My Journey On Becoming a Doctor Watch

_pxmudi_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
A 16 year-old girl with big dreams typing this right now!

Well, the title is pretty ironic I'd say. I did my CIE O Levels in 2017 and I got 2As, 1B, 4Cs and 2Ds. But I was so happy seeing my results because I was practically failing Maths, Chemistry and Physics. I was so relieved to see that I did not fail any of my subjects.
Then came my AS exams. Well, that was a huge disappointment for me. I did Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I got a B and 2Ds respectively. You could say I was expecting for 1A and 2Cs the least.
And here I am now. Doing A2 this coming May, going to repeat my Chem and Physics AS as well and additionally doing AS English. I am somehow thinking of getting 4As, at least 3As and 1B the least.
I am so prone to procrastination its pathetic. But my dream has always been to be a doctor, ever since I was small. And I decided I am going to start working towards it.
I think this would be a good platform to share what my journey is; the process. This is a place I can hold myself accountable.
What I am going to do today (its 18:42 in Sri Lanka right now), is to organize my life before doing anything. Going to get out my bullet journal and just write down all the things I should do, organize me deskspace and just get in the zone.
I hope I can achieve my dream.
Wish me good luck!
Last edited by _pxmudi_; 6 days ago
emilynxlan
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Best of luck! :rave:
_pxmudi_
Rep:
?
(Original post by emilynxlan)
Best of luck! :rave:
Thank you so much.
_pxmudi_
Rep:
?
Well today is the day... The day I am going to start revising with no distractions. Its 06:02 right now. Still didn't have my morning tea so thought of updating my blog.

Spoiler:
Show
UPCOMING TESTS
The pre-mocks are coming up in my school. Its going to start on the 20th of February and I have so much to study. Biology I can manage. I guess I can manage Physics too but Chemistry is my weak point these days. I feel like the way they ask questions in Paper 4 (I am doing CIE btw) is so different and so alien. And my teacher said she is going to test us on both AS and A2 organic chemistry.
I need all the luck I can get.

Spoiler:
Show
STUDY SCHEDULE
So I actually saw this on TSR. Its the "Revision Day with TSR" or something thread. I thought the idea was so amazing. So its where you study for 1 1/2 hours and then have a break for 1/2 an hour. I think its an amazing time schedule to study. So I am gonna start around 06:30/06:45 now and go on for 08:00/08:15 and then have a break and so on. Sometimes maybe I will take a longer break but thats if I really need it.

Spoiler:
Show
MY TO-DO LIST FOR TODAY
1. Have to make short notes for the Genetic Technology chapter in Biology. I am like 1/3 through making them but I have to complete them. I find that topic a bit confusing and hard to grasp so I have to get that out of the way.
2. Make flashcards in Chemistry for "Things I Keep Forgetting" or "Typical Exam Questions". I need all the memory I can get for Chemistry.
3. Do a few Physics past papers, open-book style. I find that it helps me. Don't get me wrong, I am gonna do them in exam conditions around mid-March and throughout April.

So that's my rough idea for now.

Spoiler:
Show
IDEAS FOR BREAK-TIME
I have downloaded Episodes 5 & 6 of Pretty Little Liars 3 but before that I have to watch the newest episode of Riverdale. I have to download it now when the morning data is still there. Anddd maybe I would read my e-book; I am currently reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes or one of my like actual books. OR listen to some songs or watch some Youtube videos. Idk really. :lol:

I CAN DO THIS!!! And I will. I am doing this for me and for no one else (AND maybe to prove some ppl wrong, but mostly its for me).
Last edited by _pxmudi_; 1 week ago
_pxmudi_
Rep:
?
Urgh, its 22:17 right now and I am sooooo sleepy it feels like my eyelids are made with lead. :coma:
So overall I would rate today's productivity a 90/100! :dancing2:

Spoiler:
Show
TASKS I DID
1. I made short notes for the "Genetic Technology" chapter in biology. I wrote like 8 1/2 A4-sized papers! That's an accomplishment for me guys. :cool:
Name:  IMG_20190208_222359 [18560].jpg
Views: 10
Size:  183.6 KB
2. Then I made the "Things I Keep Forgetting" flashcards for Chemistry, Lattice energy chapter. I made around 25 flashcards, and it will be helpful for me in the future.
Name:  IMG_20190208_222931 [18561].jpg
Views: 11
Size:  376.7 KB
3. Lastly I did a Physics pastpaper; 2009 May/June 42. I did it open-book style. I marked it now but I am so sleepy so I am going to refer to the examiner's reports tomorrow.
Name:  IMG_20190208_223911 [18568].jpg
Views: 10
Size:  164.9 KB

You might think "Omg gurl, this so lil' work", but trust me, making those Bio short notes took up half of the day. And well, to be honest the other half of the day, with Chem and Physics, it was a little chill. Nevertheless I completed my to-dos for today.

Spoiler:
Show
WHAT I DID IN BREAK TIMES
OK so I watched the newest episode of Riverdale. The episode wasn't that exciting this time but I liked it and it was a good break-time. I also watched a few youtube videos and at 21:00 watched my usual TV series on the TV. Its this Turkish teledrama and I think its English name is "Orphan Flowers". Its a nice one. Its about 5 girls living in an orphanage. I am not sure whether there is an English-dubbed version but over here in Sri Lanka its dubbed in our language.

So guys, that was my first update in this GYG series. Today was a goody day and well, let's see what tomorrow brings. Good night, sweet dreams! :heart:
_pxmudi_
Rep:
?
By the way, anyone who wants to get tagged can just ask me to, and I will definitely tag you. I just don't want to tag random people (I am new so I'm just getting to know members over here) and be annoying.
_pxmudi_
Rep:
?
Well today is Saturday... Its the weekend and I should relax, right? Nuh-huh missus, I can't. :cry:
OK so I will be posting here daily for the first few days and then I'll go weekly perhaps, idk, it depends on what comes at me during the days to come.

Spoiler:
Show
OK, so I kept my alarm for 05:00 in the morning but I literally shut down my alarm and eventually woke up at 06:21. To top it off, my mom told me that I look too relaxed and that I sleep too much, and that I don't wake up in the morning. :shifty: Not a good start to the day.

Spoiler:
Show
PLACES I HAVE TO GO TODAY
OK so today I have my Physics tuition classes at 10:30 in the morning. Before you think anything, in Sri Lanka, tuition classes are actually a thing. I personally do not like the idea of everyone going to an additional tuition class but its like you cannot just be the odd one out and stay at home. And well, you are learning what you learnt again, and that's not bad.

Spoiler:
Show
MY TO-DO FOR THE DAY
1. I have to finish marking the paper I did yesterday. I marked it actually but I have to check the examiner's report of that paper.
2. I have to finish making the short notes for that "Genetic Technology" chapter in Bio.
3. And then I have to start making short notes for A2 organic chemistry, because my teacher said she is going to have revision for AS and A2 organic chemistry on Monday. I have short notes done on my AS so I have to make for A2. And probably check on some organic chem questions...

Spoiler:
Show
BREAK-TIME IDEAS
Imma watch episode 5 of PLL 3 today. I am not sure whether I would be able to because my mom is at home today and she would screw me if she sees me watching TV series. :s:

Will update you guys at the end of the day. Hope everyone has a good day of Growing Your Grades. :heart:
Last edited by _pxmudi_; 1 week ago
brainzistheword
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Good luck! Loving the updates
_pxmudi_
Rep:
?
(Original post by brainzistheword)
Good luck! Loving the updates
Thank you so much!
_pxmudi_
Rep:
?
Oh well, here I am for the update. So first of all I couldn't post this last night (I am talking taking into account my time zone) because my home Wi-Fi package is finished for the month. Actually the day-time Wi-Fi, but the night-time Wi-Fi is there, which is available from 00:00 to 08:00. So that is what I am using.

OK, so I was not that productive yesterday.

Spoiler:
Show
DIARY ENTRY OF THE DAY
So I marked my Physics paper properly, wrote down all the answers for the questions I flunked, checked the examiner's report and literally just tried to understand all the questions.
Then I had to go to my Physics tuition class, which was there from 10:30 to 13:30! :bawling:
And then I so needed a break and decided to watch the PLL episode. Now even though the episode is only around 60 minutes long, it took me like 2 hours to finish watching it. Because I had to do it undercover. I was doing a "pretending to study" act while watching PLL! :colonhash:
After that I started doing my Bio short notes, and well, I was just distracted from time to time. I couldn't just sit in one place and do the work. So there is a little more left to make short notes from.
And I couldn't make short notes on organic chem.

Such an unproductive day guys, literally.
_pxmudi_
Rep:
?
As for today... I AM GOING TO GET THE WORK I HAVE TO DO, DONE! :dumbells:

Spoiler:
Show
UPCOMING TESTS/ASSIGNMENTS

So as I mentioned before, I have my organic chemistry revision on Monday (tomorrow).
AND I got to know yesterday that the pre-mock practical tests for Physics and Chem are on Monday and Friday, respectively. (I am sure you remember me saying that I am repeating my AS Chemistry and Physics while doing my A2?) Why did i get to know it on Saturday and not Friday? :bawling: The consequences of not going to school on Friday, missus.

Spoiler:
Show
PLACES I NEED TO GO

I have a Biology revision class at 08:30 till 10:30. After that I have my normal Bio tuition class at the same place from 13:00 to 15:00. Normally I go on Wed for the latter but this week I didn't. So I am not gonna go home in between the break because its just 2 1/2 hours. Gonna be eating from McDonalds, KFC or Dinemore and just hang out with my bestfriend. :pizza:

Spoiler:
Show
MY TO-DO FOR THE DAY

First off I need to revise the blood glucose control and plant homeostasis lessons for the revision class right now. Good thing I have all my revision cards already made here using the TSR revision cards.
Then after coming home, and probably resting for a lifetime, I am gonna check my Physics practical papers from last year, to try and remember how to build the setup, measure and calculate, because I can't remember anything! I am hoping to get at least a 20-25 out of 30. This was just sudden, I mean its practically TOMORROW! fshgfshgfghsfgghshggf :afraid:
Lastly, I AM GOING TO FINISH THOSE BIO SHORT NOTES TODAY IF ITS THE LAST THING I'LL DO! :horns: OMG and I also have to do Physics past papers for school tomorrow!!! whyyyy..........

Spoiler:
Show
BREAK-TIME IDEAS

NoT watching any PLL episodes today, I have a lot of work to get done. sorry :sigh:
_pxmudi_
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Well well well lessee my update now, shall we?

Spoiler:
Show
DIARY ENTRY FOR YESTERDAY

So I actually managed to do all the things I wanted to do except doing Physics past papers for school. :bawling: Its gonna be a hard time for me today. Literally I wasn't home from 7:15 till around 16:15. I normally travel in public buses so that's why I had to leave home early and came home like 1 hour and 15 minutes later. (I am talking about going for Bio classes, if anyone's confused. :lol:) Bio class was pretty OK. From 08:30 to 10:30 we did revision on blood glucose control & plant homeostasis. Then we had a break till 13:00, and during that break me and my bestfriend went to McDonalds. :pizza: Then from 13:00 to 15:00 we did papers, and I did pretty well. I do the 52 papers well so that's good.
I was SO tired when I came home; I literally was so tired. But sadly, I had work to complete so I started finishing those damned Bio short notes on the "Genetic Technology" chapter and...I...FINISHED MAKING THEM!!! :rave: finally right? And that took up my whole time. I finished making them at around 23:20 and I passed out like *poof*.

So today (11/02) I woke up at around 04:30 because I couldn't look up at my AS Physics practical papers yesterday. I looked all of them up a little while ago and I feel more confident about the test tooday. *eek*
Spoiler:
Show
MY TO-DO FOR THE DAY

Going to start up on my A2 organic chemistry short notes.
If I am going to school tomorrow I will have to do Physics papers for tomorrow.
And if I am going for Chem classes tomorrow I have to get the papers due done as well.
SO MUCH TO DO BUT SO LITTLE TIME :afraid:

Spoiler:
Show
TESTS/ASSIGNMENTS

Going to have my organic chemistry revision at school today. Its not 100% sure whether it would be there and I hope not because I couldn't study for it.
Gonna have my pre-mock practical test for Physics AS that I am repeating. :no: Feeling a bit confident after looking over the past papers I have done in AS but I still feel like I will struggle in doing it. please please I hope not

Going to go to school today (obviously). And then come home and do my to-dos for today. My life is so wonderful. :hmpf:
_pxmudi_
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Well here I am... Wow I cannot stress how much unproductive I've been yesterday and today. So OK I did some work, I am not meaning like not even glancing at a book type of unproductive, but I just didn't do enough work. So the off point was, as I went to school yesterday and today, as soon as I came home I just watched youtube videos one after the other while eating and by the time I realized it, 2 hours have gone by! :bawling: Urgh! Why am I so careless???
The other thing I figured was I sort of put away the idea of my study schedule (studying for 1 1/2 hours and then having a break for 1/2 an hour) yesterday and today and that totally flunked my 2 days. So I highly recommend having a schedule like that so you can balance your study and break times, if not you are gonna go out of hand. Its 18:26 right now. When I realized that I sort of messed up, I decided to just go and do a little cleaning/organising of my deskspace, books, bed, cloth rack,etc. Just took me like 5-10min but it just refreshed me up so much. Then I had a bodywash and here I am now. (Went on IG for 10min because I didn't go on IG for like 3-4 days.) But now I am feeling like smashing again so that's good. Feeling a little fatigued however so might take a nap as well. But I am up for the task again, Thank God! :flower2:

Spoiler:
Show
UPDATES ON MY TESTS/ASSIGNMENTS

OK, so first of all I had my Chem organic chemistry revision and that was totally chill. She was explaining and helping us throughout.
AS FOR THE PHYSICS PRE-MOCK PRACTICALS, guys in the first practical, I was struggling like for the first 30 minutes. It was where you hang a number of masses with a mass hanger on a string and then rotate it 10 times and release it. The time taken for the mass hanger to stop rotating after releasing was the one we were supposed to measure. I know that's a typical practical but what's hard was that the string was to be kept in place between 2 blocks of wood and clamped to the stand. It was hard to clamp the wood so the string would slide off. It took me like 15 min to get the art of clamping the blocks of wood. And the annoying part was we had to change the length of the string at some points, so I had to unclamp it and clamp it back again. Then with the values I plotted a graph. Well ok to be honest, the graph came out well except for 2 points and I had very little time so I changed the points to fit around the best fit line! :cry2: I just had no choice. So I got the gradient as 0.095 or something and one of my friends got 0.05. That means its sort of close, right? Whatever, I did the second practical, which was way better than the first one. I completed the whole paper except that I couldn't put the % sign for the calculated percentage uncertainty as the lab teacher said that the time was up. :shifty: I at least hope I get a 20-25, I really need that.

So I was making A2 organic chemistry short notes on my laptop yesterday and I realized that I have to make the notes by writing and then condense them into revision cards and stuff on my laptop. If not it just won't go into my head. I also did a Physics 42 paper halfway. Discussed it at school as well. Have more papers to do, more studying to, more revision to do. Urgh, can this exam season be over, please?
Kroznox
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Commenting so that I'll be reminded get the notifications. Is a 'D' a pass for O-Levels? Where are you planning to apply for medicine? How much should I revice for my own IGCSEs so that I can succeed? Thanks for this thread, looks like it has lots of potential
_pxmudi_
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by Kroznox)
Commenting so that I'll be reminded get the notifications. Is a 'D' a pass for O-Levels? Where are you planning to apply for medicine? How much should I revice for my own IGCSEs so that I can succeed? Thanks for this thread, looks like it has lots of potential
Yea well I am doing CIE and I guess 'D' is a pass because I was allowed to do my AS. I think it mostly depends on the subjects you plan on doing for A levels. For example if you are planning to do Bio, Chem and Phy, I think its safe to at least have a 'C' pass for those subjects in O levels.
As I am in Sri Lanka and not doing the Sri Lankan local syllabus I have no chance to study medicine in my country. So I am planning to apply to a European country, but I am 100% not sure which country. Its a little hard as I have to consider the university and the country as well. I'd also like a country a bit cheaper so I am not thinking of UK though.
Just aim for the stars, so that even if you miss, you will land among the moon. Just do your best. Academically-wise obviously getting A*s/As is the most successful, but then not everyone successful have had got good grades, at least not for their IGCSEs. (Now don't go and binge-watch Netflix. :lol:) But for real, just focus on your IGCSEs, they are really important. One mistake I did was not taking my O levels seriously. And the leap from IGCSEs to A levels are huge, so understanding all the IGCSE subjects well and getting good grades would make your transition to A levels a lot happier and easier.
By the way thank you so much for the compliment; appreciate it loads. :blush: So what subjects are you taking for IGCSEs?
Last edited by _pxmudi_; 4 days ago
_pxmudi_
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
:bawling: I know that this is totally irrelevant but, my period started. :bawling: Now that explains why I felt tired yesterday and had a "nap" for like 2 hours, rIgHt?
Anyways...( *tone of Gabriel from 'Jess and Gabriel'* ) I am right now downloading episode 7 of PLL 3 because I thought of not going to school today and I need something to do at break time. Youtube is not such a good idea because it is easy to get lost in all the crap that the auto-suggestions throw at you. This, I will just have to do with one episode and no more.

Spoiler:
Show
MY TO-DOS FOR THE DAY

1. So I ditched the idea of making organic chemistry short notes for now and thought of making short notes for the transition elements chapter. I do not know anything in that lesson. I honestly don't even know what a ligand is. My organic chemistry knowledge sort of got renewed and refreshed from the revision my teacher gave so I have to tackle transition elements for now.
2. I should then focus on English for some time. After all I decided to do English for my A level exams the day before giving in my A2 application. And now here I am with a friend's english textbook which I am going to photocopy. Good thing I am only doing AS of English. But it seems way interesting than O level English, which was soo boring. So I am just gonna read maybe the first chapter or a few sub-lessons in the book and just get to know what to expect. PLEASE, if you have any tips on how to tackle AS English, enlighten me please.
3. Doing Physics papers (for school tomorrow).
4. Probably do a Bio paper as well because I haven't attempted to do a full paper in a while.

The episode just downloaded. YAYYY!!! I just love PLL guys, but FYI, I am just watching one episode per day and thats only also on days that I don't go to school, like today.

If you are wondering why I don't go to school regularly; we finished the syllabus the week before the last in January so now we are doing papers in school. So some days we think of staying home to revise, while most of the days we do go to school.
Wish me good-luck for today. :heart:
Ailurophile03
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by _pxmudi_)
A 16 year-old girl with big dreams typing this right now!

Well, the title is pretty ironic I'd say. I did my CIE O Levels in 2017 and I got 2As, 1B, 4Cs and 2Ds. But I was so happy seeing my results because I was practically failing Maths, Chemistry and Physics. I was so relieved to see that I did not fail any of my subjects.
Then came my AS exams. Well, that was a huge disappointment for me. I did Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I got a B and 2Ds respectively. You could say I was expecting for 1A and 2Cs the least.
And here I am now. Doing A2 this coming May, going to repeat my Chem and Physics AS as well and additionally doing AS English. I am somehow thinking of getting 4As, at least 3As and 1B the least.
I am so prone to procrastination its pathetic. But my dream has always been to be a doctor, ever since I was small. And I decided I am going to start working towards it.
I think this would be a good platform to share what my journey is; the process. This is a place I can hold myself accountable.
What I am going to do today (its 18:42 in Sri Lanka right now), is to organize my life before doing anything. Going to get out my bullet journal and just write down all the things I should do, organize me deskspace and just get in the zone.
I hope I can achieve my dream.
Wish me good luck!
good luck! we have the same dream!
_pxmudi_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ailurophile03)
good luck! we have the same dream!
Thank you so much. :heart:
Being alike in dreams is something huh. :lol: Good luck to you too!
Ailurophile03
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by _pxmudi_)
Thank you so much. :heart:
Being alike in dreams is something huh. :lol: Good luck to you too!
yeah, i am glad i found someone with whom i can discuss about medical things
_pxmudi_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ailurophile03)
yeah, i am glad i found someone with whom i can discuss about medical things
SaMe :^_^:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (47)
9.11%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.71%
No, but I want to start (186)
36.05%
No, I am unable to (119)
23.06%
No, I chose not to (150)
29.07%