Corbyn says Labour will vote for May deal if it fits criteria Watch

Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
He has sent a letter to Theresa May offering Labour support for a deal in Parliament if it includes five legally binding elements:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-may-on-brexit

* A “permanent and comprehensive UK-wide customs union”, including a say in future trade deals.
* Close alignment with the single market, underpinned by “shared institutions”.
* “Dynamic alignment on rights and protections”, so that UK standards do not fall behind those of the EU.
* Clear commitments on future UK participation in EU agencies and funding programmes.
* Unambiguous agreements on future security arrangements, such as use of the European arrest warrant.

This could open the door to an alliance in the Commons between moderate PM-supporting 'soft Brexit' Tories and the bulk of Labour MPs, which would get the deal through.

It's a major shift for Labour and opens up new possibilities. The list is do-able for May and much of it she supports anyway.

This might be the death-knell for Rees-Mogg and the hardline fantasy-Brexit mongers, but it's difficult to tell if May will go for it, since accepting it will make the division in the Tory Party permanent and unsolvable - even to divide.

Quite a big development and perhaps too late in the day now - unless May goes for it and then calls a general election, which seems a possibility.

We live in interesting times.
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
So his 5 tests then? Which the EU will never agree to.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
So his 5 tests then? Which the EU will never agree to.
The EU would be in favour of all of them, as far as I can see. The Customs Union is something the EU want us to stay in - it's the Tories who have repeatedly (and without an electoral mandate) sought to remove us from, with a completely false and unworkable justification that somehow it releases us to trade freely in ways we already do whilst we're still in it.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
The EU would be in favour of all of them, as far as I can see. The Customs Union is something the EU want us to stay in - it's the Tories who have repeatedly (and without an electoral mandate) sought to remove us from, with a completely false and unworkable justification that somehow it releases us to trade freely in ways we already do whilst we're still in it.
I think you are right, certainly favours the EU more than it does us.
username1738683
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
He has sent a letter to Theresa May offering Labour support for a deal in Parliament if it includes five legally binding elements:

* A “permanent and comprehensive UK-wide customs union”, including a say in future trade deals.
* “Dynamic alignment on rights and protections”, so that UK standards do not fall behind those of the EU.
* Clear commitments on future UK participation in EU agencies and funding programmes.
* Unambiguous agreements on future security arrangements, such as use of the European arrest warrant.

This could open the door to an alliance in the Commons between moderate PM-supporting 'soft Brexit' Tories and the bulk of Labour MPs, which would get the deal through.

It's a major shift for Labour and opens up new possibilities. The list is do-able for May and much of it she supports anyway.

This might be the death-knell for Rees-Mogg and the hardline fantasy-Brexit mongers, but it's difficult to tell if May will go for it, since accepting it will make the division in the Tory Party permanent and unsolvable - even to divide.

Quite a big development and perhaps too late in the day now - unless May goes for it and then calls a general election, which seems a possibility.

The Labour party have two Brexit policies, one for London and another for everything that sits outside. Freedom of movement is a red-line for their heartlands and for that reason... this is no more than meanngless waffle by spineless characters. Waste of time to treat any of this seriously, a bunch of nobodies interested in grabbing power and nothing else. They've always hated the country, anyway.
Last edited by username1738683; 2 weeks ago
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Absolutely. They want the softest Brexit possible. Really, they'd be happiest if we unilaterally revoked.

I am quite happy Starmer, the softie proponent, has been listened to by the Party. I do wonder what is the point of even leaving on this basis; it seems all the positives of Brexit, few as they were, have been lost by this. Won't set our own regulatory standards, will not be able to conclude trade deals in the future (as we'll have CU which does tariffs for us).

Also, leaving the EU will mean losing the benefit of the EAW in terms of surrender requests against Germany and its own citizens, per Germany's Basic Law Art 16(2). Indeed, the terms of Norway and Iceland's agreements allows requested states to refuse to surrender its own nationals (a severe limitation) and are limited (like the old ECE) in terms of political offences.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by zhog)
The Labour party have two Brexit policies, one for London and another for everything that sits outside. Freedom of movement is a red-line for their heartlands and for that reason... this is no more than meanngless waffle by spineless characters. Waste of time to treat any of this seriously, a bunch of nobodies interested in grabbing power and nothing else. They've always hated the country, anyway.
Sorry why have Labour always hated the country?
username1738683
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Sorry why have Labour always hated the country?
Because the country has always refused to consistently vote them into power, presumably. Are you by any chance disputing the notion that Corbyn has always hated his own country, I'm a bit tied up for time.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by zhog)
Because the country has always refused to consistently vote them into power, presumably. Are you by any chance disputing the notion that Corbyn has always hated his own country, I'm a bit tied up for time.
I'm saying you are talking complete rubbish, how on earth can you say Labour hate their own country?

You're jusfication of this "the country has always refused to consistently vote them into power" well how did we end up with, social housing, national health service, national utilities, minimum wage,etc?

How can you say Corbyn hates his own country?
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Absolutely. They want the softest Brexit possible. Really, they'd be happiest if we unilaterally revoked.

I am quite happy Starmer, the softie proponent, has been listened to by the Party. I do wonder what is the point of even leaving on this basis; it seems all the positives of Brexit, few as they were, have been lost by this. Won't set our own regulatory standards, will not be able to conclude trade deals in the future (as we'll have CU which does tariffs for us).

Also, leaving the EU will mean losing the benefit of the EAW in terms of surrender requests against Germany and its own citizens, per Germany's Basic Law Art 16(2). Indeed, the terms of Norway and Iceland's agreements allows requested states to refuse to surrender its own nationals (a severe limitation) and are limited (like the old ECE) in terms of political offences.
Absolutely a 'soft' Brexit is little more than a smoke and mirrors policy to keep us in the EU.

We know now they think the electorate is stupid however yhey must think the electorate is very stupid to not see this.
username1738683
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
How can you say Corbyn hates his own country?
Very easily, I know some about his past and you know nothing. I don't have the time or the will to inform you about any of it, it don't matter.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by zhog)
Very easily, I know some about his past and you know nothing. I don't have the time or the will to inform you about any of it, it don't matter.
Well how convenient is that?

What about the rest of the party, do you not have the will to explain you're ridiculous statement about them either?
Last edited by Burton Bridge; 2 weeks ago
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Not really they have been spouting this meaningless crap for a year or so now
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
PilgrimOfTruth
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
So more utterly DUPLICITOUS behaviour from old Jezbollah Corbyn.

These ridiculous farcical proposals are simply a proposal for us to REMAIN in the EU nothing more.

They are a total betrayal of the people's democratically won referendum to LEAVE the EU.

Coming from Corbyn it is laughable as he has opposed the EU his entire political career.

It should be obvious from that fact then that it is the EU pulling his strings and he is just another EU sock puppet.

Utterly shameful.

The man is simply unelectable and the Looney Labour party unfit to govern.

Meanwhile the bigger issue is that the EU is clearly controlling our government and political parties and is putting on this farcical pantomime. The EU HAS NO INTENTION WHATSOEVER of allowing us to leave.

There is only one way we will ever leave and that is to run as fast as we can to the Exit door with NO DEAL !

We must support No Deal and reject all the Project Fear Billy BS and just get it done.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
We cannot commit to a UK wide customs union nor maintain allignment with the single market, it makes brexit redundant.

Given that Ireland has not moved and May is fudging again, we need a general election with a commitment to a managed no deal.
DSilva
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by zhog)
What a silly, immature individual you are. Those who go into politics does so because they believe their policies would make the country a better place. You may vehmentley disagree with them, as you are entitled to do, but imputing that people who disagree with you 'hate' the country is rather pathetic.

I'd have thought you were above the patriotic **** measuring contest, but I guess not.

Because Zhog, for someone who loves his country so much, you seem to be rather in favour of crushing spending cuts to its institutions and people...
username1738683
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DSilva)
Because Zhog, for someone who loves his country so much, you seem to be rather in favour of crushing spending cuts to its institutions and people...
Fair enough, you would rather spend what you haven't got and saddle future generations with the debt. My comment was about Corbyn and his court, I really believe they hate England and that is not without some basis for it. Corbyn was friends with people who tried to murder Thatcher, what do you make of that?
DSilva
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by zhog)
Fair enough, you would rather spend what you haven't got and saddle future generations with the debt. My comment was about Corbyn and his court, I really believe they hate England and that is not without some basis for it. Corbyn was friends with people who tried to murder Thatcher, what do you make of that?
We clearly do have the money... You would seemingly rather decimate our court system, and reduce our police forces resources to keep us safe due to your flawed understanding of economics.

So hating Thatcher is equivalent to hating this country? Right, okay.

Your basis is that you think anyone who disagrees with you hates this country, which again is rather pathetic and childish.

Thatcher supported Pinochet, a brutal dictator who oppressed his people. The Tories support the Saudis, a brutal regime. They must hate democracy too right?
username1738683
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DSilva)
We clearly do have the money... You would seemingly rather decimate our court system, and reduce our police forces resources to keep us safe due to your flawed understanding of economics.

So hating Thatcher is equivalent to hating this country? Right, okay.

Your basis is that you think anyone who disagrees with you hates this country, which again is rather pathetic and childish.

Thatcher supported Pinochet, a brutal dictator who oppressed his people. The Tories support the Saudis, a brutal regime. They must hate democracy too right?
I asked you 'what do you make of Corbyn's friendliness with people who tried to murder Thatcher', are you by any chance suggesting she was murderable?
DSilva
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by zhog)
I asked you 'what do you make of Corbyn's friendliness with people who tried to murder Thatcher', are you by any chance suggesting she was murderable?
What about Thatcher's friendliness with brutal dictators?

Hating Thatcher does not equate to hating the country.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (95)
14.84%
Yes - a food allergy (68)
10.63%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (16)
2.5%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (16)
2.5%
No (445)
69.53%

Watched Threads