shall be as follows:-
(X) (a) where the holder has not yet reached the age of sixty years, ten years;
(X) (b) where the holder has not yet reached the age of seventy years but has surpassed the age of sixty years, five years;
(X) (c) where the holder has surpassed the age of seventy years, three years.
(2) Where the ‘administrative validity period’ as defined in this Bill does not match that on the driving license, whichever is shortest shall apply.

4(X)Requirement to renew
(1) Holders who wish to continue to operate a motor vehicle under the terms of the Road Traffic Act 1988 must contact the relevant authority when:-
(X) (a) the administrative validity period has lapsed;
(X) (b) the holder reaches the ‘age of maturity’ or a new ‘benchmark age’;
(X) (c) there is a significant change in appearance such that it may no longer be possible to confidently identify the holder from the picture on the driving license;
(X) (d) there is a significant change in the medical situation of the holder such that their driving ability may be adversely impaired;
(X) (e) the holder has failed to operate a motor vehicle in the United Kingdom of Great Britain, the European Union or European Economic Area for a continuous period exceeding fifteen years.

5(X)General renewals
(1) Where the administrative validity period has lapsed and the holder has not reached the age of maturity or a benchmark age (“the validity process”),
(X) (a) the holder shall hereby be required to report to the relevant authority providing identification documentation, the driving license and the relevant fees;
(X) (b) the holder, upon reporting to the relevant authority, shall receive a ‘Statement of Possession’.
(2) Where the holder has reached the age of maturity but has yet to reach a benchmark age, or has reached a new benchmark age (“the maturity process”),
(X) (a) the holder shall hereby be required to report to the relevant authority providing identification documentation, the driving license and the relevant fees;
(X) (b) the holder must also provide a verified and valid medical statement from his general practitioner.
(X) (c) the holder, upon reporting to the relevant authority and providing a verified and valid medical statement, shall receive a ‘Statement of Possession’.
(X) (X) (i) where internal checks and liasioning with the general practitioner by the relevant authority prove the medical statement to be invalid, or where there is reasonable doubt concerning the legitimacy of the medical statement, the relevant authority retains the right to withhold the provision of a ‘Statement of Possession’ and where necessary revoke an existing one.
(3) The holder may, at their discretion, seek to undergo the relevant process upto six months prior to the required date; under these circumstances and upon the renewal of the driving license, the administrative validity period shall restart with upto six months being carried over.

6(X)Extraordinary renewals
(1) Where a significant change in appearance has occurred such that it may no longer be possible to confidently identify the holder from the picture on the driving license (“the appearance process”),
(X) (b) the holder is also required to provide photographs countersigned by an independent professional and in accordance with standard countersigning procedure as part of the application for a passport.
(X) (c) the holder, upon reporting to the relevant authority, shall receive a ‘Statement of Possession’.
(2) Where there has been a significant change in the medical situation of the holder such that their driving ability may be adversely impaired (“the impairment process”),
(X) (a) the holder shall be required to notify the relevant authority of said change, after which the relevant authority may instruct the holder to undergo the relevant tests for the provision of a license entitlement.
(X) (b) the holder must follow the advice of his general practitioner or medical professional in whether he should continue to drive.
(3) Where the holder has failed to operate a motor vehicle in the United Kingdom of Great Britain, the European Union or European Economic Area for a continuous period exceeding fifteen years (“deterioration process”),
(X) (a) the holder must forfeit his license to the relevant authority.
(X) (b) if the holder wishes to continue to drive, they will be required to complete the relevant tests for the provision of a license entitlement.

7(X)Failure to renew
(1) For the purposes of s. 103 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, if the holder of a license fails to comply with the provisions of this Bill, he is to be treated as ‘disqualified’.
(2) Upon successful renewal, he is no longer ‘disqualified’ such that s. 103(2) shall no longer apply.
(3) To that end, a holder who fails to comply with the provisions of this Bill may be subject to penalties up to scale level 5 of standard scale.

8(X)Extent
(1) Where there exist conflicts, the licensing arrangements of this Bill shall take precedence over the provisions of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and all associated secondary legislation.

9(X)Citation and Commencement:
(1) This act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
(2) This act will come into force on the 2nd of January 2020.
(3) This act may be cited as the Licensing of Drivers Bill 2019

Notes
The licensing arrangements of the United Kingdom are far too lax in terms of age and ability; the onus remains on the driver to report any changes in their circumstances to the relevant authority, and there exists no need for medical statements at the point of renewal - a phenomenon adopted with success in Continental Europe.

To that end, this Bill adapts the licensing provisions of the United Kingdom for the modern age:

In terms of validity:
(X) - licenses remain valid for 10 years upto the age of 60;
(X) - from 60, licenses only remain valid for 5 years;
(X) - from 70, licenses only remain valid for 3 years;

In terms of renewal procedure:
(X) - from 50, a medical statement becomes required;

Other slight changes include;
(X) - provisions for a change in appearance;
(X) - provisions for the loss of license through non-usage

Second Reading changes
Following constructive comments from the House, the following changes have been made:
(X) - the ‘benchmarking’ process has been removed in full
(X) - issues with numbering have been corrected

Division changes
The notes have been corrected as to reflected the 2nd reading change of the removal for the full re-testing of the elderly.

Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Nay, this remains a solution looking for a problem, except now it isn't even a solution rather mere administrative burden.
Last edited by Jammy Duel; 5 months ago
TheRadishPrince
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Nay, I feel like this simply takes something that works well enough as a system and tries to make it more complicated for both drivers and workers alike to manage, just to achieve very little in the end.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Aye.
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Aye; we cannot allow the whim of drivers to dictate whether they ought to be allowed to continue to drive.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ns_2)
Aye; we cannot allow the whim of drivers to dictate whether they ought to be allowed to continue to drive.
We should instead place additional burden on the NHS by getting a doctor to sign the piece of paper instead of the individual. First you went after the young and female by increasing their taxes, now you go after the old, what will you do next to target the middle aged man?
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
We should instead place additional burden on the NHS by getting a doctor to sign the piece of paper instead of the individual. First you went after the young and female by increasing their taxes, now you go after the old, what will you do next to target the middle aged man?
The safety and integrity of our licensing system is paramount; if there is a possibility that lives can be saved, this is something that we must do.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ns_2)
The safety and integrity of our licensing system is paramount; if there is a possibility that lives can be saved, this is something that we must do.
However this is not achieved by targeting the group of drivers that has the least accidents per capita and many of whom are dependent on being able to drive for their independence. I suggested that you increase the minimum age to at least 21, a policy that is 100% guaranteed to be at least twice as effective as this and in reality and order of magnitude or more more effective, but that appears to be going nowhere.
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
However this is not achieved by targeting the group of drivers that has the least accidents per capita and many of whom are dependent on being able to drive for their independence. I suggested that you increase the minimum age to at least 21, a policy that is 100% guaranteed to be at least twice as effective as this and in reality and order of magnitude or more more effective, but that appears to be going nowhere.
As discussed during the first reading, an increase to the minimum age is something that, I agree, would increase security - however, I feel 21 is too high. '18', thus bringing us in line with our European counterparts, would be more approriate in my eyes.

To that end, a more vigrous testing scheme may be more suitable: i.e. requiring new drivers to have a certain amounts of hours, or a test, in adverse weather or at night; or even potentially requiring drivers to undergo certain elements of the racing license - as to understand how to rescue a car at high speed etc.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ns_2)
As discussed during the first reading, an increase to the minimum age is something that, I agree, would increase security - however, I feel 21 is too high. '18', thus bringing us in line with our European counterparts, would be more approriate in my eyes.

To that end, a more vigrous testing scheme may be more suitable: i.e. requiring new drivers to have a certain amounts of hours, or a test, in adverse weather or at night; or even potentially requiring drivers to undergo certain elements of the racing license - as to understand how to rescue a car at high speed etc.
And no matter how many of things you propose to be rejected by this house it remains the case that nothing has happend yet and this bill does little but target the safest driving demographic on the basis of age
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
One postal No has been added for seat 19 (Dafios9128).
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
The Ayes to the right: 22
The Noes to the left: 19
Abstentions: 5

The Ayes have it! The Ayes have it! Unlock!

Turnout: 92%
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (156)
17.69%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.62%
No I am happy with my course choice (523)
59.3%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.4%

Watched Threads