LucyDee1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there,

I really feel for you, as I can see your passion for teaching! YouTube videos really helped me, and, when you have your whiteboard, sit down and immediately write out your iffy times tables, and fractions.

For me, I wrote down the 6, 7 and 8 timestables, and I also wrote down that 0.125 is an eighth and that 0.875 is 7/8 or seven eighths. This really helped me, as I then had a memory bank to refer to and just had to make sure I listened to the questions. Also, write down the important part of the question as she’s reading it out for the first time.

Practice makes perfect. If you are still struggling, maybe seek an assessment for discalculia - if you are feeling fuzzy and confused when you try to picture fractions and numbers, perhaps something is holding you back that needs to be sorted out first? I’m no expert, but a few children at my school have this, it’s a little like dyslexia, but for number processing instead.

Wishing you the very best of luck!
Lucy
Petetyerman
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think a discalculia and dyslexia screening test you might have i memory issues which could give these results
Kathrynr87
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, Firstly, I 100% feel your pain!! I know how useless and unworthy you feel. I’ve been there! I had tutors, bought additional practice papers and revised for 2 hours a night too. The thing that made a big difference to me (in relation to the 49/70 question above) was to write down the 7x tables up to 12 on the whiteboard whilst waiting for the test to begin and during the practice question. That way I didn’t need to understand, I only needed to count up to 7 and then onto 10. I also wrote down other times tables and conversions such as 12.5% = 1/8.I hope that helps you xxx
Ckapo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
I don't want to sound harsh, but is this constant failure perhaps telling you something? It is worth noting that every teacher is a teacher of English and Mathermatics in the UK school system hence the requirement for maths and English. Many of the kids in my school including those targetted 3s and 4s hold unrealistic dreams of being doctors and lawyers. There is nothing wrong with failure and failing. But sometimes it is necessary to accept that we simply can't jump over the wall in front of us and instead focus our efforts and energy on something we can achieve.

Just a thought. Good luck!
Oh well the test is being discontinued as they realised how irrelevant it is. I guess kmatthewd89 is meant to be a teacher after all!
Ckapo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
I don't want to sound harsh, but is this constant failure perhaps telling you something? It is worth noting that every teacher is a teacher of English and Mathermatics in the UK school system hence the requirement for maths and English. Many of the kids in my school including those targetted 3s and 4s hold unrealistic dreams of being doctors and lawyers. There is nothing wrong with failure and failing. But sometimes it is necessary to accept that we simply can't jump over the wall in front of us and instead focus our efforts and energy on something we can achieve.

Just a thought. Good luck!
Oh well the test is being discontinued as they realised how irrelevant it is. I guess kmatthewd89 is meant to be a teacher after all!
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ckapo)
Oh well the test is being discontinued as they realised how irrelevant it is.
That's a shame. Because every teachervis teacher of maths and English and PSHE and life and relationships. Oh and your subject.
aa.slix
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Guys, my test is tomorrow. I'm literally revising from all the recommended websites. This will be my 3rd attempt so hopefully I pass otherwise I lose my place on the PGCE course
tomlam
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by aa.slix)
Guys, my test is tomorrow. I'm literally revising from all the recommended websites. This will be my 3rd attempt so hopefully I pass otherwise I lose my place on the PGCE course
Did you pass?
Esslayhan
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey,if its any condolence I failed today by 5 marks which was 2 marks more than my first test.Don't give up, keep trying.It seems to me that you have a lot of stress and anxiety- if there its any negativity or toxic behaviour surrounding you- which is hindering your progress, then don't be shy in removing it.Also, some good news to make you smile, as of this September, the QTS test are being abolished!!!So, you could ideally postpone until 2020? ;-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (29)
27.88%
Less motivated (75)
72.12%

Watched Threads