Is it worth applying for University? Watch

maddyrowlands123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hey,
So for the past two years I've tried a go at uni- both times, at separate universities, I left after about a month due to my social anxiety. I get really worried meeting new people and always think that they won't like me for whatever reason. Because of this, it made it really difficult for me to attend the lectures or seminars and I ended up not going to any. I fell behind on uni work and just ended up leaving because I couldn't face going.
I really want to go to uni because I want to start building on my career. I'm really interested in things like marine biology, sociology and criminology so its not about the course I want to do; I'm more worried that I will just have a repeat of the last two years and waste time and money.
I spoke to Student Finance and at the moment I'm only eligible for two years of funding- unless I got a doctors note explaining my mental health issues, which would explain why I left uni and make me then eligible for a third year of funding. I went to visit my GP once and got prescribed the medication Propranolol to help calm me down when I'm anxious. I'm also currently on a waiting list to have some CBT.
My obvious two concerns are my anxiety and funding. I really don't want to end up going for a third time and once again dropping out. I do really want to overcome my anxiety and get out in the world to meet new people and experience new things, as well as learn. I'm currently at home most of the week doing nothing as I'm quite anxious about starting a new job (for reasons I previously explained). For the funding issue, I would want some opinions on if you think I would be able to get a doctors note for my issues. I've never been diagnosed with anything but I've been prescribed medication and issued some therapy so I don't know if that would be enough for one?
I just would like some opinions on my situation and what you would suggest for me to do.
Thanks,
Maddy x
brookseve21
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi Maddy,

I know exactly how you feel. I suffer from social anxiety also, and am on two different types of medication for it, as well as CBT. I originally went to a University 4 hours away from my home, and that made things so much worse, I only lasted there for three weeks. So I moved back home and went to a local University, and commute there, it takes about an hour. But it has helped me so much - knowing I can just go in for my lectures then come home, to my boyfriend, friends, family and familiar environment. It also meant I could keep my current job, so I didn't have the anxiety of applying for part-time work in a new location. Not sure if this would be an option for you as I don't know your location but maybe it's a possibility because it was the right choice for me. Sure I still struggle daily with my anxiety but it is a lot more manageable. The other option is Open University? Where you study online. I can't give you any info on financing about that though as I haven't done it.

Keep your head up and everything will sort out for the best xx
University of Plymouth
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by maddyrowlands123)
Hey,
So for the past two years I've tried a go at uni- both times, at separate universities, I left after about a month due to my social anxiety. I get really worried meeting new people and always think that they won't like me for whatever reason. Because of this, it made it really difficult for me to attend the lectures or seminars and I ended up not going to any. I fell behind on uni work and just ended up leaving because I couldn't face going.
I really want to go to uni because I want to start building on my career. I'm really interested in things like marine biology, sociology and criminology so its not about the course I want to do; I'm more worried that I will just have a repeat of the last two years and waste time and money.
I spoke to Student Finance and at the moment I'm only eligible for two years of funding- unless I got a doctors note explaining my mental health issues, which would explain why I left uni and make me then eligible for a third year of funding. I went to visit my GP once and got prescribed the medication Propranolol to help calm me down when I'm anxious. I'm also currently on a waiting list to have some CBT.
My obvious two concerns are my anxiety and funding. I really don't want to end up going for a third time and once again dropping out. I do really want to overcome my anxiety and get out in the world to meet new people and experience new things, as well as learn. I'm currently at home most of the week doing nothing as I'm quite anxious about starting a new job (for reasons I previously explained). For the funding issue, I would want some opinions on if you think I would be able to get a doctors note for my issues. I've never been diagnosed with anything but I've been prescribed medication and issued some therapy so I don't know if that would be enough for one?
I just would like some opinions on my situation and what you would suggest for me to do.
Thanks,
Maddy x
Hi Maddy,

I'm so sorry that you've had these issues. A lot of people suffer from the same issues when they go to University - it's a new environment with unfamiliar people and unfamiliar schedules. I actually had very bad anxiety when I went to uni, so please don't feel like you're alone. One thing that brookseve21 said above is some very invaluable advice - do you have a uni local to you which offers the courses you're interested in? It could be a very good idea to attend a university close by, so you can still live at home. If the social aspect scares you, you can solely go for the lectures. Like brooseve21 said again, have you looked at Open University courses?

Another alternative is finding a University that you really like and speaking with the accommodation services to see if you can find a place to live where you can share with like-minded people? I know our halls of residence run personality tests, so people are comfortable and happy because they're living with like-minded people. You also have options to live in smaller flats, etc.

I think with University, it really is okay to take your time. It's very important to go when you are ready, as it's a huge thing to undertake and realistically you don't want to sacrifice your student finance. If you have one last chance to study a degree, and you really really want to, take the time and make sure you're ready. You say that you don't do much at the moment - do you have any hobbies? It could be a great idea to try and build up your activities week by week, which in turn could build your confidence.

I hope this helps - let me know if you have any questions Universities also have mental health services which you can access, so if you do go again, remember that your university will want to help you as much as possible

- Seren, University of Plymouth Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (42)
11.93%
Yes - a food allergy (39)
11.08%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
3.13%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.56%
No (251)
71.31%

Watched Threads