Is a trip to the hygienist worth it? Watch

DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Just been to the dentist, my teeth are all fine but he said I have some mild staining on my teeth. Nothing major, but it's because I drink quite a bit of tea. He said it quite casually so it isn't essential, but I'm wondering if it's worth the visit? My dentist charges £30 for a visit, which is money I'm happy to spend if it's worth it. I just don't know if it is. Can anyone help?
JaredzzC
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
£30 for a Dental Hygiene visit is actually quite a decent price.

It's usually quite effective in removing staining from your teeth, it just depends how keen you are. They appointments tend to be quite thorough and cover quite a few things. They usually do a deep clean which can consist of getting rid of tartar/plaque, washing teeth, polishing, flossing, discussing preventative measures, diet, examining oral hygiene for signs of disease or similar. Appointments roughly last 30-60mins and are quite personalised.

Staining can be removed just from general brushing & use of mouthwash though, although it won't be as quick & if you continue to drink tea a lot then it'll take slightly longer, but it's not impossible to get rid of the staining yourself. Sometimes dentist recommend brushing 3 times a day for this.

If staining is your only concern and it's only casual, then it's really not a necessity to visit them and you could improve the appearance yourself over time. If you haven't visited them before then I would probably recommend just going once for peace of mind.
batter mix
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It is if you want a quick solution and are going to take precautions after but if you are going to continue doing what you are doing then probably not. You can also do away with staining with a committed change in lifestyle over a long period of time.

Also, I had the same problem due to coffee and although I know it’s ghastly, I started using straws and I have seen a change.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (36)
12.68%
Yes - a food allergy (32)
11.27%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (9)
3.17%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
3.17%
No (198)
69.72%

Watched Threads