The Student Room Group

Thoughts on taking a gap year before applying to med school(UK)

Hi, I am from Australia. I'm hoping to pick someone's brain. I'm currently doing IB and will be graduating in November. if I want to apply to Oxbridge, I'd have to go with my predicted grades and take the BMAT exam in October which might clash with my IB finals. Since people last year from my school got a very different score than their predicted grades. I'm thinking of just focusing on IB this year since I wanna get about 43 at least. I have already done a medical internship in Croatia and an active member of our community club among other things. But if I take a gap it'll be more than a year and a half and I'll be 20 by then. I just don't know what to do ?
Plenty of people start studying medicine at older than 20 (myself included, haven't started yet but have a place for September). If you think you'll do better with a gap year then that sounds sensible, you can get more relevant work experience and having more life experience will likely help you do better at interview.

Oxbridge isn't any better than all the other medical schools though, just fyi.
Reply 2
Original post by jezami
Plenty of people start studying medicine at older than 20 (myself included, haven't started yet but have a place for September). If you think you'll do better with a gap year then that sounds sensible, you can get more relevant work experience and having more life experience will likely help you do better at interview.

Oxbridge isn't any better than all the other medical schools though, just fyi.

Thank you so much for your comment! the only thing I was feeling self-conscious about was being older! thanks heaps
IMO, anyone who is in a position to take a gap year before applying to medicine should. The self insight and work experience you can gain is invaluable, and makes sure you’re applying to med for the right reasons.

I’ll be 24 when I start med school in September (grad), but the number of medics I knew during my first degree who didn’t enjoy the course/the course didn’t align with what they thought it would be/applied because their parents wanted them to was pretty high. If you can stress how you’ve benefited from your gap year at interview, it’ll come across really well.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Pharmacology
IMO, anyone who is in a position to take a gap year before applying to medicine should. The self insight and work experience you can gain is invaluable, and makes sure you’re applying to med for the right reasons.

I’ll be 24 when I start med school in September (grad), but the number of medics I knew during my first degree who didn’t enjoy the course/the course didn’t align with what they thought it would be/applied because their parents wanted them to was pretty high. If you can stress how you’ve benefited from your gap year at interview, it’ll come across really well.

Good luck! :smile:

Thank you so much !! did you apply as an undergraduate ?
Original post by Fara24
Thank you so much !! did you apply as an undergraduate ?

I did, I was totally underprepared and applied for quite naive reasons imo. I got four pre-interview rejections.

I graduated in June from an MSci Pharmacology course, and got some solid shadowing and direct healthcare experience (HCA work). I’ve had 2 offers for places so far this cycle - just goes to show that with a bit of maturity and planning, it works out!

I’m not sure how things work in Aus, but I would say definitely aim for volunteering and paid work if possible. British unis want to see evidence of hands-on care - this is what will set you apart from everyone else. Your academics get you a foot in the door with interviews, and past that it’s your ability to reflect on your experiences and motivation for medicine. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Pharmacology
I did, I was totally underprepared and applied for quite naive reasons imo. I got four pre-interview rejections.

I graduated in June from an MSci Pharmacology course, and got some solid shadowing and direct healthcare experience (HCA work). I’ve had 2 offers for places so far this cycle - just goes to show that with a bit of maturity and planning, it works out!

I’m not sure how things work in Aus, but I would say definitely aim for volunteering and paid work if possible. British unis want to see evidence of hands-on care - this is what will set you apart from everyone else. Your academics get you a foot in the door with interviews, and past that it’s your ability to reflect on your experiences and motivation for medicine. :smile:

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I was thinking if I should participate in some sort of research. I'm going to volunteer with Unicef that's all I know for now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending