Choosing USA Advanced Placement courses for U.K. universities.

Watch
samofcoding
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm a Brit, living in France, who is moving to the US after finshing my GCSEs in June. I'm currently choosing which AP courses to take. I am hoping to be able to get into a very good university, such as Cambridge or Imperial, in Natural Sciences. After looking at the AP courses offered by the school, I have concluded that I need to take 5 each year. These would include -

• French (1)
  • Physics C - Electricity and Magnetism
  • Physics C - Mechanics
  • Calculus BC
  • Chemistry
  • Computer Science Principles
  • Physics Algebra Based 1 (1)
  • Computer Science A (1)
  • Physics Algebra Based 2 (1)
  • Statistics (1)

What are your opinions on these choices? Are all my assumptions correct? and are there any reccomendations for which order to take the courses in? I am currently considering first taking the subjects marked (1).

sorry if I posted this in the wrong place...
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Have you looked at the Cambridge and imperial websites? They’ll list how many and which APs they prefer.
samofcoding
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Have you looked at the Cambridge and imperial websites? They’ll list how many and which APs they prefer.
I have. They require a typical 5 Grade 5s in AP tests. They also prefer both physics C courses, and Calculus BC. Just wanted to get the internet's opinion.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by samofcoding)
I have. They require a typical 5 Grade 5s in AP tests. They also prefer both physics C courses, and Calculus BC. Just wanted to get the internet's opinion.
If they’re asking for 5 then why are you planning to take 10?
samofcoding
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)

(Original post by PQ)
If they’re asking for 5 then why are you planning to take 10?
"require"...
Most of the schools I'm applying for offer between 3 and 6 AP classes a year. As Cambridge need a high level of attainment, I thought that I might take more of the tests, as the American system is far behind the current UK system.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (45)
15.15%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (95)
31.99%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (37)
12.46%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.75%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.72%
I think it's an unfair expectation (74)
24.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.01%

Watched Threads