Psychology/geography considered as sciences? A-level options Watch

Amy1302
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have chosen 4 A-levels to study next year - biology, chemistry, geography and religious studies. I am unsure of which degree I would like to do or what career I am interested in so believe theses subjects should keep my options open.

I think I would be most likely to do a degree in a science (something like biology or environmental sciences). I am taking chemistry because although I don't enjoy that much I believe it will help with a science degree and I think I may prefer the A-level course to GCSE. Although, if I don't enjoy chemistry and it isn't looking possible for me to get a decent grade at A-level I will drop it after the first year. If I do enjoy it I will drop RS.

I am thinking that maybe I should swap RS for psychology in my options. This is because I think I will enjoy psychology and if I do drop chemistry (so I would be taking biology, geography and psychology alevels) but still want to do a biology degree I think that psychology would count as a second science (compared to if I stuck with my options at the moment so would be taking biology, geography and RS)? But I also wandered if geography would be just as likely to count as a second science so I would still be ok to stay with RS?

Overall I want to do RS becauseI believe it brings something new to my A-level choices with an essay-based subject but I wandered that if I am considering a science degree that it would be better to have psychology as a 'back up' science for if I hate chemistry and drop it. OR would universities be just as likely to count geography as a second science. So if a university course counts psychology as a science will it also include geography or is psychology more likely to be considered as a science?
claireestelle
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Amy1302)
I have chosen 4 A-levels to study next year - biology, chemistry, geography and religious studies. I am unsure of which degree I would like to do or what career I am interested in so believe theses subjects should keep my options open.

I think I would be most likely to do a degree in a science (something like biology or environmental sciences). I am taking chemistry because although I don't enjoy that much I believe it will help with a science degree and I think I may prefer the A-level course to GCSE. Although, if I don't enjoy chemistry and it isn't looking possible for me to get a decent grade at A-level I will drop it after the first year. If I do enjoy it I will drop RS.

I am thinking that maybe I should swap RS for psychology in my options. This is because I think I will enjoy psychology and if I do drop chemistry (so I would be taking biology, geography and psychology alevels) but still want to do a biology degree I think that psychology would count as a second science (compared to if I stuck with my options at the moment so would be taking biology, geography and RS)? But I also wandered if geography would be just as likely to count as a second science so I would still be ok to stay with RS?

Overall I want to do RS becauseI believe it brings something new to my A-level choices with an essay-based subject but I wandered that if I am considering a science degree that it would be better to have psychology as a 'back up' science for if I hate chemistry and drop it. OR would universities be just as likely to count geography as a second science. So if a university course counts psychology as a science will it also include geography or is psychology more likely to be considered as a science?
some universities dont consider psychology or geography to be a science at all, more of them would consider psychology to be a science than geography but if you want to do environmental science then geography is a good choice.
Amy1302
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
some universities dont consider psychology or geography to be a science at all, more of them would consider psychology to be a science than geography but if you want to do environmental science then geography is a good choice.
Thank you, yes I am just considering a case when I dont have two core sciences whether I would get away with geography or psychology, and whether I should do psychology because it is more likely to be considered a science.
claireestelle
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Amy1302)
Thank you, yes I am just considering a case when I dont have two core sciences whether I would get away with geography or psychology, and whether I should do psychology because it is more likely to be considered a science.
its all down to whether you're more geared towards biology or environmental science really, if you were happy to do so, you could do biology chemistry psychology and geography and then you can drop chemistry and possibly have both biology and environmental science still open to you.
Max1989
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A 'science' subject is usually characterized via practical work. Neither Geography or psychology (par mabey a trip to a river to or mountain) have these and are much more essay based. Therefore not a science, although they are more sciency than humanity subjects e.g. History, English ect. If you want something more environmental i'd personally do geography, as that is the study of the environment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (140)
18.16%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (78)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (132)
17.12%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (109)
14.14%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (76)
9.86%
How can I be the best version of myself? (236)
30.61%

Watched Threads