Grade 3 to a grade 7? Gcse maths Watch

1102ha11
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
In my December mocks I got a grade 3 for maths. Is it possible to get a 7 for my actual gcse? I don’t know how I got the grade 3 as in class I am usually the first one to complete all tasks set and I do enjoy maths and I do think I’m actually alright at it. As I am doing higher I want to get at least a grade 6 for the real thing but a 7 is what I really want.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ryabareham1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 1102ha11)
In my December mocks I got a grade 3 for maths. Is it possible to get a 7 for my actual gcse? I don’t know how I got the grade 3 as in class I am usually the first one to complete all tasks set and I do enjoy maths and I do think I’m actually alright at it. As I am doing higher I want to get at least a grade 6 for the real thing but a 7 is what I really want.
I think it depends on what you are currently working at. Obviously, the jump from a 3 to a 7 is quite large, do you need it for what you are planning to do at A-levels (if you're doing A-levels)? I took my GCSE's last year and got a 5, 3 marks off a 6 in higher maths when my mocks were a 2 so I'm not saying its impossible, just focus on what you struggle with and perfect that, work on the bigger marked questions as that way you'll be able to gain marks you didn't think you could. Good luck!
1102ha11
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
@ryabareham1

I don’t know what I want to do for my alevels yet still contemplating but personally I think that if I have the opportunity to get a 6/7 then I should work for it I just don’t know if it’s possible due to my low grade. Thanks for the tips! How did u go from a 2 to a 5 what did u do specifically?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by 1102ha11; 1 week ago
ryabareham1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
@ryabareham1

I don’t know what I want to do for my alevels yet still contemplating but personally I think that if I have the opportunity to get a 6/7 then I should work for it I just don’t know if it’s possible due to my low grade. Thanks for the tips! How did u go from a 2 to a 5 what did u do specifically?
That's absolutely fine, you don't have to know right away, I didn't finalise my A-levels till the last week of summer so there is definitely no rush! I've always sucked at maths to be perfectly honest lol but I did a s*** load of past papers. Did I enjoy them? no. Did I despise every single question on there? absolutely, but they helped out so so much and I just practised lots of different styled questions and tried to do them within timed conditions. I know it sounds tedious because everyone says to do them, but it seriously helped. I also had a tutor once a week for about 5 months. I don't know if you have one of if you're thinking about getting one but if you are thinking about it, I highly recommend!! I got on really well with my tutor so I didn't mind going to see her during the week, I think it can be really beneficial to have one as sometimes you need someone to teach you a method in a way that is tailored to fit you specifically rather than a universal technique that is taught to everyone. Most of the time we would run through what I had learnt in the previous week and go over the areas that I was weakest on and solidify that because if you know the basics then it becomes a lot easier to get the marks. Other times we would practise exam-style questions which really helps!
Sorry this is so long hahaha, didn't mean to go off on a tangent but I hope this helps
ReneeJae
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Practice questions and past papers! This is how I revise for maths, and to find what I needed to focus on, I'd do the practice questions and write down what I was weak on. Physics and Maths tutor have past paper practice questions, and mark schemes (for other subjects as well as maths and physics incase you're interested). Also S.Cool have simple revision notes.
On the topics I struggled with, I'd follow example questions until I could do it without refering to the example and understood what I needed to do. There are examples like these online, I often use either this site or Yahoo answers. Also there are solution banks.
Draw diagrams when you can. Model questions often look a lot more complicated than they are.
Don't be afraid to ask friends and teachers for help, I know I'd gladly spend time helping a friend on a particular question.
Make sure you double check all your calculations. It sounds simple but my friend, who got a 9 in maths at GCSE and is currently working at an A at a level, lost a mark because he put 6*1=7. I know atleast half of my lost marks come from small mistakes.
Hope this helps, and good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (49)
9.37%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.68%
No, but I want to start (188)
35.95%
No, I am unable to (122)
23.33%
No, I chose not to (150)
28.68%