The Student Room Group

Cannot pass the qts maths!!!!

I have failed the QTS numeracy test again this evening for what feels like the 30th time!!

I have been trying to pass it since 2015! But I just fail every time. Tonight was by 3 marks.

I am currently on a one year contract as a unqualified English teacher but if I don’t pass it by July then I will not be able to train in my currrent host school.

I have had tutors, bought the DVD’s, read the books, sat oractice tests, revised, downloaded the app, Skyped with tutors and friends, lived and breathed maths, went to night classes at college, been to the doctor and had CBT and been put in tablets, been allowed 25% time in the test, tried time myself to help with the mental arithmetic etc. But I still cannot pass.

I have as of this year been accepted on to 5 PGCE salaried courses and every year for the past 4 years come 31at August I have had to decline my offer as I cannot pass the maths skills test to gain entry on the course.

It is holding me back now for fulfilling my dream and progressing into a career and moving my life forward.

I am trying my best but my best simply isn’t good enough.

I have spent so much money on tests, tutors, revision packs and apps etc. I have deadicated so much time to revising and practicing over and over and over and over and over and I am still not quick enough for the mental section or can cope with the test.

The constant failure is so demoralising and disheartening now it’s really affecting my confidence, self esteem and how I view myself.

I am surrounding daily by people who have and can pass it and I cannot not. I feel so different and that I am the only one in this constant black hole of failure over and over again and I cannot break through to succeed.

I am desperate to pass, would sell my soul to the devil himself at this stage but cannot seem to do it.

I am going to walk away from teaching entirely come July 2019 as I cannot financially or emotionally or for my mental health continue to put myself through these tests as it’s being destroying me now.

Can anything think of genuine suggestions to help me break through or has anyone been in a somewhat similar scenario and made it through?

I don’t want sympthay or pity, I just want to pass so I never have to look or think about this test ever again and become a teacher.

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

What are you currently scoring on the practice papers?

Have you identified which areas you are struggling with e.g. fractions, decimals, percentages, particular graphs, conversions etc.?

Are you confident with your times tables? If not, learn then off by heart. You need to be able to recognise that a number that is dviisible by another number and that only comes by knowing your times tables. e.g. 48 is divisible by 6, 49/70 is the same as 7/10s which is 0.7 and 70% etc.
I'd say practice, mark yourself, see where you're going wrong, but don't overwhelm yourself. Sometimes unis that you apply to PGCEs for will run booster sessions to help you pass your QTS tests, so I would maybe get in contact with them and ask?
Reply 3
Hi thank you for your replies. I normally fail the test by 3 marks in actual test. And my highest ever score on a practice test is 57% only this week. Until then from 2015-2019 my highest practice test score was 28%. I have learned my timestables but I still wouldn’t be able to see that 49/70 is 0.7 as in my head that just feels like it is going grey and foggy and I can’t see it. Then with the added countdown timer on the test I just crumble and can’t find the answer. I have been to the uni booster sessions before and they didn’t help. It was just a room full of people who knew the answers and I didn’t. I couldn’t keep up with the pace and found it to be of no help whatsoever. I am currently going to my local college for GCSE maths night classes as a way of bumping up my maths knowledge and to help me. I’ve been going there now since 2015 as well but nothing seems to help me. I am getting tested next week for dyscalculia as my friend is convinced I have it and maybe dyspraxia. As I feel that I suffering from some illness where I can’t retain information or process it and maths is all about problem solving and that I suffer with. Thank you so much for your replies, I really appreciate it.
Reply 4
Hi,

Sorry to hear that you're in that situation. It certainly sounds like you've got so much passion for teaching and that'd you'd make a great teacher!

I absolutely love teaching too and I'm starting teacher training in September (I passed both QTS tests first time). It sounds like you've tried so many things that I'm not too sure what to suggest though I'd be more than happy to go through a maths practice paper with you through dm if you'd like to give it a shot? We could go through question by question and work out where it is that you go wrong if you'd like?

You're probably aware of the online practice papers on www.practice.skillstestbooking.com but thought I'd mention it on here just in case you're not, as I personally found them really useful 😊

Wishing you all the best 😊
Original post by kmatthewd89
It is holding me back now for fulfilling my dream and progressing into a career and moving my life forward.

I don't want to sound harsh, but is this constant failure perhaps telling you something? It is worth noting that every teacher is a teacher of English and Mathermatics in the UK school system hence the requirement for maths and English. Many of the kids in my school including those targetted 3s and 4s hold unrealistic dreams of being doctors and lawyers. There is nothing wrong with failure and failing. But sometimes it is necessary to accept that we simply can't jump over the wall in front of us and instead focus our efforts and energy on something we can achieve.

Just a thought. Good luck!
Hi thank you for your replies. I normally fail the test by 3 marks in actual test. And my highest ever score on a practice test is 57% only this week. Until then from 2015-2019 my highest practice test score was 28%. I have learned my timestables but I still wouldn’t be able to see that 49/70 is 0.7 as in my head that just feels like it is going grey and foggy and I can’t see it. Then with the added countdown timer on the test I just crumble and can’t find the answer. I have been to the uni booster sessions before and they didn’t help. It was just a room full of people who knew the answers and I didn’t. I couldn’t keep up with the pace and found it to be of no help whatsoever. I am currently going to my local college for GCSE maths night classes as a way of bumping up my maths knowledge and to help me. I’ve been going there now since 2015 as well but nothing seems to help me. I am getting tested next week for dyscalculia as my friend is convinced I have it and maybe dyspraxia. As I feel that I suffering from some illness where I can’t retain information or process it and maths is all about problem solving and that I suffer with. Thank you so much for your replies, I really appreciate it.

Hi,

3 marks a way is very good. You don't have too much further to go before you can pass.

However, I would suggest you focus on the following which will all help you:

1. Practice your times tables. If you cannot reduce the fraction, 49 / 70, it is because you don't know your times tables well enough. Keep working on them. You need to be able to answer quickly what each multiplication is e.g. 6 x 8 = 48, 7x 7 =49. and recognise what number they go into. So, for 49/70 both can be divided by 7. This makes the fraction 7/10 which is 70%. In the actual test, write down during the practice question the times tables that you find harder (I wrote down 7s and 8s as these tend to come up a lot).

2. Learn conversions. There's no easy way of doing it but learn what the decimals and percentages are for 1/5, 2/5, 3/5 etc.
So, 1/5 is 20% which is 0.2, 2/5 is 40% which is 0.4 etc. Also, know how to covert Km into miles.

3. Identify what types of questions you are struggling with and practice these until you are confident. So, you've said you struggle with 49/70. This suggests that fractions are not your friend so, practice different fraction questions (they don't all have to be with the timer as you will get quicker the more you practice.

With the mental arithmatic section, you only have to answer about 2 questions correctly (although they might be a slight variation, it is not very many). If the timer is really causing you to panic, focus on getting the graphs section and calculator section completely correct.

My uni gave some words of advice which I'd like to pass on to you. These tests are completely within anyones capability to pass (you wouldn't have reached where you are now if you couldn't pass them) and not passing them doesn't mean you won't be a great teacher. You can do this!
Reply 7
Hi thank you so much.

I would most definitely appreciate and love so help in regards to the QTS maths. Thank you very much for your lovely offer.

I struggle with many aspects of the test including the mental maths section and the graphs as maths for me is just so difficult and a subject that I cannot get to grips with.

So any help I would really appreciate.
Reply 8
Hi

Thank you for your reply.

I am okay with the fact that 3/5 is 60% is 0.6 etc. Conversions I have no grasp on or clue - I can’t get my head around the whole 5miles is 8km and then how that fits into a money question etc.

With maths for me, I can’t find the logic to the questions. I can’t see the order in which they need solved. I just see too many numbers and feel overwhelmed and not know what to put with what in order to try find some answer. I do struggle so much. I feel I may never be able to pass it.

Thank you for the kind words. I know I am by no means a bad teacher. I have 6yrs experience working with secondary school children and in that space of time I have built up a real wealth and understanding nevermind relationships with young people. I am a good teacher and this one 48min test is my mount everst that’s preventing me from having my dream career and finally getting my foot in the door in terms of teaching after all these years!

I can but pray at this stage and keep sitting the test.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Reply 9
No not harsh at all.

A reality that I have often told myself. Nowadays daily, that infact maybe I simply not cut out to teach secondary school English due to my constant failure of a QTS numeracy test.

And at this moment in time I do feel it will be the reason I stop following my dream and settle for a job within something I have no real passion for.

That is something I am very willing to surrender too as time goes by.
Hey, I'm sorry to hear how much you're struggling :frown:

I'm not a teacher but I did study Maths at Bristol uni and got a first. I've done a fair amount of tutoring as well so if I can be of any assistance feel free to message me. I can happily look through any questions and hopefully explain what to do in a way that you can fully understand and apply to other problems.

In terms of general advice I would definitely say before going to bed go through one set of times tables (eg 6x1 all the way up to 6x12 or 6x15 if you want a challenge), and then repeat th following night with another number. To turn fractions into decimals it will really help you to be able to instantly recognise that, say, 36=6x6.

Best of luck to you, and please do send me a message if you need any help :smile:
Try using GA Numerical on youtube. He explains the mental maths and calculator section questions really nicely, and gives lots of tips. There are dozens of free walkthrough videos too, which is generous!

I would keep going, book as many tests as you can because now they have lifted the 2 year ban or whatever it was, you can just keep trying until you pass. Three marks away is close - so definitely don't give up here.

I personally think it's a complete cash cow - it isn't to ensure standards because the majority of teachers will never need to explain any numerical point to their students - least of all English teachers. :wink:

Good luck, you can do it!
It sounds like you aren’t far away at all, with failing by two marks. It sounds like you’ve made a huge amount of progress. Please don’t forget that.
Tbh I think it’s more about your mind set, you have to absolutely believe that you can do it.
I’ve always struggled with maths, I was told at high school that there was no point in me doing the intermediate paper and I would have to do foundation where the highest grade was a D. I got an E and just forgot about maths for years. Did a BTEC, then did a degree. Then started on my maths again, struggled so much but upgraded to a D, went for a resit and got a D again, did two equivalency tests and was 5% and 12% off a pass respectively. I finally passed GCSE maths last year, 22 years after the first attempt.
The difference? I totally changed my mindset, I came to enjoy maths and I worked my socks off. When it came to the numeracy test I passed third time. I know it’s a cliche but if I can do it anyone can. Keep going, keep positive, keep going over everything, make it an “I can” rather than an “I can’t”. Seriously, I know how you feel, Maths was my Achilles heel but now that’s changed and it’s such a relief.
Original post by Claudette
It sounds like you aren’t far away at all, with failing by two marks. It sounds like you’ve made a huge amount of progress. Please don’t forget that.
Tbh I think it’s more about your mind set, you have to absolutely believe that you can do it.
I’ve always struggled with maths, I was told at high school that there was no point in me doing the intermediate paper and I would have to do foundation where the highest grade was a D. I got an E and just forgot about maths for years. Did a BTEC, then did a degree. Then started on my maths again, struggled so much but upgraded to a D, went for a resit and got a D again, did two equivalency tests and was 5% and 12% off a pass respectively. I finally passed GCSE maths last year, 22 years after the first attempt.
The difference? I totally changed my mindset, I came to enjoy maths and I worked my socks off. When it came to the numeracy test I passed third time. I know it’s a cliche but if I can do it anyone can. Keep going, keep positive, keep going over everything, make it an “I can” rather than an “I can’t”. Seriously, I know how you feel, Maths was my Achilles heel but now that’s changed and it’s such a relief.

Nice post.
Original post by Mr M
Nice post.

Thank you so much for replying and outlining your struggles and how you have overcome these. This is a really brave thing for you to admit to and what an achievement for you to finally of broken through and got where you wanted to go!

I an contiuing to revise and plod away with the maths practice tests. And I have also been affected for a pgce at a university in Northern Ireland, where you do not need to sit the QTS skills tests in order to teacher train so if I get accepted then I will go there and leave Liverpool in order to become a teacher!
Thank you so much for replying and outlining your struggles and how you have overcome these. This is a really brave thing for you to admit to and what an achievement for you to finally of broken through and got where you wanted to go!

I an contiuing to revise and plod away with the maths practice tests. And I have also been affected for a pgce at a university in Northern Ireland, where you do not need to sit the QTS skills tests in order to teacher train so if I get accepted then I will go there and leave Liverpool in order to become a teacher!

Listen. Don't give up! I struggled with English all my life and to this day I struggle with spelling and reading. If I don't recognise the word I'd re-read it like 10 times till I've exhausted all the possible ways of saying it.

It was my biggest insecurity in school and I constantly second guess myself. When I was at uni I took a dyslexic test which came out negative. However, I'm still convinced I have dyslexia. When it came to completing the literacy test I was convinced I'd fail. I managed to pass first time using youtube.

I recommend going through videos on youtube and pick up all the tips and tricks.
Original post by ByEeek
I don't want to sound harsh, but is this constant failure perhaps telling you something? It is worth noting that every teacher is a teacher of English and Mathermatics in the UK school system hence the requirement for maths and English. Many of the kids in my school including those targetted 3s and 4s hold unrealistic dreams of being doctors and lawyers. There is nothing wrong with failure and failing. But sometimes it is necessary to accept that we simply can't jump over the wall in front of us and instead focus our efforts and energy on something we can achieve.

Just a thought. Good luck!

Who the f’ are you to judge? I’m not surprised you’re a teacher?? Non of your lot are ‘perfect’ either seeing as every time anyone hears about ‘teachers’ these days its usually after they’ve committed some vile crime which involves child abuse. 3’s and 4’s you say? And what are these? Another mediocre ‘structure’ in which to limit a child’s progress because that’s been the general tone in teaching since the 1980’s and we all know it’s nothing to do with aiding a child’s educational development at all, its to do with the fact no one wants to be a teacher anymore, much less a maths teacher! Every state educated child has suffered under that hinderance to the point where most parents I knew started paying private tutors and those kids did go on to be ‘doctors and lawyers’. You idiot. You shouldn’t be in the job. In fact you shouldn’t be anywhere near education or childcare with that attitude.
I have failed the QTS numeracy test again this evening for what feels like the 30th time!!

I have been trying to pass it since 2015! But I just fail every time. Tonight was by 3 marks.

I am currently on a one year contract as a unqualified English teacher but if I don’t pass it by July then I will not be able to train in my currrent host school.

I have had tutors, bought the DVD’s, read the books, sat oractice tests, revised, downloaded the app, Skyped with tutors and friends, lived and breathed maths, went to night classes at college, been to the doctor and had CBT and been put in tablets, been allowed 25% time in the test, tried time myself to help with the mental arithmetic etc. But I still cannot pass.

I have as of this year been accepted on to 5 PGCE salaried courses and every year for the past 4 years come 31at August I have had to decline my offer as I cannot pass the maths skills test to gain entry on the course.

I have spent so much money on tests, tutors, revision packs and apps etc. I have deadicated so much time to revising and practicing over and over and over and over and over and I am still not quick enough for the mental section or can cope with the test.

The constant failure is so demoralising and disheartening now it’s really affecting my confidence, self esteem and how I view myself.

I am surrounding daily by people who have and can pass it and I cannot not. I feel so different and that I am the only one in this constant black hole of failure over and over again and I cannot break through to succeed.

I am desperate to pass, would sell my soul to the devil himself at this stage but cannot seem to do it.

I am going to walk away from teaching entirely come July 2019 as I cannot financially or emotionally or for my mental health continue to put myself through these tests as it’s being destroying me now.

Can anything think of genuine suggestions to help me break through or has anyone been in a somewhat similar scenario and made it through?

I don’t want sympthay or pity, I just want to pass so I never have to look or think about this test ever again and become a teacher.

Thank you

Sounds like you’re getting over anxious now and maths is unique in that it can test everyone’s patience in every way. It’s different from every other subject as you’re only dealing with one component - number, while trying to apply an unlimited amount of rule and protocol so this is why it’s so difficult for the brain. E.g it’d be easier for you to remember a shopping list with five different items on it rather than a list with five of the same item but with each one spelled differently. So you need a really good memory and a lot of time. But if you’re only a few marks off a pass can you not find out where you’re losing the marks? Maybe it’s a bit of exam nerves mixed in too and that can need working on just as much as the subject. I hated exams and used to have a glass of red wine before I went in, it’s alcohol yes but red wine does help and it took the edge off.
Reply 18

Thank you

I would say have a break and remain positive. I passed after 9 gos or more and I was always 1 to 3 marks away..Relax and chill take the test again and you Will pass.
Original post by Lizzyweb12
Who the f’ are you to judge? I’m not surprised you’re a teacher?? Non of your lot are ‘perfect’ either seeing as every time anyone hears about ‘teachers’ these days its usually after they’ve committed some vile crime which involves child abuse. 3’s and 4’s you say? And what are these? Another mediocre ‘structure’ in which to limit a child’s progress because that’s been the general tone in teaching since the 1980’s and we all know it’s nothing to do with aiding a child’s educational development at all, its to do with the fact no one wants to be a teacher anymore, much less a maths teacher! Every state educated child has suffered under that hinderance to the point where most parents I knew started paying private tutors and those kids did go on to be ‘doctors and lawyers’. You idiot. You shouldn’t be in the job. In fact you shouldn’t be anywhere near education or childcare with that attitude.

My apologies. You are quite right. So what should I do to prevent limiting kid's expectations?

BTW - have you ever heard of the strategy of failing fast?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending